Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For those home from The Valley

Guys, gals. I am thoroughly pissed off and despressed and I wasn't even there. Happy New Year. Thanks Charlton.

How bad was it? What the fcuk is going on down there? Do we have any hope? What is the feeling amongst the fans? How badly were they booed off? And did Super Kev (sic) get applauded off?

Someone please try to cheer me/us up. Jokes, funny New Year's stories welcome :-)

Comments

• Options
    Charlton 1 Colchester 2 - both winning goals scored by SuperKev Lisbie.

There you are mate, a funny new year story/joke to cheer you up..... ;o)
  • Options
    It was even more like a morgue than usual today.
    Our manager thinks it is fine to play 451 at home to the bottom side, our strike "force" is mediocre, the centre of midfield had zero creativity , the wingers seemed like showboaters but in fairness if there is nothing in the middle or up front then maybe that is inevitable.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Lisbie got the best reception he's had down there for years - applauded both at the start and when he went off.
    To be fair he took the penalty and the second goal very well, and could have had at least one more in the second half.

Seems strange that McLeod was on the bench but didn't come on. Maybe Pardew has as much/little confidence in him as most of the crowd.
  • Options
    At the moment, I don't think McLeod has much confidence in himself.
    That's the problem.

Send him to the Jills on loan.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]It was even more like a morgue than usual today.
    Our manager thinks it is fine to play 451 at home to the bottom side, our strike "force" is mediocre, the centre of midfield had zero creativity , the wingers seemed like showboaters but in fairness if there is nothing in the middle or up front then maybe that is inevitable.

With the exeption of the "showboating wingers" bit-inho, this is about spot on.

Not a good footballing start to the year-

Why 451 at home to the bottom side- ffs!

Lisbie's overhead was well taken though!
  • Options
    fairplay to lisbie got a reasonable reception when substituted...
    we had a lack of ideas or threat in the final third, their keeper didn't have one notable save to make and make no mistake colchester were a dire side and looked very shakey at the back and most teams in the league would have beaten them today . things can only get better from here can't they???
  • Options
    we were crying out for players to run at them all day, yet pards leaves mcleod on the bench, we are so one dimensional with iwelumo it's untrue - we aren't even any good at playing long ball!

and as for the defence... someone on here the other day on the subject of squad strengthening said they thought the defence was alright, god send them to specsavers. I don't care if Bougherra spent the first half an hour at right back or up front, as a professional footballer he should still be able to get his head up and clear a ball and do BASIC stuff. Why take the only bloke of the back 4 who looks like they can defend off if we are switching to 4-4-2? i bet paddy will be off now, what away to reward the hero of 2 days ago.

absolute shambles - be ashamed lads, be ashamed
  • Options
    paddy gave the penalty away today and could have been sent off for the foul on lisbie
  • Options
    am i alone in thinking lisbie went down easily?
  • Options
    and by the way, why the hell did lloyd sam have to do a dying swan impression in the second half? if he had gone over like any normal bloody person he probably would have got the pen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/audiopage.ink?audiourl=uploads/Charlton31756News1.wma&summary=Pardew: only positive is our league position

Worth a listen.

I can't be bothered, being bothered, cause life is far too short to give a monkeys about football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]and by the way, why the hell did lloyd sam have to do a dying swan impression in the second half? if he had gone over like any normal bloody person he probably would have got the pen.

exactly what me and mates said at the time it was a ridiculous dive when he was pushed and would probably have got the penalty if he'd gone down without the theatrics
  • Options
    I thought Lloyd Sam and Jerome Thomas both had good games today. Paddy went off because I think Pardew wanted to counter Lisbies pace and thought Paddy couldnt keep up with him. We looked better going forward when we used LLoyd and Jerome than anything else. Worst player for me was ZZ again. I really really do not rate this guy. Our biggest problem is we have no control in the middle of the park and never take a grip of games in the centre of the park. The sooner we drop ZZ, revert to 442 with Varney and A.N.Other upfront the more chance we have of this whole season not being a write off. How much longer can all those people who think ZZ is an amazing player keep defending performances as inept as his last few home games?
  • Options
    interestingly i though lloyd sam had his worst game in a charlton shirt today, some of his passing and especially crossing was dire

