Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ambrose praises the fans

2»

Comments

• Options
    I had hoped this season to go to about 10 away games, most seasons I get in between 7 and 12,. watching Charlton away is the best fun of supporting the team, because you are with diehards you know (such as the group I go with) and others that you don't know but get chatting to. Home matches in the west stand can be like sitting on a commuter train. The only downside can be when some idiots get carried way and get obnoxious to their own fans, but that's life I would love to see our travelling support average out at 2,000, but Charlton fans have travelled a long road and suffered a lot of away day disappointments, so it may take a while to rebuild the away faithful (by which time we'll be back in the Prem. getting beaten every couple of weeks - pessimist moi?)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

don't know about oohahh, but the fact that we have probably trebled our home support (bit of a guess) in the last 15-20 years, but the away turnouts have stayed put.
    imo 2nd v 3rd, 4 away wins on the bounce, on tele or not we should not be taking less than 10% of our home fans.

exactly PBS, i think 2k would be a decent away turnout for us on saturday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    exactly PBS, i think 2k would be a decent away turnout for us on saturday

Golfie MKII
  • Options
    All I would say is how many teams have brought 2000 down to us this season? Only ipswich have bought more than that and I'd guess the average of the rest is around the 800/900 mark, despite them all having more local fans than we would at any away game outside of south london and us supposedly being one of the more attractive away days.

Shef Utd get similar home gates to us and brought around 1000, if we take anything close to that mark to west brom, especially a week before christmas with the game on the tv, then I don't think anybody on here can complain about our away support too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Apart from newcastle and the top 4, I can't think of any other teams that would take 2k to West Brom in the championship at a 12.45 sky game just before christmas. Completely unrealistic.
  • Options
    wolves , leicester , ipswich , norwich ,watford ,bristol city, stoke, sheff utd would imo bring around 2k in our position....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I would love to see our travelling support average out at 2,000,

so would everyone.
    if all 17,500 s/t holders and 2,500 'walk ups' went to 2 away games per year, we would average a following not far off that. in fact add on the 300-400 regulars, we'd average over 2k.
    i do understand individual circumstances such as financial ones, work commitments etc, but when the club laud how important the fans contribution is, is 2 games a year really too much to ask?
  • Options
    I would have been there but we are having Christmas Dinner early because we are on holiday for Chrimbo....In fact I won't see another game until 12th January...

Am I allowed to stay on here or will my membership be rescinded
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I would have been there but we are having Christmas Dinner early because we are on holiday for Chrimbo....In fact I won't see another game until 12th January...

its a yellow card offence swisdom....best behaviour from now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]wolves , leicester , ipswich , norwich ,watford ,bristol city, stoke, sheff utd would imo bring around 2k in our position....

I know afka and I have pointed this out to you 8 million times in the past....but do you understand the link between being a team in london(or just outside) and there being hundreds of london football fans that support northern/western/eastern teams and therefore bump the numbers up for london games?

I think you'd be surprised at those teams mentioned there getting 2k at those matches on sky that aren't in london?? I really do think you have got some funny blinkers on sometimes. yeah, I reckon some of them would take more fans up there than us, but not thousands more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i know spurs and chelsea is NORTH london but we never sold them out in recent seasons in the premiership , i don't think i've got the blinkers on!
  • Options
    pushing for promotion,top of the table clash,great away form,pardew's exciting football,no ticket restrictions,big midlands addicks presence ,on a saturday,back home early.

less than 600 is a disgrace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I would have been there but we are having Christmas Dinner early because we are on holiday for Chrimbo....In fact I won't see another game until 12th January...

Yes, that's fine. It doesn't actually matter whether you go to games or not so long as you moan about how few fans we have at them.
  • Options
    its obivous we don't have many hard core fans as others.
    can't say a day out in north london is as appealing for me( and others) when you work in london on a daily basis.

those in london that support northern teams see it as a chance to travel a short distance, and those that live up north see it as a chance to visit the city of london and see how electricity works....

watford last year.....good turn out....good price......good chance of winning??????
  • Options
    and yet if the club lay on free travel,the whole world and his dog will go.what were they saving,£10/12 ffs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]

apparently we'll have at least 601 up there so that's not too bad considering it's live on telly, a long journey, christmas is just around the corner, it's really cold up there, it's not a new ground, our away forms not great, we're not in a promotion place ....
  • Options
    There's a reason that northern teams have great away support and big stadiums, as pointed out to me by my old football manager who was a burnley supporter. They don't have anything better to do on a saturday afternoon.

So comparing us to them is making an irrelevant point eh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]

apparently we'll have at least 601 up there so that's not too bad considering it's live on telly, a long journey, christmas is just around the corner, it's really cold up there, it's not a new ground, our away forms not great, we're not in a promotion place ....

you missed off some people have an important old mans football game....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]There's a reason that northern teams have great away support and big stadiums, as pointed out to me by my old football manager who was a burnley supporter. They don't have anything better to do on a saturday afternoon.

So comparing us to them is making an irrelevant point eh.

better than walking their ferret....
  • Options
    Whats wrong with Nth London folks

I thought being a Charlton fan meant people were always gonna say " do you speak to the Other Charlton fan then" we are not a big club never will be get over it as long as the right sort of fans go i.e those that want too what does it matter??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good point suzi not forgetting i have to wash my hair b4 playing football on a saturday and walk the dog , mow the lawn , sweep the leaves away , do the gardening , paint the fence blah blah blah
  • Options
    <<better than walking their ferret....>>

But maybe not better than spending an afternoon with a couple down your trousers .. or did i learn bad habits when I lived oop North
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]<<better than walking their ferret....>>

But maybe not better than spending an afternoon with a couple down your trousers .. or did i learn bad habits when I lived oop North

You get you're Christmas kicks how you like :-)

I know oohaah, threadkiller, PBS etc, and i know they've done their time, and probably on a bit of a wind up. But you really can't use words like 'disgrace' when you are not doing it yourself. Watford are top of the league, and took 400 to Stoke last week for example.

If you were genuinely that outraged by it all, you would make sure you were there yourself.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Spot on AFkA
  • Options
    ANOTHER thread about our away support. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]ANOTHER thread about our away support. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

I couldn't agree more, I think the U Boat should turn up for every away support thread from now on...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]good point suzi not forgetting i have to wash my hair b4 playing football on a saturday and walk the dog , mow the lawn , sweep the leaves away , do the gardening , paint the fence blah blah blah

Remind us what youre doing on Saturday ooohaaaah?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]<<better than walking their ferret....>>

I know oohaah, threadkiller, PBS etc, and i know they've done their time, and probably on a bit of a wind up.

i like to think i am still doing my time;-)
    if airing an opinion the same as a minority on here makes me a wum in some peoples eyes, then they need to take deep breaths and relax a bit. on my part it wasn't meant to wind anyone up, cannot speak for oohaah or tkiller. tarring same brush etc......