Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jerome "not a clue" Thomas.....

Should be doing his tricks up Covent Garden and not anywhere near a football pitch!!!
Ok, He has pace and Skill but has he ever produced a final product?
Jerome, you are the weakest link, NOW FCUK OFF !!!

Comments

• u must be on a wind up, why pick on him, he was better than any of the other midfielders yesterday, and again on sat.

why not discuss any of the other midfielders, especially reid who at times was playin deeper than sodje or fortune. Thomas tried last night and was throwing himself into challenges where as captain reid was bottling them.
  • Weakest link? I thought he was our best midfielder by a country mile last night. ZZ was shocking and Lloyd Sam quite impressively was worse. Bad day at the office but Jerome looked like our only player who was going to create something.
  • edited November 2007
    My point is...
    Its piss easy to play around with a ball all day but can you honestly say he has produced more than 1 cross in a game. He seems to dance around the pitch with as much skill as anyone in the premier or Championship but falls short of the final product. Agree about the rest of the midfield but you can not honestly be serious about his challenges, he backs out of every one and only tackles when he falls or trips into a tackle
  • Its amazing how everyone sees the game differently.

I thought he was one of the better players, certainly the pick of the midfield, though that wasn't saying much. Was our most likely source of attack, and also i noticed put a lot more in defensively as well.
  • GHE

You must seriously be watching a different game if the one person you pull up to have a go at is Jerome Thomas.

First of all if it was easy to play around with the ball all day then why could none of our players actually control it for the first half?

He's got one player to aim at. and he's being marked by 2 defenders. It isnt easy picking out the inch perfect ball when you've got one well marked heead to aim at. So they end up trying to pass it into the box.

The way I saw it was a bad performance all round. But a bad performance that could easily have gone the other way had ZZ not missed an open goal when we were running all over them.

But to pick Jerome out as our worst player, who's inclusion in the team has coincided with our return to form over the last 4 games, is bizarre to say the least.
  • I am not picking him out as the worst player last night just trying to explain how frustrating i find him, i agree that there were a few players out last night that didn't perform but i am afraid i want more from a player than the ability to fanny around with a ball.

I am not even saying that he should be replaced, just forget about all the training ground crap have some bottle do something constructive. How many times last night did he ghost past 4 defenders and then either bottle out of a shot, run the ball of the pitch or simply fall over?

As for the recent(until last night) turn in fortune, i don't think anyone could put that down to Thomas. Surely that has been since big Sam has come in at the back to clean things up.
  • I hope that Jerome isn't reading GHE's thread as a basis for what the rest of us fans think about him.

He was and is one of our better players.... end of.
  • he got injured twice when he threw himself into 50-50 challenges, one on the half way line and one just inside there half in the second half, the ball was there for reid and he laft it to thomas to slide in for.

The only reason i remember is cos i was so shocked to see him making such a challenge.

On the back line, i still think they looked ok yesterday, beattie did a good job of bringin his midfield into the game, and i fell we could learn a lot from the way they played the ball to him, it wasn't big hoofs up for him to flick on, but balls to his chest that he could control and bring his midfield into the game.

i really feel when pardew was talkin about 4 who never really turned up he must of been talkin about 4 in midfield
  • Heard someone else berating Thomas on the way out of the ground and wondered what game they'd be watching too.
  • Thomas was disappointing by his own standards if you ask me, as were many of the others though. We need that Jermome back who gets in to the box and shoots on target please.. as for the rest it is puzzling, almost like lacklustre burn out effect of a good run. Pleased Holland is back though which I didn't think I'd be saying, much prefer an out and out 442 with him and reid in the middle, thought they could've backed up the forwards a bit more though on the edge of the box. I still think another decent winger is vital come January to inject something different off the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Thomas was infuriating last night. So much talent but so little end result.
    Two pathetic muffed shots in the second-half where I would expect a Sunday player to at least force the keeper to make a save.
    Agree it was the worst game I'd seen ZZ play for us but he is the one player who excels in 4-5-1 so maybe he has to be more of a starter in away games and used as a sub at home.
    Sam was very poor - far too lightweight for the kind of oppo Sheff Utd are - the size of their back four was terrifying.
    Pardew needs to start picking teams to defeat specific opponents as just playing our supposedly first XI is not going to get us first or second this season.
    So frustrating as well, with Watford losinga again...
  • thomas had an up and down game last night, he was fully involved throughout the first half for good and bad reasons. when he picked up the ball centrally he looked well balanced, quick and in control. i actually thought a lot of our better play went through him (maybe to the detriment of reid who didn't get into the game at all last night?). but thomas also gave away the needless foul for their penalty when we're cruising at 0-0, infuriating as there was no real danger and was a clumsy challenege. but then a few minutes later he tracked back and made a good sliding interception at left back, and he made a couple of strong tackles in the centre of the park the where he came off second best.

certainly not our worst player, and although there was no end product from him there was no end product fromthe whole team full stop.

i felt it was just one of those nights...
  • A couple of 'fans' near me were having a right go at Thomas - the worst player they had ever seen, never done anything for us, and he should f*ck off.

Sometimes I wonder if these people actually watch the game - obviously they must have missed the Preston match among others.

