Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So have you ever seen a true, bona fide, now dead music legend play live?!!

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
I was thinking this the other day when watching that new Ramones DVD.

I saw a few back in the day..

the Ramones (most of whom are now brown bread) of course circa 1989

Joe Strummer circa '88 - solo

Arthur Lee circa 1992 - (the concert was released as a live CD - but live CD's where you are in the audience is for a different thread!)

Lee Hazlewood 97ish

Anyone see Bolan, Mercury, Cash etc etc live?

Comments

• Options
    Saw the legend Steve Marriott a couple of times. Always a great performer.
  • Options
    Bob Marley at Brighton Centre. One of his last concerts in this country I believe. You could have got stoned in there without having a drag!
  • Options
    I had tickets to see Nirvana on their first tour over here but didn't go - wasn't much of a fan of theirs anyway i have to admit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I had tickets to see Nirvana on their first tour over here but didn't go - wasn't much of a fan of theirs anyway i have to admit.
    I had ticket to see Zeppelin on the physical graffitti tour and couldn't go. Was thinking of trying to mug someone outside the O2 tonight :)
  • Options
    I'll never live it down if I say Linda McCartney.

Old girlfriend, when we were both 16 was besotted with Paul McCartney and we ended up meeting them both hanging around outside their house in St Johns Wood. And got given tickets to see one of the first official Wings gigs at Hammersmith Odeon. I never had the guts to tell my mates - they would have laughed me out of Welling!

A proper legend was Lonnie Donegan (when he was almost 70 at a festival about 7 years ago) with his mate Van Morrison standing at the side of the stage. Probably several that I've seen at festivals many years ago that I don't even know have shuffled their mortal coil.

Oh, I was at the Who concert at the Valley in 1976 and Keith Moon & John Entwistle both played.

And Alex Harvey from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
    Well, he was legendary to us at the time.
  • Options
    Joe Strummer supporting The Who (with John Entwistle) at Wembley in 2000.

Saw (& met) Steve Marriott at the Tramshed in 85. He was a top bloke and I've still got the Humble Pie album he signed for me.

Queen at Knebworth (& live aid)
  • Options
    Saw Queen at Wembley on the same bill as Status Quo, The Alarm and INXS
  • Options
    I saw Nirvana's last UK show before the big bang
  • Options
    James Brown
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy - Last tour before he died. Saw them/him at the Hammersmith Odeon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some good ones here that I also saw, Strummer, Ramones, Who.

Additionally Pete DeFreitas (Echo & the Bunnymen), Alex Harvey (supported the Who at Charlton), Johnny Thunders.
  • Options
    Amy Winehouse
  • Options
    Quite a few- but really on the classical music side. Played on the same stage as a few- Solti, Rostropovitch (sp) to name but a couple

Biggest regret was not seing Freddie Mercury live though- i was at music college as the time they recorded the video for "Radio Gaga" and could have been one o the fans in the crowd clapping but turned it down for an orchestral gig.

Got that wrong!
  • Options
    Just the Ramones oh yeah and Killing Joke as Raven the bass player died last month.
  • Options
    In no particular orderand off the top of my head......

Cozy Powell
    Freddie Mercury
    John Entwhistle
    Keith Moon
    Joe Strummer
    Alex Harvey
    Phil Lynott
    Pavaroti
    John Bonham
    The Ramones
    Two or three from Lynyrd Skynyrd when playing with Jethro Tull!
    Sid Viscous and Nancy
    Steve Marriot
    Rutherford? from Frankie goes to Hollywood
    John Cooglan

Fecking 'ell I'm old. And I'm sure I've missed a couple out
  • Options
    Desmond Dekker at the Woolwich Tramshed years ago. Great voice, great music.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Saw Queen at Wembley on the same bill as Status Quo, The Alarm and INXS

also.
  • Options
    I went to John Entwhistle's 40th Birthday party!
  • Options
    Carl Perkins
    Screaming Jay Hawkins
    Slim Gaillard
    Cab Calloway
    Pookie Hudson

And lots and lots of Rockabilly legends who would mean sweet FA to most people on this board...
  • Options
    edited December 2007
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    James Brown at Wembley...and Edwin Starr down at Stage 3 on Sheppey...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I went to John Entwhistle's 40th Birthday party!

Blimey, Solid, that was 1974 ........ ;o)
  • Options
    Ian Dury at Lewisham Odeon in the late 70's with his band the blockheads. He fell over on stage that night but stayed there on his backsiude to complete the number before he was picked up by the stage crew - legend
  • Options
    James Brown for me. Saw him last year at the Roundhouse just a couple of weeks before he died.
  • Options
    Bo Diddley, I think he's dead..
  • Options
    Curtis Mayfield ... the best
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Saw Queen at Wembley on the same bill as Status Quo, The Alarm and INXS
    Me too, July '86.
  • Options
    Edwin Starr, FOREX Ball about 5/6 years ago.
  • Options
    james brown too, glastonbury twice.
  • Options
    Phil Lynott when he came on for the encore at a Gary Moore gig at Hammersmith, one of his last appearences. Had never seen the guy before and I was just knocked sideways when this tall guy with a big afro, spangly jacket and bass around his midriff just strolled on.

Freddie Mercury, Kind of Magic tour, Wembley. There are many I regret not seeing due to their premature death but Freddie was superb.

One of the guys here saw Hendrix at IoW (last UK appearance) then hiked to Glastonbury where he saw a young Bolan...quality.