Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What generation Addick are you ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Going back many generations on my mums side in the 1910's her uncle played for charlton surname Calcutt he left when they turned professional. It goes back to then my grandad was at the huddersfield game in the 50's (7-6). Then when i grew up in wellington gardens i used to go to all home games including reserves. Living in cardiff its hard to get to most games but go to at least 1 a month. My son who is 3 is desperate to come so next march he will have his initiation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]That's a great story, TCE - you should try and get a book deal for it! Well done that policeman for giving you the chance to sort yourself out.

I should really edit it, and add the nasty git gave me a slap round the swede, on route to woolwich nick (is it to late to sue) :)
  • Options
    Second generation after me dad. :)

Well, it could possibly be third, but I haven't a clue who my grandad supported.
  • Options
    3rd generation on my Dad's side.Although my mum used to live in Charlton Church Lane and her father was a thames lighterman,for some strange reason he was never bothered about football.
    My little boy although living in Wales supports Charlton and i'm thinking of bringing him down for a game towards the end of the season.He takes great delight in telling everybody he's Charlton and England which always goes down well in Merthyr Tydfil!!
    Two of the my three stepdaughters follow Charlton,the third went over to the dark side (Chelsea) even though shes got sod all chance of me taking her there!!
    The eldest comes down from wales for games and was at the Cardiff away game last week.
  • Options
    My dad informs that unbelievably in 5th a generation addick.
  • Options
    Great story TCE :-)
  • Options
    Sorry I am going to say this again - I f**kin love this thread. Great story TCE. Good on the Dad's with the Kids in Wales. Must be a lot of temptation there to support one of the big 4.
  • Options
    I'm kind of 2nd. My Dad went to the Valley in the late 50's.Originating from Canning Town. As Charlton faltered and West Ham got better, his allegiance changed in the early 60's. I started off life as a West Ham son but always had a soft spot for Charlton after hearing stories of the 7-6 game against Huddersfield.
    At the tender age of 10 and sick & tired of West Ham and claret & blue, I made the decision to change to Charlton. 1st game was in 1977 against Newcastle at the Valley which I think we won 2-0. Keith Peacock became an instant hero for me.
    32 years later I wouldn't change a thing no game could match that Wembley epic and the struggle I had to get a ticket.
    Now living in Vancouver I'm trying to pass on my Charlton heritage to my 8 year old son who seems to be leaning towards Man U because he likes Rooney!
    My chance this weekend is to record the West Brom game and sit him down to watch some real football.
  • Options
    1st generation.
    Moved from Denmark to London in 1999 and had a short relationship with a girl, who's Dad is an avid Charlton supporter.
    I support my local team back in Denmark (Odense) and for me to start supporting another team, it would have to be something special.
    I've never been in to the "supporting several teams" thing, but living in London, I would be an idiot, if I didn't start following a side.
    I read a book about the return to The Valley and saw a few videos of old games + the playoff win.
    Colleagues and friends back in Denmark all asked me why I didn't support a "big" team like Sperz, Arse, Chelski or even Manure.
    At the same time I lived in SE London, so for me it made sense to start supporting the local team, especially a team with a story like Charltons (return to The Valley).
    The first live game at The Valley was in 2000/2001 when we lost 4-2 to Sperz.
    My first away game was a trip to the Riverside (1-1) in 2002/2003, the same season where I managed to obtain my first season ticket.
    Some people might call me a Johnny Come Lately, but at the end of the day, I started following them as they were the local side, while they were still in the 1st division, and no one can seriously call me a glory hunter, ha ha.
  • Options
    Good on you Danepak. Welcome to the crazy world of Addicktion..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak, you survived that bloody 4-2 defeat to Sperz - there no way back for you. As CA says the "crazy world of Addicktion" is for life I'm afraid...Good on you pal.
  • Options
    Thanks, and yes. The Tottenham game was terrible. Especially watching it in the east stand with my flatmate at that time (a Spurs supporter)
  • Options
    Excellent thread and brings back a lot of memories of being a young boy being brought up with Charlton life.

I didn't have a choice really as every second Saturday I had to go see the old man play. He came down from Scotland as he had to do his national service with the KIng's Troop and luckily he signed for what has to be the best family club in the world. They had just been relegated from the old 1st division and Sam Bartram had just retired. What bl00dy shoes to fill eh??? I was so young at the time that after the games, we all went in to the bar under the old stand and they used to hide me under the flap of the bar. There was a family friend who we used to call "Geordie" (Bill was his real name) and he used to buy me a Babycham and a packet of crisps with the little blue pack of salt, which I frequently bit in to. If it had been a bad result, the players would meet at a bar just off of Shooter's Hill on the left going towards Welling. Again, I would be stuck in the car, but they always brought me the Babycham and crisps.

Then there were the parties, (not a lot really for those days as players really didn't drink that much), but I do remember 2 occassions in particular. One where one of the Glickstiens (Michael I think) arrived in his Rolls Royce, locked his keys in the car, got completely blootered and ended up staying the night. The other was at Sammy Lawries house right next to the ground. Well after midnight the players jumped over the wall with a ball and had a game under the moonlight.

My grandparents ended up coming down from Scotland and moved in to a house on Church Lane, right opposite the Conservative Club, where he became a fixture. You don't know how lucky you all were as he was the worst driver in the world..........sober!!!! Lucky he was that close, he didn't have to drive.

A couple of years on I was lucky enough to be "the" ballboy, do the halftime scores and collect the corner flags after the game.

Unfortunately, it came to an end in '63 when the old man got transferred to Peterborough, but the first result I always looked for (and to this day) is Charlton.

It's in the blood and cannot and will not be removed.
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to add that I guess I'm really a first generation supporter.
  • Options
    Great story WillieD - What a thread this is as you say Chicago.

Danepak - I stormed out of the valley that night after Iverson scored again- Man I was livid and had to get out of there - True red mist. Good on you mate.
  • Options
    So your Dad was Willie Duff, the Charlton keeper that followed Sam Bartram?

Loved your story of life behind the scenes at Charlton, as seen through the eyes of a young lad.

And the Sam Lawrie's party bit:
    "....Well after midnight the players jumped over the wall with a ball and had a game under the moonlight."

There are a few posters on here who remember seeing your Dad play.
    Any more anecdotes around your Dad at Charlton?
  • Options
    Great post Bill, welcome to the site.

Remember you dad telling me a story once about the Gliksten brothers coming round drunk one Christmas and driving their motor through a wall !!
  • Options
    Is there a way to attach a photograph?
  • Options
    Of course Willie, just see the Attachments button below the comments text box. Choose your pic and away you go.