Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford top of the league...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Obviously missed this thread first time round but have now read all the posts from last year.

I was a Darts supporter in the early 60's ( I know, I know ! ) and attended all home matches and many away for several years with my fave Uncle Harry. Train journeys to Port Vale in the FA Cup & Yeovil with their infamous sloping pitch - great days out. Even went out with a player a few times....anyone remember tricky Dicky Wheeler ? And Alf Ackerman's wife running on the pitch to attack the ref with her brolly when he sent off her other half ? Lots of good memories. Wish I knew the real names of those posters who would have been around at that time.....

And like KBslittlesis, I too am Dartford born & bred, and my parents before me and feel so sad that our town has gone into such decline. Although I still live within walking distance of the town centre, I rarely venture in with little to tempt me now.

But as others have said, it's great to hear that the Darts are tasting success again. Long may it last." Give me a D..."
  • Options
    Huh, you Darts were our bitter enemies ..... !!

Down at Park View Road under the guidance of player manager and ex-Charlton stalwart John Hewie (aged about 42 at the time!), Bexley United ruled the lower half of the Southern League table. I'm sure I clearly remember us reaching the dizzy heights of 13th around 1968.

And Dickie Wheeler played for us! .... he was our George Best, Beatle haircut and all. Still see him in that red number 8 shirt. ;o)

But despite all my principles, I still rooted for Darts in their Final at Wembley in 1974, and cheered when they equalised.
    Shame about Morecambe's 88th minute winner.

I've still got my Wembley ticket...... offers over £100 gladly welcomed or I'll just have to put it on eBay.
  • Options
    5-0 win at the weekend against Hendon.

Top of the league by 5 points and scored 23 goals in 7 games, conceding 4.
  • Options
    It's good to see them doing so well, not quite as good as 6 wins out of 6 but very good none the less. ;-)
  • Options
    Oggy - I've still got my rosette . Any offers ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Oggy - I've still got my rosette . Any offers ??

I doubt it, Fanny ........ you see I was a United fan, a glory hunter.
    Bexley United !

But I did give Darts a shout at Wembley in 1974.