Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ones that got away....

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Players we had on trial, were close to signing, strongly linked with, turned us down etc..........

I give you Anthony Stokes, 1 in 15 for Sunderland this year. Seemed like the end of the world when he chose them over us back in January.

Casting back a few years, Don Hutchison - didn't sign for us because his wife didn't fancy the move if my memory serves me well.

Any more?

Comments

• Options
    Richard Gough
    Ricardo Fuller
    Zinadine Zidane
  • Options
    Flamini - hijacked by Arsenal at the last minute
    Alex - Couldn't get a work permit
    Bolanos - I know he only played one game, but he looked pretty tasty.
  • Options
    Pahars - didn't fancy him in a trial
    Niemi - similar circumstances
    Kezman - chose chelsea instead
  • Options
    Ryan Nelson had a trial with us once. He claimed that Curbs didn't even bother to look at him and he only got to train with the reserves. He then went for a trial with Blackburn and is now their club captain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Alex - Couldn't get a work permit.

Always felt hard done by on this one, could have changed my life. :)
  • Options
    Freddie Eastwood on trial.

Earnshaw close to signing in the summer

Brunt was strongly rumoured last season, and looked a cracking player on Sat
  • Options
    didn't we have a look at oliver bierhoff from the early anglo italian cup games he scored a hatrick i think for a visiting side then went on to have international success with germany
    james beattie nearly signed for us b4 going to everton
  • Options
    Timmy Cahill was close to signing for us before he went to Everton
  • Options
    Weren't we close to signing Eidar Gudjohnsen until Chelsea came in?

Steven Pressley from Hearts who chose Celtic at the last minute
  • Options
    not forgetting sir stanley matthews which was covered on previous threads
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ithought Jimmy Bullard was Valley bound before joing Fulham.

We let Matt Elliot and Linvoy Primus slip through our grasps by releasing them early.
  • Options
    alan macdonald qpr and N.I was on our books i think and may have played the odd game
  • Options
    Sidwell, Flamini and Bullard are the three which really annoy me, cause with them, we could have pushed on
  • Options
    plus Cahill.

GRRRRR
  • Options
    Thing is to sign players like that I think you really need to have pushed on already. Bullard maybe we could have tempted but Sidwell and Flamini went to clubs that we just can't compete with (I know Sidwell delayed but I think he knew he would be courted by bigger clubs than us and made his position stronger by being a free agent).
  • Options
    Kemmy Izzet, went to Leicester
  • Options
    Martin Laursen? was he? or a similar name to that one?
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie - now at Colchester never given a chance to show how good he was at the Valley
  • Options
    richard gough played for the youth team i think for a bit cos his father played for us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Martin Laursen? was he? or a similar name to that one?

Yep - pretty sure he was close to signing for us a couple of years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mike newell , nearly signed for us in the lennie days
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Martin Laursen? was he? or a similar name to that one?[/quote]

Yep - pretty sure he was close to signing for us a couple of years ago.[/quote]

He had a meeting with Curbs in one of the VIP suites in the east stand.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    With his injury record i can't believe we managed to let him slip through the net!
  • Options
    the original Mr Bosman was supposed to join us back in the 80's too I recall

and Steve Portway of Gravesend and Northfleet.....
  • Options
    Chris Malkin - all but signed then failed a medical I think
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]alan macdonald qpr and N.I was on our books i think and may have played the odd game

He was only ever with us on loan and played about half a dozen games from memory.

Shame we didn't (couldn't) sign him because he looked a decent player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Chris Malkin - all but signed then failed a medical I think

Blessing in disguise because Curbs went after SuperClive instead.
  • Options
    Alan Kernaghan

Great loanee but I think whe was always out of our price range
  • Options
    Weren't we in for Portsmouth's John Aloisi but he chose Coventry instead - he was a decent player if i recall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Chris Malkin - all but signed then failed a medical I think

It was the night before we played Millwall at The Valley that the story broke wasn't it?