Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So have you ever seen a true, bona fide, now dead music legend play live?!!

Comments

• Options
     Haven't seen Sid Vicious mentioned yet?

Maybe because he was a talentless, junkie murderer.

Hardly the stuff of legends.

• Options
    I know I am biting here, but as Chirp's post was obviously aimed at me, I will play the game.

Dictionary: " 2 colloq. Famous or remarkable event or person."

All the people mentioned here by me and others are famous, they are almost all influential in the history of the development of popular music. If your depth of knowledge does not extend that far, not our fault. Spouting an opinion on something you have no knowledge of makes you look foolish.

Clive and Charltonbob, met Pookie when the Spaniels played at a gig my mate organised at Wembley in the early 90's. I also drove him and the band around to rehearsals.
  • Options
     Haven't seen Sid Vicious mentioned yet?

Maybe because he was a talentless, junkie murderer.

Hardly the stuff of legends.

How bored are you today?
  • Options
    Keith Moon at The Valley
  • Options

Bill Haley

Bo Diddley

Hendrix (twice). First time Oct 67 - see Wiki article about Saville theatre which shows a poster from the period : amazing days.

• Options
    Oops, yes, I forgt Bo Diddley n my original post, and Gene Vincent.
  • Options
    I am so jealous March!
  • Options
    Oops, yes, I forgt Bo Diddley n my original post, and Gene Vincent.
    Where did you see GV (he's been dead 40 years now!) - "I'm Back & I'm Proud" is a good LP released on John peel's Dandelion label no less.
  • Options
    in aDDition : Gene Pitney, Paul Kossoff and Rory Gallagher ..
  • Options

Mentioned this thread to my old boss ,told me he won tickets to see Buddy Holly on his uk tour !

As for me the only ones i can claim to have seen are

Ian Dury

Frank tovey ( one for stonemuse there)

Mick Karn ( Japan)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lincs- would have loved to have seen kossoff play live- unfortunately most went before my time!
  • Options
    Oakster, thanks for reminding me of how long ago it was!! I saw Gene V. at a club in Sevenoaks in 1969: I was a rocker and frequented a 'bike cafe on the A20 so Sevenoaks was fairly local. The gig wasn't advertised but the word got out that he would be there and a number of us turned up to see him. I recall he didn't look a picture of health but that didn't stop him from doing a great show and the place (sorry, the name escapes me) was rocking: full of Teds and Rockers, terrific atmosphere.
  • Options
    Oakster, thanks for reminding me of how long ago it was!! I saw Gene V. at a club in Sevenoaks in 1969: I was a rocker and frequented a 'bike cafe on the A20 so Sevenoaks was fairly local. The gig wasn't advertised but the word got out that he would be there and a number of us turned up to see him. I recall he didn't look a picture of health but that didn't stop him from doing a great show and the place (sorry, the name escapes me) was rocking: full of Teds and Rockers, terrific atmosphere.
    nice story - yes by all accounts he was a mess by the end (at 36) but he suffered with leg pain & probably the mental aftermath of the crash that killed Eddie Cochran
  • Options
    Lincs- would have loved to have seen kossoff play live- unfortunately most went before my time!
    Me too - Koss is my favorite guitarist - a big influence on my guitar playing - such emotion - if only I could get close to that.
  • Options
    Blighs hotel.
  • Options
    Me too - Koss is my favorite guitarist - a big influence on my guitar playing - such emotion - if only I could get close to that.
    Hated the sound of his own playing, couldn't listen to himself- tragic really!
  • Options
    edited January 2012

if you know Beckenham, there is a joint right in the approach to Bec Junction station, it's now (or was last time I was in Beckenham) a lap dancing place. It used to be called the 'Mistrale Club', great great place back in the early 70s, late 60s.. Free played there a couple of times just as they were a 'coming band'. And I have just remembered,  Desmond Decker played there also.He's pushing up daisies now as well.

• Options

March - if it was the A20 it wouldn't be Sevenoaks. Do you mean the legendary bikers' place on the 20 about two miles from the top of Wrotham Hill, perhaps ? Name escapes me. So many of its habitues died on Farningham Hill in the 60s that as a shock tactic they changed it to Death Hill.

• Options
    Johnsons
  • Options

Mentioned this thread to my old boss ,told me he won tickets to see Buddy Holly on his uk tour !

Blimey ... blast from the past there ... will dig out Under The Flag later :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

March - if it was the A20 it wouldn't be Sevenoaks. Do you mean the legendary bikers' place on the 20 about two miles from the top of Wrotham Hill, perhaps ? Name escapes me. So many of its habitues died on Farningham Hill in the 60s that as a shock tactic they changed it to Death Hill.

