Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What generation Addick are you ?

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Prompted by Off It's touching post about his nan.

I'm first generation, family from East London so when my dad was young they used to hop on the tube to a different club every week.
On my wife's side though, they go all the way back to her Great grandad who was an original 'Valley digger'. Her great nan, used to follow our fortunes all the way up to she was 101.

Comments

• Options
    As per my Charlton Tattoo Proud 4th Generation Addick, was taken to Valley at a young age by my Dad & Grandad. Carlsberg will also remember having pre-match teas, Cornish Pasties, sausage rolls & cakes at my Grandad's in Catford then being driven to the ground each home game.
  • Options
    First generation Addick and Football fan.

My parents and grandparents have/had absolutely no interest in football, how they managed to bring up two fanatical football fans they have no idea.
  • Options
    My nan from my mums side remembers the winning cup final all too well...
    She was 16 years old and with a very pretty young man called Maurice... and he became my G'dad.

My dads side are jill's and gooners.
  • Options
    First, but not last!

My grandad and nan on my father's side lived in Parkstone, Poole. My dad would go to see AFC Bournemouth, with my grandad occasionally accompanying him. My grandad more often went along to see the local GasWorks team.

On my mum's side, her grandfather came to Bermuda from somewhere in Kent, which I am interested in researching further, as maybe he was a raving Addick! He was certainly well known in these parts for liking a drink, whether morning, noon or night!

His sister lived in Peckham, so let's hope she wasn't Millwall!
  • Options
    3rd Generation - dad and grandad before me, both woolwich born and bred...we don't speak about my great grandfather following a regrettabole incident during the war and so have no idea if he was Charlton...
  • Options
    As said previously third generation as my great uncle Bob Sims, who lived in the dust hole in Woolwich, was British Army in India Boxing Champion and lost a leg after a football injury got infected was a "Valley Digger" in 1919.

My Dad has been a fan since the 1930s and his three sons are still season ticket holders. Two of them were also Valley Party candidates in 1990.

The fourth Generation is going strong with 3 season ticket holders aged 8, 9 and 11.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]3rd Generation - dad and grandad before me, both woolwich born and bred...we don't speak about my great grandfather following a regrettabole incident during the war and so have no idea if he was Charlton...

Intriguing. Can you tell us more?
  • Options
    third I believe as my grandads parents died when he was very young so don't believe the influence would have come from there. I think I will call him tonight and ask him how he came to support charlton.

my grandad on my mums side was millwall
  • Options
    First, my family are from north London, so it's mainly Spurs and Arsenal, my brother is a Gooner for example.

My little sister however has seen the light, and is a Charlton supporter
  • Options
    First, my Dad's a northerner (Preston fan) and my Mum's a jock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First generation, Dad was Arsenal ... Mum and her family are Millwall. I was taken to Millwall by my Grandad, cant work out why I stopped going !!!!!!!
  • Options
    2nd generation and both my kids have ensured a 3rd generation in the family.
    Daughter gets married next year so maybe a 4th generation in a few years !
  • Options
    Third Generation, my Nan was going to games in the 1920's
  • Options
    I'm third generation. My grandad lived in Catford in the 1920's and starting supporting them during the ill-fated move to Catford.

Many of my family are regular supporters and season ticket holders including 3 uncles, I aunt, four cousins and many of their children. The Bingaddick diaspra are spread far and wide now and we don't get together much now except for marriages and funerals but there is usually only one topic of conversation if we do.
  • Options
    I'm 4th daughters are 5th.
  • Options
    first generation addick, old man originally fulham but no real affinity , grandad arsenal
  • Options
    3rd Generation. Grandad on my mum's side. He went to both cup finals and even went to Charlton on his wedding day. Got married in Greenwich in the morning and then all the blokes went straight to Charlton in the afternoon while the women got the food ready for the reception.

Those were the days!!
  • Options
    2nd generation after my Dad.....my 8 month old daughter is 3rd generation whether she likes it or not.

My mate who I go with is Charlton as is his dad, somehow his brother is Millwall (no idea how - and to think I let him be my best man !!!!!), anyway his brothers little boy who is 9 is also Charlton and has more CAFC gear than any kid I've ever seen, everything he wears is Charlton...has a bedroom like one of those you see in a catelogue and it drives his old man mental - haha
  • Options
    I'm second Generation. My grandparents on my Mum's side of the Family were Arsenal and My grandparents on my dads side of the family were Glasgow Rangers
  • Options
    First.

I have far better taste than is traditional in my family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I'm 4th daughters are 5th.

Being even older than me your lineage must go back a long way. Whats the story?
  • Options
    I'm third generation on my mums side I suppose. Grandad is from Canning Town and Grandma from Islington but they moved to woolwich in the late 40's and my Grandad has a soft spot for Charlton. He was a pretty good player himself and played amatuer football for Bath city, Hitchin Town and the Army and ended up as an FA coach (taught by Roy Hodgson), therefore he's more of a football fan than a Charlton fan. However when my Dad moved down to London in the 70's he missed going to Ibrox every week and thus adopted Charlton as his team. He made the right decision I think.
  • Options
    Third on my mum's side too - my grandfather was from north Wales, came to London at wartime, adopted Charlton as his team after the war. My grandmother's from Greenwich, but I don't think it goes back beyond her, will have to ask... neither of my parents are football fans, but there's Charlton supporters in the rest of the family in deepest Kent.
  • Options
    1st but my youngest son is 2nd (his older brother supports Manyoo. Glory hunter). My family had no interest in football at all as I was growing up.

Cousin and his son are s/t holders and my uncle was until last season. There maybe others who knows.
  • Options
    My brother and I are 2nd. My Dad was taken in the 50's by his mate's Dad. He stopped going when he got married and worked most Saturdays. I got him back into it after a year of nagging between summer of 1974 and 1975. The year after we went up from the Old 3rd was my first season. Brother followed a couple of years later and then my Mum got pissed off being left on her own, so also started going.

My son is the 3rd generation - absolutely Charlton loopy - you should see his Christmas list.
  • Options
    First, my parents took me to see Rugby League as a youngster (York)
  • Options
    3rd, maybe 4th as my grandad got me into Charlton (as he used to live around the corner from the Valley, as did my mum and later, my sister). Kind of skipped a generation with my dad though. He's not that interested in football despite being from Blackheath!

Good to see so many up and coming young addicks of the future!
  • Options
    Third - my grandfather went in the 20s/30s, though he was more of a Dulwich Hamlet fan. My father and then me. I could be the last...
  • Options
    Brilliant post.

To be honest I probably am 1st generation. My parents split when I was 2 and my dad is a musician and doesn't really support a team,although he and all his side of the family are from Bermondsey. However my step father is charlton as was his dad who was a programme seller down the valley so caught the bug through them. Mum is from Derby and all her side support them but thankfully she lived in London from age of 6.
  • Options
    Third, son fourth, on my mum's side my Grandad went to the Valley in the 1920's (when he wasn't at Charlton Dog track or in the Pub...), My Dad starting going in the 1940's, hasn't been for a couple of years now. His father was from Rotherhithe however and we all know what that means it is like a skeleton in the cupboard.....