Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Respect. Yes thats it, no respect shown by some in this thread.
  • Options
    And if anyone at the club deserves it, it's Powell!
  • Options
    And while we are talking about Chris it seems that he's been getting a lot of stick from the other players at the training ground recently....

because of the petition to get him knighted : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Chris had a bad game and was at partially at fault for the goals. It happens.

God, we moan about players not showing loyalty to the club and/or not giving enough effort but when the 38 year old player coach puts himself on the line for the club he gets slated. If Gibbs, Thatcher or Basey had been fit maybe they would have played but they weren't.

Maybe he should have pulled out of the game with a mystery injury and let someone else have the headache but he didn't. Pards picked him and he went out there against a vey good team, didn't get much help from the rest of the defence and got exposed.

He was at fault, there's no arguing about that but how quick some of us are to turn on players with statements like "Past it", "hang up your boots" yet if a player turned round to the club this morning and said "right, I'm off, don't want to play for you anymore" the same people would be heaping dogs abuse on the guy. Loyalty works both ways as does showing a bit of respect.

And £15k pw - you are having a big big laugh

Well put, Henry - and PassIt, too.

It must be remembered many younger players may well have pulled out before the match in the circumstances that Powell faced.

And the management would have been well aware he was struggling for fitness and shouldn't have really played.

Sir Chris will play again several times again this season, maybe on Saturday. And maybe he won't be 100% fit.
    But he will give 100% commitment.

Let's give him the support he deserves.
  • Options
    I think the fact we had to play him at all shows that we should not of expected much out of Saturday's game, I was not too disheartened by the result all things considered, against the most potent attackers in the league, with a makeshift back line and big Chris limping off, we were always up against it.

I dont attach any blame to CP, he has been superb for us for a number of years and should not be starting matches at his age, but should be concentrating on getting his coaching badges, bench warming and teaching the youngsters some lessons in football skills and all round decency.

Roll on Saturday.
  • Options
    Good post, Steve.
  • Options
    I thought pards comments singling out chris were a bit unwarranted, especially if he was carrying an injury.
  • Options
    I don't agree Powell was that bad, Sankofa however looked crap, how far out of position was he..
  • Options
    Great posts Henry and Dowman, agree 100%
  • Options
    I think the guy is a true Charlton legend and he really shouldn't be playing at his age. He is past it, we know it and he knows it.

But to be honest he was the best bet at the weekend and I don't blame him personally. The whole back 4 had a shocker.

I still love you Chris....but I do think we need a new LB or 2 (judging by the rate they are dropping at present)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont actualy agree that he has been slated within this thread and i am sure that all who have posted have the upmost repect for him, as do i. However i strongly believe that he should not have been bought back on any sort of playing deal. If we are to continue to look forward as a club as we have for the last 10-15 years then you canno't have such as thing as an emergency "just in case" player. We should be looking at good young players, experienced pros (at a resonable age) and not bringing men in just on our past relationship with him.

I still love him and wish him all the luck in the world in what ever role he takes at our great club!!
  • Options
    At the time he signed, Sir Chris said himself that he'd been signed to commence a coaching capacity and as cover at LB,
    and he would be happy if he played 10 matches in the season.

Remember back then, Ben Thatcher was first choice at LB and Cory Gibbs was expected to be fit.
    Grant Basey was the untried prospect about to be loaned to Brentford for experience and Powelly would be available just as cover.

We're barely at the halfway stage of the season.
    Sir Chris must have made at least a dozen appearances already.