Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Pub In London

Comments

• Options
    For Steve Dowman and Robbo on the Wing....

I was drinking in the Wat Tyler on the Ferrier one day when a deep blue smoke bomb was let off. The pub filled with dense smoke in seconds and we all staggered out coughing and spluttering holding our pints. When the smoke had cleared sufficiently the landlord lead us all back in. It was then that he realised the fruit machine had gone which was typical. Can't say I miss the Ferrier.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was in The Bull, Shooters Hill last night. I haven't been in there for years. What a great pub! Proper boozer, two bars which I think is really important. Not enough two bar pubs around anymore. I have always been a Saloon Bar man myself but appricieate a Public Bar too.
    Seems really well run, plenty of punters in there and a fantastic range of ales availiable including Gales HSB and Sharpes Doombar.
    I will definately be returning soon.

Good job you wern't in there friday night Chirpy barely enough punters for a game of crib! it blows hot and cold in that boozer, one week its a great pub the following its dead and gets right rough when the golf lot get in there ;)
  • Options
    I like the Bull
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]For Steve Dowman and Robbo on the Wing....

I was drinking in the Wat Tyler on the Ferrier one day when a deep blue smoke bomb was let off. The pub filled with dense smoke in seconds and we all staggered out coughing and spluttering holding our pints. When the smoke had cleared sufficiently the landlord lead us all back in. It was then that he realised the fruit machine had gone which was typical. Can't say I miss the Ferrier.

ah, the Wat Tyler, I have some very dodgy memories of that pub and the characters that drank there, miss the Ferrier? as a 15 year stalwart...........no
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]I like the Bull[/quote]

Say hello to a guy called Richard in there for us;
    A Derek Hales lookalike, sits at the bar.
    Mention me and he'll buy you drink !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]I like the Bull

Say hello to a guy called Richard in there for us;
    A Derek Hales lookalike, sits at the bar.
    Mention me and he'll buy you drink !
    Will do
  • Options
    use to enjoy a light and bitter in the yorkshire grey when i was 15.how i got away with being served in my school uniform is beyond me.the wat tyler was a scarey place to be.full of phsychos with knifes and one bloke use to carry a small axe for insurance.reckon the best places are in greenwich now like the plume richard first greenwich union and vanbruh which is where kish and his mate got me a beer one sunday night about 6 year ago.crap footballer top geezer
  • Options
    re: The Star in Plumstead, it is a nice pub albeit a bit like sitting in your own front room. My Grandad, bless him, still has lunch there every day.

Brian is the landlord and has been for years-he's Charlton through and through and so are most of the regulars.

The Camden in Bexleyheath has been my pub of choice for years although I wouldn't be putting it forward for any awards.......
  • Options
    Walked to Chirpy and Soundas favourite pub Dacre Arms. Very nice little pub and really tucked away - i had to put my sat nav on to find it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Walked to Chirpy and Soundas favourite pub Dacre Arms. Very nice little pub and really tucked away - i had to put my sat nav on to find it!

Expect you've picked upon this Curbs....but the landlord 'used' to be the governor of The Beehive(The Wasps Nest) in New Eltham....think he has the right idea now don't you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Princess Louise in Holborn
  • Options
    I make you right Off_It

All top boozers, to which I'd add the Royal Oak in Borough too.
  • Options
    Will be in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market tonight - one of my favourites.
  • Options
    Just a quick advert for The Golden Lion (The Axe) in Sydenham........
    Every Friday is R&B Night, with the excellent "Steve Matthews Band" playing amongst many others....
    Free to get in.
    Also, theres a Jazz night on the last Thursday of everymonth with many "Ronnie Scott" regulars there.
    (was told yesterday that the next jazz night is being organised by a CAFC seasonticket holder..........).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Walked to Chirpy and Soundas favourite pub Dacre Arms. Very nice little pub and really tucked away - i had to put my sat nav on to find it!

Expect you've picked upon this Curbs....but the landlord 'used' to be the governor of The Beehive(The Wasps Nest) in New Eltham....think he has the right idea now don't you.

Yes i read that before. I dont know him and he wasnt working behind the bar. A real locals local it was very busy when leaving about 7ish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

Yes i read that before. I dont know him and he wasnt working behind the bar. A real locals local it was very busy when leaving about 7ish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

I take it you saw 'Barney' who some call the landlord....he's the most engaging West Highland Terrier...what a character!
  • Options
    Yes i did - we had to step over him to leave as he was taking up the spot at the front door looking out on his world.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Will be in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market tonight - one of my favourites.

Sadly closed down according to Chirpy higher up the thread.

It was always one of my favourite City pubs too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes i did - we had to step over him to leave as he was taking up the spot at the front door looking out on his world.

Ha ha...that's our Barney!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Will be in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market tonight - one of my favourites.

Sadly closed down according to Chirpy higher up the thread.

It was always one of my favourite City pubs too.

No. it's not closed, just not the pub it was. Alas since Youngs sold out to Charles Wells the emphasis is now days on making the pubs into restaurants.
    The Lamb was run by the same family for over 50 years, when David Clarke retired the place went steadly downhill.
  • Options
    The Wellington, Waterloo - good food, good drink, good atmosphere during a World Cup or any sports
  • Options
    who runs the wellington red robin. The man who used to run the Station Hotel in welling for many years was landlord last time i was in there... when there was a big off in there amongst pompey fans. me and suzi were okay we hid behind 1905.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]who runs the wellington red robin. The man who used to run the Station Hotel in welling for many years was landlord last time i was in there... when there was a big off in there amongst pompey fans. me and suzi were okay we hid behind 1905.

Not a clue! Just thought it was a decent pub!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]who runs the wellington red robin. The man who used to run the Station Hotel in welling for many years was landlord last time i was in there... when there was a big off in there amongst pompey fans. me and suzi were okay we hid behind 1905.

I was in there with Cuff a couple of years back when it kicked off between some Yeovil fans (I think) and some 'orrible look scroats - 4 or 5 aside. Tables chairs and glass flying everywhere. Anyway, the barmaids all legged it and out from the behind the bar stepped the one bloke working there at the time to get in amongst it and split the two sides up - brave fella. Me and Cuff stepped in to give him a hand and afterwards he bought us a pint and said his name was Mark and he was Charlton. Looked a bit like Mark Hulyer, but obviously wasn't.

He mentioned something about Pompey fans kicking off amongst themselves. Might've known you were there egging it on!
    ;o)
  • Options
    My all time favourites
    Volunteer, Bexleyheath
    Pineapple, Lambeth
    Pelton Arms, Greenwich (is it still a proper pub?)
    Grey Horse, Sunbury
  • Options
    Around Plumstead Common, both The Star (for being a proper pub with two bars), and the Old Mill (for being a real ale pub - in the good pub guide) are the choice for me. Plus I can call them my "locals".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sunbury-addick[/cite]My all time favourites
    Volunteer, Bexleyheath
    Pineapple, Lambeth
    Pelton Arms, Greenwich (is it still a proper pub?)
    Grey Horse, Sunbury

The pelton Arms is temporarily renamed The Nags Head as using it for filming the only fools and horses programme. I took a pic yesterday if i can work out to post it i will.

Off It - thats probably the same bloke as his name is Mark. Didnt realise he was a charlton fan tho.
  • Options
    Cant see anyone mention the george up borough. Lovely old pub
  • Options
    CommentAuthorleftbehind CommentTimeNov 22nd 2007 # 21
    Copy URL as:
    Text
    Html
    BBCodeThe Griffin? were i used to liek the Griffin outside Charing X in the 80's before London Derby's

I remember you hiding under the table