Is that the place were they used to put a song on the jukebox and try and get down and back before the song finished?
    That's what my dad told me, who incidentally used to let me as a 5 year old spend the duration of the match picking up all the dog ends on the valleys terrace!
    Those were the days!
  • Options

Is that the place were they used to put a song on the jukebox and try and get down and back before the song finished?
    That's what my dad told me, who incidentally used to let me as a 5 year old spend the duration of the match picking up all the dog ends on the valleys terrace!
    Those were the days!

I think your referring to the Ace cafe on the north circular 
  • Options
    No it was definitely the old terracing ;0)
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Yes, it was Johnson's, otherwise known as 'Joe's'. I remember Death Hill very well, I believe it has been re-named 'Gorse Hill' now, and Johnson's. has been converted into offices. We didn't do the record on the juke box thing so much, we had one on one thrashes past the cafe which was situated on a lovely straight stretch of the A20, near West Kingcdown. The whole cafe would line both sides of the road to cheer their mates on. Death hill got its name mainly through people coming down the hill and mis-juging the bend and the roundabout at the bottom. The Bexley branch of the Triumph Owners Club still meet in a pub near the roundabout. For Sevenoaks it was just a matter of heading down Wrotham Hill and picking up the A25 at Borough Green: no motorways in those days to confuse things! Did my first ton near the cafe and have still got the Johnson's Club cloth badge on an old bike jacket somewhere in the loft. And yes, Baldybonce it was Blighs, thank you.

• Options

Saw the Velvet Underground play at The Forum a while ago.

The gig got average reviews at the time but I thought it was great! Took the missus straight down to Langans for dinner after....aah the great days before the kids!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Hendrix and Jim Morrison at IOW 1970. Paul Kossoff also at Fairfield Halls (so smacked out he fell against the amp) the brilliant Rory Gallagher all over the place and a lot of the others too many to mention
    I had a choice of getting married, or seeing Hendrix, of course if we ever get divorced this in itself would be grounds for 'unreasonable behavior' as I have warned my wife on many an occassion........

Four of us got in behind the Fairfield Halls,to see Free, I was not a big fan of the group at the time, and they let us stay for the 'sound check'. It was in May I think 1970, well it was hot because the windows were open and the changing rooms were at the back of the hall's directly behind the art college. So we bunked off. Security was non existent, and the 2 woman I went with they probably thought were with the group.( they wished) We just sat down and listened. A few years later I rediscovered them, and as you say a great live band. Friend of mine designed the free live album, Mick Brownfield I discovered  about 10 years later, while I gushed on about how great the music was he seemed completely pissed at the money he had charged the record company. 
    By the way that is Rory's guitar with his face stained on the left hand side that I photographed about 4 years ago, that I use as  my  profile photo.

Forgot to mention that we saw Roxy music at the greyhound in Croydon one lunchtime, at the time of 'Virginia plain'...... must have been a warm up gig for a tour, they wore a lot of make up and Brian Eno was with them. Ferry was very dynamic and the young female art students just gawped at the man, I am not sure they heard the music?....... Most of my foundation work was centered around rock music, I loved it, taking photos, and making graphics. Really cannot remember a week without seeing at least  a couple of bands, not all headliners just really good musicians. Croydon  had some decent venues, and London was only 12 minutes away, across the road from the college with fast services to Victoria.
  • Options

Blimey ... blast from the past there ... will dig out Under The Flag later :-)
    Brilliant idea.

• Options
    Ahhh quality , no one could play the old black a decker like frank ,  gonna bung some fireside favourites on now . 
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I know I am biting here, but as Chirp's post was obviously aimed at me, I will play the game.

Dictionary: " 2 colloq. Famous or remarkable event or person."

All the people mentioned here by me and others are famous, they are almost all influential in the history of the development of popular music. If your depth of knowledge does not extend that far, not our fault. Spouting an opinion on something you have no knowledge of makes you look foolish.

Clive and Charltonbob, met Pookie when the Spaniels played at a gig my mate organised at Wembley in the early 90's. I also drove him and the band around to rehearsals.
    Thanks Algarve, never knew that the Spaniels toured over here or that Pookie ever reunited with them as he went solo in about 1964 I think it would have been ? Would this have been a joint Golden Oldies type tour with other groups of the same era ? Can you remember what other groups if affirmitive ?
  • Options
    Ian Drury - he was something else