Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lisbie

2»

Comments

• Options
    Spot on Kap. The problem was that he managed to get himself into these one on one situations in most games that he played in, only to screw up the majority of times. I think this is where fans lost patience with him and the "crap" myth arose.
    He would have actually done himself a big favour by not getting through on goal so often.
    I always thought that they should bring Derek Hales in for a couple of weeks to show him what to do when confronted by the keeper.
    Anyway he is now playing in the second level and banging them in for a bottom team. If he carries on the way he's going I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Curbs making a bid for him in the summer.
  • Options
    Blimey what a load of old tosh, Lisbie is a decent player no more, no less. He came up against his boyhood club, must have been incredibly fired up to prove a point to Pards, then came up against the worst defensive display since.......well the last game ;). Recipe for what happened Tuesday. Happens all the time with ex-players. Good luck to him I say, preferred him to Big Bent, Rommedahl, Jeffers and all the other tossers we had for so long.

I pray that we give McLeod and Varney a decent run up front, we don't exactly look potent at the moment anyway.
  • Options
    Lisbie's problem was only ever one of composure at the moment of a goalscoring opportunity - many of which he created for himself against top Premier defences with his own skill and ability.

There was never a question of Lisbie lacking ball skills & technique.
    Management have always known that.

Call him crap? Give him the ball and he'd run rings round any poster on here.
    You'd have your breath taken away with what these players can do with a ball on the training ground.

And McLeod is no different.

But where the Lisbie's & McLeod's fall down in matches is that they've not handled the pressure & expectation well enough.
    You look at top goalscorers - what they have in common is nerves of steel, composure and not being afraid to miss.

At Charlton that was the only thing lacking with Lisbie.
    And McLeod is no different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

As for him being with the bottom club, well it takes more than one player to make the team and his goal scoring record this season isn't bad for a player at the bottom of the league.

darren bent was with a bottom of the table team at stages last year

i think the reason people, myself included, don't rate mcleod is that on the limited evidence we've seen , he looks a very poor player imo , his touch is awful his shooting ability is woeful, he just doesn't appear to be a good footballer where as i think there's something about varney that given time he looks like he could flourish into a better player , better touch and movement imo.... only time will tell but i'd love em both to be the bees knees but i think only one has a chance....
  • Options
    He scored 2 against a piss poor defence, 1 of which was a pen, hardly banging them in is he. Incidently, the view of a Colchester fan I work with is that he hasn't been all that since the first few weeks of the season.

The stats say that as a player for us he made 68 starts, 101 as sub and scored 19 goals. His most prolific season came when he scored a mighty 5, 3 of which were in 1 game. That is a dreadful record no matter how much spin you put on it.

While with us he went on loan to Norwich, QPR, Derby, Reading and Gillingham. He made 17 starts and scored 6 goals, 4 of which was for the Gills in League 1. He had more than enough oppertunities to prove himself at Charlton but never made the grade.

You can look at it through roes tinted glasses as much as you want but he will no doubt go down with colchester at the end of the season and I doubt very much that there will be many clubs after his signature.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]limey what a load of old tosh, Lisbie is a decent player no more, no less. He came up against his boyhood club, must have been incredibly fired up to prove a point to Pards, then came up against the worst defensive display since.......well the last game ;). Recipe for what happened Tuesday. Happens all the time with ex-players. Good luck to him I say, preferred him to Big Bent, Rommedahl, Jeffers and all the other tossers we had for so long.
    [/quote]

Just a shame it didn't happen for Big Chris against his former club!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Just a shame it didn't happen for Big Chris against his former club![/quote]

I think they defended him well, although to be fair it was pretty one-dimensional stuff going up to him. The defenders didn't have to be quick or particularly skilful just committed and strong which they were.
  • Options
    The stats say that as a player for us he made 68 starts, 101 as sub and scored 19 goals. His most prolific season came when he scored a mighty 5, 3 of which were in 1 game. That is a dreadful record no matter how much spin you put on it.

19 in 68 starts, thats one goal every 3 1/2 games started. Doesn't sound too bad to me, considering those 68 starts were spread over 11 years. The guy certainly spent a lot of time on the sidelines.

As for only 5 goals in his best season, you forget to mention that he was out injured for half of it following the Liverpool hat trick.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    In my opinion Lisbie's greatest strength is his ability to create chances for himself (which, ok he often misses!) or others.

He is not reliant on midfield service like so many strikers and in my opinion we have missed a striker with the ability to create something himself this season.

Oggy (I think) pointed out that the midfield got too detached from Big Chris because the back 4 defend too deep. Why did they defend deep on Tuesday? They were sh** scared of SuperKev's pace that's why!

If the back 4 and midfield are deep the strikers need the ability to make chances for themselves.

In fairness though Luke Varney may prove capable of that role given more opportunity.
  • Options
    But Len, I said that three hours ago! Nice of you to agree though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]But Len, I said that three hours ago! Nice of you to agree though.

We've both said it for years but people don't seem to take it in!

No harm in telling them yet again :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In my opinion Lisbie's greatest strength is his ability to create chances for himself (which, ok he often misses!) or others.

He is not reliant on midfield service like so many strikers and in my opinion we have missed a striker with the ability to create something himself this season.

Oggy (I think) pointed out that the midfield got too detached from Big Chris because the back 4 defend too deep. Why did they defend deep on Tuesday? They were sh** scared of SuperKev's pace that's why!

If the back 4 and midfield are deep the strikers need the ability to make chances for themselves.

In fairness though Luke Varney may prove capable of that role given more opportunity.

I'm don't disagree with you there. The one atribute that Lisbie does have is pace, I just question his ability to use it.

However, that aside, that is the gripe I have with Pards at the moment. Center halves aren't scared by long balls to a target man, it's bread and butter for them. Defenders are worried by players with pace. We have strikers with pace, why have they spent the majority of games warming the bench?
  • Options
    However, that aside, that is the gripe I have with Pards at the moment. Center halves aren't scared by long balls to a target man, it's bread and butter for them. Defenders are worried by players with pace. We have strikers with pace, why have they spent the majority of games warming the bench?

Because none of them are as good as Lisbie, and he wasn't good enough for a new contract
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jesus, are you a relative or something? 45 posts on Kevin f8ckin' Lisbie! Shame he didn't score that many goals...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Jesus, are you a relative or something?[/quote]

No just bored. It hasn't stopped pi***ng down with rain here for weeks.
    Interesting discussion though. Thanks guys, thought I'd cop more abuse than I did
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Jesus, are you a relative or something?

No just bored. It hasn't stopped pi***ng down with rain here for weeks.

Bet it's a bloody sight warmer though...... ;o)
  • Options
    lisbie is shit,he scored two goals,thats what strikers do,sadly he does very little of it.
  • Options
    nice to read your subtle thoughts again Nolly where you been man.
  • Options
    back for good steve back for good!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]lisbie is shit,he scored two goals,thats what strikers do,sadly he does very little of it.[/quote]

(Season 2001-2 )= 5 goals in only 10 Starts (Season 2003-04)= 4 goals in only 5 Starts

For us (mainly in Premiership) 68 starts 19 goals = 1 in 3.5
    on loan 17 starts 6 goals = 1 in 3
    For Colchester 22 starts 8 goals = 1 in 2.75

So throughout his career 1 goal every three starts. Yep I bow to your superior knowledge, a shit striker indeed.
    Thank f*ck we've got such great fans though!