Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ones that got away....

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Alan Kernaghan

Great loanee but I think whe was always out of our price range[/quote]

Didn't he decide to stay with Boro after realising that Lennie was going there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Weren't we in for Portsmouth's John Aloisi but he chose Coventry instead - he was a decent player if i recall.[/quote]

Saw him score a goal on TV the other day, he's back playing in Oz and is a star
  • Options
    rumour has it, we nearly signed cory gibbs a while back ;-)

we nearly signed jody morris - thank god (we didn't).
    did nicola berti sign for us? i seem to remember him playing a reserve game.
  • Options
    Luca Toni?
    Gabriel Batistuta - now that would have been superb! Think it was just his agent touting him about, though, and he went to the Middle East instead.
  • Options
    We also had Patrice Loko on trial......

"Patrice Loko, the French international forward, has been ordered to pay pounds 2,500 in damages for exposing himself and resisting arrest when he went on a drunken spree two years ago. A decision on an eight-month suspended prison sentence has been deferred on the Paris St-Germain striker, whose two goals helped to knock Liverpool out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in April. A court was told last week he smashed up two cars, including his own, spat in police officers' faces, urinated in a hospital corridor and demanded to be carried because his feet were "worth gold". Loko told the court he deserved to be punished."
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]We also had Patrice Loko on trial......

"Patrice Loko, the French international forward, has been ordered to pay pounds 2,500 in damages for exposing himself and resisting arrest when he went on a drunken spree two years ago. A decision on an eight-month suspended prison sentence has been deferred on the Paris St-Germain striker, whose two goals helped to knock Liverpool out of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in April. A court was told last week he smashed up two cars, including his own, spat in police officers' faces, urinated in a hospital corridor and demanded to be carried because his feet were "worth gold". Loko told the court he deserved to be punished."[/quote]

Should have signed for millwall, as he would have got on well with the fans.
  • Options
    Romario , offered him about 4 years or so ago but turned it down.

two danes or swedes called mat magnusson and lars larson in the late eighties , one ended up playing for benfica and doing rather well.

Paul Kerr , banged them in for the reserves then millwall nabbed him and he did nothing for them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Kemmy Izzet, went to Leicester

Former youth team player Kemmy Izzet, went to Colchester on a free - still there.
    Curbs wouldn't give him a new contract at 21. Never had a chance to play 1st team.

His older brother Muzzy Izzet played for Leicester.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Kemmy Izzet, went to Leicester

Former youth team player Kemmy Izzet, went to Colchester on a free - still there.
    Curbs wouldn't give him a new contract at 21. Never had a chance to play 1st team.

His older brother Muzzy Izzet played for Leicester.

Correct but I think we were close to signing Muzzy at some point? Failed a medical I think. Not sure though…
  • Options
    yes got me izzets mixed up both were on our books, also John Salakos brother
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin Reuser from Ipswich - i'm sure we very nearly signed him?
  • Options
    Never signed Berti, though me and a couple of mates did go to see him in a friendly at Welling. He scored 'n all, but he was about two stone overweight and hardly moved out of the centre circle all night. That friendly was noteworthy also for having the biggest cock I have ever seen in the 'crowd' - a bloke who spent the entire first half berating our keeper (think it was Deano but don't remember), loudly, foully and at length. At half time when we changed ends, he disappeared and, apparently, was seen at the other end doing the exact same thing. WHAT a tool
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]yes got me izzets mixed up both were on our books, also John Salakos brother

nope , Muzzy was a youth at Chelsea not Charlton
  • Options
    Buckshee is right, Muzzy was with Chelsea as a youth, and played for the same sunday club as me (year above me)
  • Options
    Dean Saunders played against us at Selhurst the year we were promoted in a 2-2 draw,he was class and could have been bought for
    £50k.

Tim Cahill should have been bought 2 years before he left Millwall.

Steven Reid criminal a player on our doorstep wasn't bought,add to that Lucas Neil

Whilst i appreciate peoples hate for Millwall these players were there for the taking.
  • Options
    Steve bull it was either Bully or Andy Jones......say no more
  • Options
    you are joking When I was - blimey that's depressing if tru.
  • Options
    gospel truth.....
  • Options
    this old thread of local lads is quite a good read:

click here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]gospel truth.....

jeez that would have been some signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we also had the electric winger, tijani Babangida of Ajax and Nigeria on trial while he was still in his prime. deemed not good enough by Mr Curbishley.
  • Options
    Tony Cascarino
  • Options
    Gerry Taggart has named both Matt Elliott and Muzzy Izzet in his all time best team he played in (as well as Neil Redfearn!)