ZZ worked hard for me, as did holland but not pulling up any trees

sorry pards, i've just listened to that interview and i feel totally underwhelmed - same old rehashed speech from various defeats this season, nice to hear some sense spoken but the admission "we aint good enough" is a bit transparent when you look at some decisions you made, like why 4-5-1 today, with 3 central midfielders who don't carry the ball?
  • Options
    I was just pleased that Lloyd Sam didn't go missing today. His final ball was poor but he didn't hide at least, unlike that lump up front.
  • Options
    About 4 of his deliveries today were perfect fodder for a decent striker. Really. Just because your striker is about 2 yards behind the play and doesnt make the ball doesnt make it a poor delivery!
  • Options
    Blackheath you are probably right. I guess a winger is only as good as his strikers when crossing. I heard people comparing Iwelumo to Leaburn today. I think that's an insult to big Carl to be honest.
  • Options
    is there any point in crossing into an empty box though in all fairness? i remember him putting one ball of quality in, totally did the keeper but there was no red shirt within 5 yards. to me lloyd doesn't look up enough and for gods sake someone get him a left foot.

what was up with varney's goal being ruled out from those with a better view than i had? marginal decision or clear cut?
  • Options
    But he wasnt crossing into an empty box. Just that the strikers werent on the end of them. When I used to pretend to be a striker in my day I'd have loved service like that. Countless times today I said "good cross..... great ball" then couldnt believe the strikers were making the totally wrong runs.

For me I dont blame big chris. he works hard but the guy really just isnt that good. He cost nothing and has been a great buy for that reason but he is not great in the air. Bartlett was 10x better in the air and at holding up than big chris. I'd love a player like him up front this year.

To be honest I said before the game today I'd love to see Varney and Mcloed/Dickson get a run out together up front. Frighten them with pace, keep the ball on the floor and see what happens when we dont play 4-5-1 and long ball.
  • Options
    last paragraph is nail on head

they were falling over themselves any time we ran at them carrying the ball up front (about twice) yet mcleod stayed on the bench and the ball was 60 foot up in the air every 10 seconds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    blackheath - I agree with your comments re: big Chris.
  • Options
    Forgetting the many poor individual gutless performances, we just don't play as a team lesser teams play more as a team than we do and we keep getting done by them. In past games I have blamed over physical opponents but today there was no excuse, we just were not good enough against a poor team.
  • Options
    We lost every 50:50 ball today to a team that wanted it more. Apart from Big Chris, we hardly won a ball in the air all game. SuperKev was the best striker on the pitch today by an absolute mile. He gave our centre-halves a nightmare time with his pace, & he actually took responsibility in going for goal.

How many times did we play the ball across our back four & back again? Boogy to Fortune to Powell to Fortune to Boogy, followed by an aimless hoof up the pitch. It was pretty soul destroying to watch to be honest. We seemed to have totally run out of ideas after 20 minutes.

Be interesting to see who Pardew fields for the cup game. Surely he has to give some of the youngsters a chance (Arter, Wright, Wagstaff, Dickson, Randolph, Aswad Thomas). Pards needs to shake this lot up big time, & quickly.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I have seen worse Charlton teams in the last 40+ years but I don't think I have seen such a brittle, spineless side with such little umph about them. We need to start by discarding Iwelumo, he is a big part of the problem. If he had the touch of Leaburn or the guile of Mendonca or the accuracy of Bent or the hold-up play of... any half-decent striker. He has none of the these attributes and has now become a hinderance. We are a mediocre tier-2 team and on current form will do well to end-up in the top-ten. Pards needs to make some better signings than he has done so far because his players are not good tier-2 players.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]I have seen worse Charlton teams in the last 40+ years but I don't think I have seen such a brittle, spineless side with such little umph about them. We need to start by discarding Iwelumo, he is a big part of the problem. If he had the touch of Leaburn or the guile of Mendonca or the accuracy of Bent or the hold-up play of... any half-decent striker. He has none of the these attributes and has now become a hinderance. We are a mediocre tier-2 team and on current form will do well to end-up in the top-ten. Pards needs to make some better signings than he has done so far because his players are not good tier-2 players.[/quote]

I've been saying that since August! I'd be a bit happier tonight if just one of the players came off the pitch looking like they had been in a game.
  • Options
    Its midfield thats the main problem.we play 5 across it because we are week, or because each individaul is not good enough and has to be bolstered by another.If we dont and play four we are over run. We need a good strong midfield general (who?).We need another good quality forward (who?). We nee a strong centre back that can organise and lead(who?). I dont think we have the dosh. One contract cancalled was for less than £4,000 it was pest control if we have to dig that far down then we are truely in the dark and smellies.
  • Options
    when you go to Colchester, Crewe, MK Dons and Dulwich for a strike force you know what youre in for.
  • Options
    and i'll say it again...

If only we were in the position of being 7 points behind the leaders everything would be so much rosier....oh hold on.
  • Options
    7 points tonight, how many was this morning? How many will it be 2 games time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pettswoodaddick[/cite]7 points tonight, how many was this morning? How many will it be 2 games time?
    It was ten points a few weeks ago when Watford were "a class above" in the division.