Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lisbie

8 goals now in half a season playing for the bottom team. Big mistake IMO to let him go, would have been great for us in this division.
Pars has the cheek to say "he was always in the background at Charlton". Only because you didn't give him a fair go mate. One appearance against the Arse in which he played very well by all accounts. Instead he persisted with the waster M Bent.
11 bloody years it took us to get him fully fit and then we give him away for nothing.
I wouldn't mind betting that this is the longest run of league games that he has ever had and it's certainly paying dividends for him.
Well done Kev, you deserve it.

Comments

• Options
    8 games without a goal before this predictable brace though - would we give Mcleod such a luxury?
  • Options
    No, most definitely not, and we didn't with Lisbie either. 4 or five games without a goal and a couple of bad misses and the boo boys were on his back. Remember he got crucified for missing a chance at Watford when coming on as sub having not played for months!
    ZZ missed some far easier chances later in the season, but that hardly got a mention.
    A myth grew around Lisbie that he was crap, made worse by people on message boards such as this, jumping on the bandwagon and joining in the unjustified abuse.
    Well I think SuperKev has proved in the two games against us that he is a good player, and I for one am very sorry that he is banging them in for Colchester and not us.
  • Options
    he is crap, he just looked better than our crap yesterday....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]he is crap, he just looked better than our crap yesterday....

I'd rather have Lisbie on the bench than that waste of space McLeod.........

Also, what is the point in recalling Dickson from Jills and then not using him? The fella scored 8 in 11 games and his confidence would have been high, surely he's worth a punt when clearly the strikers at the club are under performing at the moment - I include Iwelumo in that statement too.
  • Options
    mcleod cost a million and lisbie went on a free... you do the math!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]he is crap, he just looked better than our crap yesterday....[/quote]

Crap in what way exactly? He has no pace, can't dribble, can't head the ball, can't shoot, can't pass?
    Or just based on his poor goals return in an injury ravaged, stop start career at Charlton.
    Just interested how anyone who knows anything about football could come to that conclusion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]mcleod cost a million and lisbie went on a free... you do the math!!

Give McCleod the same amount of games as Lisbie and then copare the stats...

Lisbie was going nowhere with us and should have been sold off ages ago. Good luck to him if he has scored a couple for the U's but lets not pretend that he is the new Pele.

Interesting that those that are saying Lisbie should have been given yet another chance are the same ones that are slagging off a player that has only made a handful of starts for us.
  • Options
    Surely though Queensland, an injury ravaged career is more than enough reason to get rid. What benefit is there is paying wages for a handful of appearances. He'll be injured again soon we all know that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Interesting that those that are saying Lisbie should have been given yet another chance are the same ones that are slagging off a player that has only made a handful of starts for us.[/quote]

Not me. Always stuck up for him and believed in his ability. I just wanted to see him have a long run in the team alongside a goalscorer like D Bent to see what he could do. The biggest frustration for me was that immediately following the brace against Spurs at the Valley and the Hat trick against Liverpool, he got injured. We never therefore got to see what effect the added confidence would have on his game.
  • Options
    People forget and I have been banging on about it since the start of the season.Lisbie was in some peoples opinion crap but in the Premier league.Whenever he went on loan at Championship level he done the business,as yet McCleod hasn't been able to do the business at Championship level.What I find quite frightning is that despite paying a million pounds for him in the last 2 games when behind Pards has not brought him on and opted for moo2 twice.Who in my opinion has not changed the game positively ,in fact I think he was to blame for the goal at Leicester.Not to say he is a bad player as I think he should of started at right back in both games instead of Magic who at present I just can't have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lisbie is playing at his level and I think needed the fresh start after a stop-start career at Charlton. Had he stayed would he have had the same impact? Maybe, maybe not.

Sad to see some people slating McLeod, I don't think he's been given much of a chance coming on as sub and has suffered under Pard's 4-5-1 policy, similarly Varney hasn't had many opportunities.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Lisbie was just a victim of circumstance - at another club rather than Charlton ,
    without the injuries, and without the opportunity to have a long run in the side - he may very well have been in established player for many years by now.

Surely, everybody could see he had great ability - including Curbishley in particular, which is why he persisted with him for so long. Despite being obviously a world beater on the training ground, he didn't appear to have a clear head under pressure.

