Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell

As much as I love him - He's had it, everything any team has done in the last few games has gone through him. Let him manage the under 13's or something, he's not up to 1st team football.

Comments

• Options
    To be fair he's come back from injury and gone straight into the first team and he was signed as an emergency LB, and he's already played more games than the half-dozen or so that he was expected to play. Hardly his fault that other LBs have been injured and he's stepped in.
  • Options
    Another one, managemnet must be blind, sorry an all that.
  • Options
    He was signed as a player-coach, to fill in a few games here and there, not as a full time player.

Nothing to do with management being blind, indeed they could be far-sighted if Powell becomes a decent coach.
  • Options
    Another one.
  • Options
    LIABILITY
  • Options
    IMHO Powell was the difference today.
  • Options
    He's been outjumped twice for 2 goals...I shouldn't say outjumped because he didn't even jump....he's too old and should hang 'em up...our defense is useless....not picking up anyone....
  • Options
    I reckon he'd be the first to admit that his best days are behind him, but needs must. I'm sure that if there was a viable alternative then AP would consider it - but we've got 3 left backs out injured, so what alternative is there.
  • Options
    Give the old fella credit.

He's been out for 6 weeks, no training, no reserve games, no match fitness.
    Rushed straight back, 3 games in a week, gets a nasty head injury.

Touch & go whether he' was fit enough to even make the team today.

And he's only played BECAUSE there is nobody else.
  • Options
    granted he did not do well but the 2 bloody right backs must be held just as responible. they both let the crosses in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McCarthy, Semedo, Racon? surely if you were paid 15 grand a week ( Just a guess) you can play on either side or any position????

You can get away with it against some teams BUT against the Champions at their home ground it is a bad choice.

The last 3 games teams have exposed us. You wouldnt have to do much work as a scout to know how to beat us.
  • Options
    Maybe - but the winger's a tricky player and he's done his job really well.

But they were both brilliant crosses - perfectly weighted and dropped right on to the head of the onrushing striker.
    Nightmare for any defence to defend.
  • Options
    So is being nutsed for the second goal.
  • Options
    Our full backs were really poor today, no suprise for Sir Chris really, he shouldn't be near the team anymore but we don't really have run out of options!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sir Chris probably wasn't fully fit but played because we have no fit left backs and red Charlton blood flows through his veins.

Give the man a break. If anybody is allowed a bad game he is after more than 250 games of excellent service.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Give the old fella credit.

He's been out for 6 weeks, no training, no reserve games, no match fitness.
    Rushed straight back, 3 games in a week, gets a nasty head injury.

Touch & go whether he' was fit enough to even make the team today.

And he's only played BECAUSE there is nobody else.

That's what I tried to say before, Len.

It's not just his age - he's nowhere near being fully fit.
    But people are comparing & expecting him to be a match fit player.
  • Options
    Well then maybe I would blame Pards....Gera is known for being good in the air so he should not have put Powell in especially with a nasty head injury from last week. Don't get me wrong I love Chrissy Powell but his best days are behind him....yes maybe Semedo or dare I say McCarthy should have played LB...where is Moo2
  • Options
    Moo2 is injured - so are Thatcher, Basey, and the mysterious Gibbs.
    Mills & Fortune stupidly got themselves suspended.

McCarthy & Sankofa have barely had any match practice for months.

So Powell had to play.

Who else was there?
  • Options
    as bad as he was i just love sir chris
  • Options
    Yes, I would say that his time is over, however when your right back give too much time and space to the bloke crossing the ball, anyone playing at left back is going to be under pressure from the cross.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't Sankofa have been a better bet?
  • Options
    ZZ has played a lot at left back in his career, so there's another option.

I would play ZZ at left back and try and see how Chris does as the holding midfielder sitting in-front of back four. Like Makelele does for Chelsea. It might be more suited for him at this stage in his career - a good passer and reader of the game, and doesn't require bags of pace to play there
  • Options
    It is definately time to hang up the boots, we should be remebering players like chris for all he bought to the club and not flog him like an old donkey all we hear is how many left backs are out injured but we must have aleast another 2-3 players that could do a decent job there ahead of Chris.
  • Options
    We're expecting him to perform like a 25 year old in full fitness.
    Give Chris Powell a rest & the chance to get fit and then play him occasionally as required - and he'll still be up to standard.

At the moment he won't get that chance.

At the moment, we're thrashing a half -fit player who at 38 years old is not being given adequate time to recover let alone get fit.
  • Options
    Might as well just give them the three points instead of turning up then as it was balatently obvious to me in the last three games that he was a weak link let alone what a scout from a Championship/Premiership club would see.
    I''m not just talking about TWO CROSSES either, he was nowhere near fit or close to the game at any point.

Sorry, I do not want to slate him as its not his fault he was put in there but there is players who can play there, we have about 50 players in the squad on the back of the programme and only threee who can play at left back??????????????????
  • Options
    Agreed, Sir Chris is a legend but we are not doing ourselves any favours playing him at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    Sorry, I do not want to slate him as its not his fault

you dont want to slate him... but you're doing a very good impression of it.
  • Options
    Didnt say I wasnt slating him, just mentioning I 'didnt want to'
  • Options
    Chris had a bad game and was at partially at fault for the goals. It happens.

God, we moan about players not showing loyalty to the club and/or not giving enough effort but when the 38 year old player coach puts himself on the line for the club he gets slated. If Gibbs, Thatcher or Basey had been fit maybe they would have played but they weren't.

Maybe he should have pulled out of the game with a mystery injury and let someone else have the headache but he didn't. Pards picked him and he went out there against a vey good team, didn't get much help from the rest of the defence and got exposed.

He was at fault, there's no arguing about that but how quick some of us are to turn on players with statements like "Past it", "hang up your boots" yet if a player turned round to the club this morning and said "right, I'm off, don't want to play for you anymore" the same people would be heaping dogs abuse on the guy. Loyalty works both ways as does showing a bit of respect.

And £15k pw - you are having a big big laugh
  • Options
    The £15k pw comment was an odd one even if you bring it down to a more realistic figure. Ronaldinho's on over £100k per week but I don't suppose he'd make a great centre half!

Yes, Sir Chris was beaten in the air twice and looked a little off the pace. I still say Gera's goals were very tough to defend, it wasn't like Powell lost him, Gera just had the beating of him in the air.

Powell has been thrown in after being injured twice in recent weeks, earlier in the season he put in a couple of great performances so it may just be he's not fully fit or he's a little off form rather than 'past it'. His best days are behind him but he was brought in as an emergency left back and other than the last two weeks has peformed perfectly well in that role. Slating Chris Powell is not acceptable!!