Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell & Holland

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Both great players in their time at Charlton, but unfortunately the past counts for nothing now and both players were embarrassing today. It's fair to say if different players were playing in their positions we may not have lost the game.

I feel sorry for Powell because he has certainly played more games than expected due to the cursed left back position, and as such we had no other real options. Definitely at fault for 2 goals. Holland on the other hand has been a liability for a while now and brings absolutely nothing to the team. Powder puff and ineffective. Should donate his match fee to charity on the basis he did nothing at all.

On a positive note, Mcleod and Varney looked quite useful in patches and I think there are still plenty of good things to focus on.

Comments

• Options
    Agree with you regarding Powell but a tad harsh on Holland IMO....
  • Options
    I though mcleod and varney looked lively and combined well for the goal....its our defenders that are dodgy...Bougherra and Powell were terrible....
  • Options
    I disagree. I though Holland had a quiet and effective game. Did the simple things well and tried to link defence and the midfield with simple passing. The water carrier role if you like.

Agree that Chrissy looked totally out classed by Gera, but then again Ive always thought Gera was a class act anyway.
  • Options
    I'm afraid Powell has been a bit out of sorts any time he's been confronted with any pace or class... looks like we need basey back

it's a shame - fantastic character and servant to the club
  • Options
    Powell was horribly exposed though, Gera has to be half a foot taller than him & after the first goal we should have spotted that coming & adjusted tactically - to be fair to Powell. most full backs would struggle against Gera rushing in at the far post.

Brunt was given far too much space by Sankofa to pick his cross. Defensively we were just far too half-arsed.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I believe Holland is the least effective of all the midfielders. I can't see the point of a "water carrier" type midfielder if he doesn't have any other features in his game such as tackling. It's just my opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Holland on the other hand has been a liability for a while now and brings absolutely nothing to the team. Powder puff and ineffective. Should donate his match fee to charity on the basis he did nothing at all.

Christ, where do we get these people from ?????

Holland was our best player today.

Why is it so many on here seem to enjoy knocking our own, whether it be players or fans, with such vigour ?

Its doing my nut in
  • Options
    Sorry you are always right of course.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]I'm believe Holland is the least effective of all the midfielders. I can't see the point of a "water carrier" type midfielder if he doesn't have any other features in his game such as tackling. It's just my opinion.

You could have said that about Deschamps. Not that Im making any direct comparison mind ;-)
  • Options
    Think Semedo or Sankofa should go left back next week. Powell needs to take a back seat now. What's happen to Rocky Racon?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People have different opinions....fact of life..
  • Options
    Even if I'm the only one who feels that he wasn't that good today, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's the beauty of message boards and no two people on here will agree on everything.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]People have different opinions....fact of life..

Oh no they dont ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Even if I'm the only one who feels that he wasn't that good today, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's the beauty of message boards and no two people on here will agree on everything.

I agree with everything you just said in that post. Does that disprove your theory?
  • Options
    Ah damn!! ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]People have different opinions....fact of life..

Oh no they dont ;-)

You bugger...:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Both great players in their time at Charlton, but unfortunately the past counts for nothing now and both players were embarrassing today. It's fair to say if different players were playing in their positions we may not have lost the game.

I feel sorry for Powell because he has certainly played more games than expected due to the cursed left back position, and as such we had no other real options. Definitely at fault for 2 goals. Holland on the other hand has been a liability for a while now and brings absolutely nothing to the team. Powder puff and ineffective. Should donate his match fee to charity on the basis he did nothing at all.

On a positive note, Mcleod and Varney looked quite useful in patches and I think there are still plenty of good things to focus on.

I agree that powell is looking a bit behind the pace. But how can you say that about holland?!! hes only been back from injury a couple of weeks. and the couple of games ive seen him play hes been solid. and even nicked a goal. Just because a player doesn't get mentioned every couple of seconds by the commentators doesn't mean they are ineffective.

chins up everyone we will smash the slaggies at home anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fair comments. I still maintain in the 20 years I've been watching Charlton that Holland is one of the most overrated players I've seen and could easily be replaced. Guess it's just me then :p (Cue the barrage of abuse lol)
  • Options
    Yah, boo, sucks Fishy!

Anyway, welcome to the board. :o)
  • Options
    Thanks and I'm not actually a negative person at all :) As I said in my opening post, I believe there are many positive points to this side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no insults im afraid. Have you seen afka's latest thread! looks slightly scarry!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]no insults im afraid. Have you seen afka's latest thread! looks slightly scarry!

I think he's either having some sort of breakdown or else he's got a hangover from being out on the Christmas wallop yesterday. It feels like we're the naughty schoolkids standing in the corner after a telling off from teacher!
  • Options
    yea i know. i feel the need to throw my chewing gum in the back of his hair!
  • Options
    AFKA's just upset that we chucked away a point, I expect.
  • Options
    watched a different game to me as well thought Holland played well. what has happened to Moo2 why has he fallen so far from grace
  • Options
    Agree on Sir Chris, but think Matty is playing really well at the moment.
  • Options
    Moo2 is injured.
  • Options
    I suppose in knocking him that anybody has considered that Sir Chris may not have been fully fit?

You didn't need to be Doris Stokes to predict that we would struggle defensively today against arguably the best attack in the division.

To answer Ledge Moo2 is injured.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nowhere across the back line did we have a proper 1st choice defence - apart from perhaps Sodje (nowhere near his best game today).

In the Powell thread also running at the mo, I'd tried to put Powell's situation in perspective.

The bloke is nowhere near fully fit and should never have played today - but there is NOBODY else.
    He's a hero for playing in the first place.
  • Options
    Holland is no way a over rated player,he has played very well in the last few games.The goal at Cardiff comes to mind!Thought he had a ok game 2day.As for Powell give the guy a break ffs! A loss at WBA and all the negative brigade turn up!