That as much as anything is why a confidence player like Kevin Lisbie underachieved at Charlton.
    And, unless you are an instant favourite, the Charlton boo boys will always get you.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Surely though Queensland, an injury ravaged career is more than enough reason to get rid. What benefit is there is paying wages for a handful of appearances. He'll be injured again soon we all know that.[/quote]

That's a very good point Fish and normally I would agree with you. However his injuries with us were always of a freaky one off nature, such as a dislocated shoulder (not good for a Keeper BTW) nose bleeds etc.
    Nothing serious such as cruciates or broken legs. I think that now he has finally got fully fit and had a good run of games his career will finally take off. I really hope so anyway.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Surely though Queensland, an injury ravaged career is more than enough reason to get rid. What benefit is there is paying wages for a handful of appearances. He'll be injured again soon we all know that.

That's a very good point Fish and normally I would agree with you. However his injuries with us were always of a freaky one off nature, such as a dislocated shoulder (not good for a Keeper BTW) nose bleeds etc.
    Nothing serious such as cruciates or broken legs. I think that now he has finally got fully fit and had a good run of games his career will finally take off. I really hope so anyway.

Erm, the "nose bleeds" were life threatening which i consider pretty serious!!

I say good luck to him as well to be honest. Great professional, nobody can deny that.
  • Options
    After you with the rose tinted specs fellas...
  • Options
    agree Heath Hero - he was absolute sh*te for us, barring a couple of freak games

you just knew when he was through on goal he would somehow feck it up, 99 times out of 100 he did

i'm glad he is doing ok for Colchester & wish him no ill, but this sudden reappraisal of him as some kind of unsung, unfulfilled super-striker is insane

he scored 16 goals for us in 10+ years ffs
  • Options
    we made lisbie look good yesterday as did Liverpool a few years ago. That does not make him a great player or even a good player.

Yes i wish him all the best but we have to move on.

I did the stadium tour Yesterday and Dicksons kit was laid out in the changing room so i expected him to make the bench surely he was bang in form when we bought him.

However if you looked at the bench yesterday we had Ambrose, Varney,Mcleod,Attackers and Moots as defence.

I would have put dickson in if only to give mcleod a break from the rightly so if not harsh press he has been getting on sites like this

i did hear from a mate that Dickson was due to meet up with Ghana squad today for a training camp to get the final players for the african nations cup which may have explained his absence
  • Options
    by the way nth lon addicks, what is Moots?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]by the way nth lon addicks, what is Moots?
    Moo2Kill
  • Options
    I was absolutely gutted that we lost yesterday.

However the one consolation for me is that if it was written that we had to lose then Kevin Lisbie scored the goals.

That guy took a shedload of unwarranted, unjustified abuse throughout his time at Charlton and, assuming he could stay fit which with him is a big assumption, he would be a tremendous asset to us now.

I was very pleased he got the applause he deserved yesterday with very little booing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i know i'll be shouted down or told to f**k off ;-) for saying this but lisbies stats are made to sound worse because of the length of time he spent here and his luck with injuries.
    in his whole career he has started 101 games, only 4 of which have been below the 2nd tier, and has scored 30 goals.
    he has made a lot of sub appearances, but how many of them were the last 5-10 mins and how many did he play wide as opposed to upfront.
    i don't think a fair comparison can be made between him and mcloed until he (mcloed) has made the equivalent appearances. imo i'll be surprised if mcloed makes any premiership appearances and am not convinced that he will make 100 2nd tier apps.
    i hope i get proved wrong and mcloed bangs in 30 goals for us in the next 2 years, but i can't see it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i know i'll be shouted down or told to f**k off ;-) for saying this but lisbies stats are made to sound worse because of the length of time he spent here and his luck with injuries.
    in his whole career he has started 101 games, only 4 of which have been below the 2nd tier, and has scored 30 goals.
    he has made a lot of sub appearances, but how many of them were the last 5-10 mins and how many did he play wide as opposed to upfront.
    i don't think a fair comparison can be made between him and mcloed until he (mcloed) has made the equivalent appearances. imo i'll be surprised if mcloed makes any premiership appearances and am not convinced that he will make 100 2nd tier apps.
    i hope i get proved wrong and mcloed bangs in 30 goals for us in the next 2 years, but i can't see it.