There does seem to be some confusion as to whether Muzzy was ever with us at some point in our youth team set up as evidenced by this old Guardian article:

From Canning Town to Charlton via the Blackwall Tunnel is a well-worn route, one previously taken by the manager Alan Curbishley and more recently by Muzzy Izzet, a Charlton trainee before he diverted to Chelsea, never played a game, then moved on to Leicester for #650,000.

They have since been followed by Kem Izzet, Muzzy's younger brother, a second-year trainee at The Valley who tonight makes his third appearance of the season for the club's reserves. After being in the stand for this game, Charlton's first goalless draw at The Valley since Bury's visit last January, the 18-year-old midfielder will be hoping his match against Chelsea at Kingstonian makes for a better spectacle and produces better finishing.

Steve Walsh, in for the injured Tony Cottee up front, had a header kicked off the line and Emile Heskey carved out chances either side of the interval only to find his shot selection lacking. For Charlton Carl Tiler and Eddie Youds missed the target with free headers and Clive Mendonca's 20-yard shot fizzed past an upright.

Leicester's manager Martin O'Neill, pleased with the point and pondering the pros and cons of Heskey getting an England call-up on Friday, said: "Emile watched Michael Owen in the summer and now he tries to step back, chest the ball down and turn; before he might have tried to flick it on. Some of his turns for goals this season have been quite exceptional." Of Charlton he said: "The points they have accumulated with comparative ease would suggest there's good times ahead for them."

Not on Saturday, though, when they will face Middlesbrough without Sasa Ilic and Mark Kinsella, both likely to be needed for the rearranged Yugoslavia v Republic of Ireland Euro 2000 qualifier.[M:L "I would be happy if they waived the five-day rule but the international managers won't like it," said Curbishley, who has appealed in vain for the Boro game to be played in the new year.

Paul Mortimer pulled a hamstring here to join Shaun Newton, Richard Rufus and Neil Redfearn on the casualty list and Curbishley is down to the bare bones. "There is money to spend but I might have to revise my targets if we keep getting injuries." Or it might be a case of step forward, Kem Izzet

• Options
    Jeremy Goss of Norwich was close to signing for us & then had a change of mind
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Speaking of the ones that got away, just got a LOL from a post I made in this thread in Dec 2007, from The Organiser. Comedy, it's all about timing.
  • Options
    Apart from the Clive Mendonca comment, this is a depressing thread at the best of times. In our current straits, given that our owners wouldn"t even consider any of those players we let escape.... Hells bells, no wonder we are where we are.
  • Options
    Bradley Dack was in our youth set up before our Academy released him when he was 14/15
  • Options
    Did we have Bolasie on trial once?
  • Options

Jeremy Goss of Norwich was close to signing for us & then had a change of mind

These days we'd think ourselves lucky to get either Matt or Luke Goss.......
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see if this Arsenal U23 goes on to make it

Premier League giants Arsenal snatched the highly-rated Nigerian youngster Joseph Olowu from under the noses of Charlton Athletic.

It has come to light that the central defender was poached by the Gunners after starring in a test game, while undergoing trials with the Addicks, and he has not regretted his decision to join the Emirates outfit.

“I was 13 years of age when I was spotted by Arsenal and I was actually playing for Charlton Athletic on a trial with them in a game against the Gunners,” Olowu told arsenal.com.

“Later that night the scout who actually took me to Charlton called and told my parents that Arsenal had invited me on a six-week trial with them. ”

The 16-year-old added : “I was playing as a defensive central midfielder but straight away I was asked to play centre back by the coaches at Hale End.

“I was an Arsenal fan but was quite relaxed because I did not raise my hopes too high.”

Born in the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents, Olowu is eligible to represent Nigeria and England but has not been capped by the two nations.

He made his debut for Arsenal U23s in their 2-2 draw with Bournemouth in a pre-season fixture in July 2016.