Thomas can be disappointing and frustrating, but the flak these 2 idiot were giving was ridiculous.
  • I think with Thomas it comes down to effort and application.
    His body langauge gives the impression that he isn't 100% committed to the cause and thinks he's a cut above the rest of his team-mates and most of the oppo, though he is loathe to prove this by cutting them to shreds.
    If he's as good as he thinks he is, it's time for him to start delivering some MOTM performances as ROnaldo does week-in, week-out for Manyoo
  • Had some scottish bloke in my ear having a go at Thomas every 10secs last night. He'd shout "Your lazy Thomas! Get off!" even when the ball wasn't anywhere near him and not involved in the play. Idiot. If anyone was gonna create anything last night it was Thomas.
  • Couldn't agree more with glass half empty and kinveachy's thoughts.

Pissing about with the ball etc all day long, NO end product.

Everyone thought he played well at the Cardiff game too, but all he did was run taking it wide down towards the corner flag, waiting til the last minute playing with defenders, and passing backwards. Plus he doesn't appear to give a shit.

Funny how some players 'get away' with being poor. If Rommedahl was playing like JT does this season, he'd be booed every time he touched the ball.
  • All the negative talk about Thomas stemmed from giving the pen away IMO but apart from that and two hopelessly poor efforts on goal which you'd expect him to put away, I too thought he was the pick of the midfield overall.

Not saying much admittedly but he was getting past his man and getting the ball into the box up to the last, even when 2-0 down. Silly step overs, yes, but it's part of his game, you won't change it.

At times like this I'd be interested to hear who the opponents (players, not fans) think was the player who made it hard for them - I think JT would come near top of the list...with ZZ bottom.
  • [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]
    Funny how some players 'get away' with being poor.

Its also funny how people only see what they want to see. Jerome has a persona and style that suggests a chip on shoulder and a lack of caring, and that's what prompts people's negative opinions and clouds what he actually does and give during a game.

He must of put 15 crosses into the box last night, and made more tackles than i can remember him making in the game. He was also the only midfielder for large chunks of the game that actually wanted and showed for the ball.
  • Granted, yes he has always had that persona, but sometimes it's hard to tell... Also Pardew's very public comments earlier in the season seemed to reinforce this...

But for me all the stepovers and stuff and the 'promise' is what I thought when he first played against Tottenham at WHL, I just think he should have improved his game since then, it seems identical (sometimes worse).
  • after about 25 mins the bloke next to me said "thomas must be off in january. playing like he has been recently he's obviously putting himself in the shop window"

i thought he was good last night too. I don't know why the players think to get the ball to him when he's the only one in space, the only one that makes forward runs and forward passes, everyone else went sideways. I think the combination of the lack of finished product last night is partly his fault, but partly those in the box. who perhaps don't make themselves available, find space, run at the right time and look for the ball coming in.
    Sometimes i think people think that its easy to land a cross on someones head with no one attacking them for the ball. its a job for 2 people to do and if it doen't come off, it doesn't come off. how many times did beattie show frustration that his runs weren't linking up with other people's thoughts?
  • Sponsored links:

• He was limping second half as well. Not a great performance but far from the worse on the night. Not knocking Sam but he was worse than Thomas on the night.

Sheff Utd played to stop us passing it around and it worked. Partly cos they did it well and partly cos we were so static and lacking ideas or a decent touch.
  • Thought Thomas was the pick of our midfield last night.

Reid needs a rest, he was woeful last night and as someone else pointed out, when Iwelumo is bad he's awful !!
  • thomas has the ability more than any other of ours to 'ghost' past players.
    imo he has been doing this since he came back into the side.
    it's funny how differently people see each game.
  • edited November 2007
    Thomas would have been my Charlton man of the match (not saying a lot I know!) had it not been for that stupid challenge off the ball which gave away the penalty.

He was awesome in the first 15 minutes or so and although he faded he still at times often looked a threat after that.

As others have said he looked far more "up for it" throwing himself in to challenges and tracking back.
  • One thing's for sure - he divides opinion!
  • Re - Thomas. I echo what glass half empty and giveachy addick have said - he is not a poor player and last night was probbaly the pick of a bad bunch, but what excatly does he achieve?

Both last night and at Preston he saw alot of the ball, but the end product is woeful - no shots, poor crosses and very little end product. He can run at defenders all day long with fancy stepovers, but there has to be something at the end of it - either a (meaningful)shot or a decent cross. His shooting last night (when he finally managed one) was awful and the only decent cross he has manged in the last 2 games ended with us scoring (ZZ at preston). Wide men should get to the byeline and put crosses in from there - much harder to defend a ball 2 yards out than 12 yards out.

I have lsot count the number of times he has run half the length of the pitch, got to their box and then wasted the opportunity. He needs to either keep going and get into the box and win a pen or shoot once in range. We had the majority of the possession last night, yet Sheff Utd scored 3 times.
  • hmmph, how about he runs the length of the pitch, does a few stepovers, gets into the box, has a shot, saved by the keeper, then run the full length of the pitch and get his gloves on, get in goal make a save.....
    is he the only player on the pitch???? he can't do it all on his own!!
  • Thats the problem with playing 4-5-1 , as it IS up to Thomas & Sam to get forward and score.

Reminds me of about 10 years ago - playing with Leaburn up on his own and Brendan O'connell (remember him) playing in "the hole". That didn't work either.
  • he very rarely hits the byeline cos he always cuts on to his right foot as he approaches the area, i thought he done ok last night in a shit team performance but as for those 2 shots , i think one went for a throw and the other was proper powder puff.... bring back dennis;-)
  • Thought he actually played OK first half when the team was playing ok.

My main gripe with him is try crossing the ball with your left foot, you are a left winger after all. Think he did it at Preston & bugger me we scored from it. He always checks back onto his right to cross & believe me a defender notices after the second time you do it in the game.