Spot on about Lisbie. The jury has to be out still on McLeod because in all fairness the lad has had little opportunity.
  • Options
    Might as well go on a big wind-up......

If Lisbie had still been playing for us, he wouldn't have scored 3 times against us.
    That could have been worth 4 extra points to us.

And he may have been OUR leading goalscorer by now.
    Or maybe not. ;o)
  • Options
    I don't wish Lisbie any ill and think it was best for both parties that he moved on in the summer.

However, lets be realistic, if he is such a loss to us why are Colchester bottom and us 5th?

I wish him well but Pards was right in saying that 10 years was long enough for both parties and that it was time to move on.

Let's not forget, if he had stayed with us and only performed, for example, to what Varney has produced so far then people would have been screaming that we had "no ambition" and that we should have let him go in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i know i'll be shouted down or told to f**k off ;-) for saying this but lisbies stats are made to sound worse because of the length of time he spent here and his luck with injuries.

i make you right pbs.there does seem to be a few on here with blinkers on and just won't see reason with what we have achieved in the recent past and are too wrapped up in their own agenda as they clearly backed the wrong horse.

still,we will soon be told to jog on or some other cliché by the politicians out there.
  • Options
    30 goals in 104 starts is an interesting stat, especially when you considerer that a lot of those starts would have been following long injury lay offs. Some of them would have been out on loan at different clubs in unfamiliar surroundings.
    The stat that I would love to know is what is the most consecutive games that he played for us? Anyone Know?
    I think this is vitally important for a striker to have a good run of games to find his form and is the reason why Varney and Mcleod are struggleing.
    It took Mike Flanagan a couple of seasons to hit top form and Andy Hunt also took time to settle in.
    Lisbie would break back into the team having been injured for months and people would expect him to take the first chance that came his way.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we made lisbie look good yesterday as did Liverpool a few years ago. That does not make him a great player or even a good player.[/quote]

Are you serious? Scoring a hat trick against Liverpool in the premier league doesn't make you a good player?
    So the third goal where he ran from the half way line, beat a couple of players and fired into the bottom corner from 20 yards was pure luck by a poor player then.
  • Options
    Are you serious? Scoring a hat trick against Liverpool in the premier league doesn't make you a good player?
    So the third goal where he ran from the half way line, beat a couple of players and fired into the bottom corner from 20 yards was pure luck by a poor player then.[/quote]

I see your point Queensland but sometimes a hat-trick can come out of the blue for mediocre players against the best sides. Just look back to Dennis Bailey scoring a hat-trick against Man Utd at Old Trafford back in 1992!!!

Dennis Bailey FFS!!!! That's a bloke who less than three years after netting three times against the Champions was playing for Gillingham in the third tier of the game.

Lisbie has some talent, I don't deny that, but I think that it was always going to be much easier for him away from The Valley where he had too much baggage.
  • Options
    Yeh Ormy I remember Dennis Bailey, and seeing him score that hat trick for QPR on TV . I saw him play on loan for us a couple of seasons later and he did bugger all.
    My point is that even to play for Gillingham in this day and age you have to be a good player.
    It's all relative I suppose, but I would describe myself as a crap player. It annoys me to hear Lisbie described as a crap player because it simply isn't true. Maybe crap at finishing during his days with us, for the reasons discussed above, but a crap footballer, no.
    Lot's of if's, but I will always maintain that had he managed to stay fit and in the side for a run of 20 games or more, then we would have seen the best of him. Unfortunately we only saw flashes of his ability. Colchester it seems are seeing the best of him instead, which is a great shame I think.
    Having someone like Lisbie in the team makes a team play football in the way it should be played.
    If you play just with a Big Chris, or Matt Svenson up front, you fall into the trap of just humping it up in the air, which is what we are doing at the moment. A player like Lisbie could open up defences and make things happen on his own, I don't think Big Chris can do that on a regular basis.
    Anyway how are you coping with all this rain? It hasn't stopped here since the start of December with the worst still to come at the weekend.
  • Options
    I was always of the opinion that lisbies biggest weakness was that final moment before shooting, never quite being able to beat the keeper. But this was done at Premiership level, if his career had been spent with a club at level 2, I am sure he would have had an outstanding career and maybe developed the confidence later to make it as a middling Premiership striker.

As for him being with the bottom club, well it takes more than one player to make the team and his goal scoring record this season isn't bad for a player at the bottom of the league.