Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gray coming - update fee agreed

Comments

• Options
    Just read an update on the Burnley site and it sounds like a done deal.....apparently Gray was sent home from training this morning after telling the boss that he wanted to go to Charlton.....Im quite excited by this signing, could be the boost that we need....cant wait for tomorrow!
    Come on you reds!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]<sarky>I haven't seen him play in a Charlton shirt yet, but he shit, and I'm not going to give him a chance cause it doesn't live up to my expectations </Sarky>

Sash how do you get them Sarky quotes to come up?

Do you click BBC Code button twice ? :-)
  • Options
    So who's going to put the crosses in to give Gray a service?

Lloyd Sam usually puts his behind the goal.

And John Thomas doen't normally bother crossing anyway........
  • Options
    That's the one!

He's been near enough 1 in 2 for both Burnley and Sheffield United, he proven at this level, and I don't see the problem in the signing
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I still hope that we'll be using the loan system.

Glad we're going to get another forward. Not a player whose signing gets me jumping up and down with excitement but that was the same with Andy Hunt. Will wait to see how he pans out and hopes he scores a winner against Palace and every other team we play.
  • Options
    I think people are getting carried away here. Most have been moaning about the lack of a signing, now we have one (or are close to one), people say he's not what we need. The same people who'd moan we didn't get a striker in January, if Varney or Iwelumo get injured and leave us with Dickson and McLeod up front.
    I'm pretty sure Pards knows who we need and will get them
  • Options
    and defensively we've shipped as many as West Brom and Bristol City. The problem is at the other end
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Just read an update on the Burnley site and it sounds like a done deal.....apparently Gray was sent home from training this morning after telling the boss that he wanted to go to Charlton.....Im quite excited by this signing, could be the boost that we need....cant wait for tomorrow!
    Come on you reds!

C'mon guys, get thrilled!

If Tel-in-Oz can get excited about Andy Gray all the way from Australia, you should be close to orgasm in SE7....!

If the signing works out: Gray scores goals, helps get us promoted and becomes an instant hero.
    If he's cack, and we're cack too - then the Valley boo boys have got a new victim.
    Win - win deal. Everybody happy!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]That's the one!

He's been near enough 1 in 2 for both Burnley and Sheffield United, he proven at this level, and I don't see the problem in the signing[/quote].

I'd be interested to see his stats at his other clubs Rothko. I don't ever remember him as a decent goalscorer. he certainly weren't banging them in when he was at Bradford or Sunderland. £2 million is too much for a journey man, who has proved he can't score in the top league & has a depreciating sell on value. He's in no better than what we have.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    28 goals in 65 games at Sheffield United, 25 in 60 for Burnley. His record at Sunderland is poor, but then Sunderland were very very poor in the Premiership, and at Bradford, his record in this division is good.

I'll worry about Premier League players, when we're in the Premier League
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]and defensively we've shipped as many as West Brom and Bristol City. The problem is at the other end

Since we've changed formation, we've scored 7 in 3, or 6 in 2. The last time we didn't score in a game was back at the Sheff U game in November.

On the other hand, we have kept one clean sheet in the last 12 games.

I've got nothing against the signing at all, i'm just saying if the pot is small my priority would of been elsewhere.
  • Options
    That's a pretty hot record - 2 goals in every 5 matches consistantly.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    League and Cup for his most recent four clubs...

BURNLEY - 71(2) = 30

SUNDERLAND - 13(9) = 1 (against us!)

SHEF U - 63(2) = 28

BRADFORD - 81 = 21
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]andy gray will be the new jimmy melrose, his goals will push us to the promised land

it was too positive a quote from me so i had to make them your words oggy;-)
  • Options
    Numerically, we're under strength, AFKA.

This is our chance to get another player productive & experienced at this level.

If we had a couple of injuries in March, who would you play alongside McLeod.....Ambrose?
  • Options
    From the outsdie looking in, I am hoping for an experienced centre back before the window closes. Chris Perry back from Luton?

Only (partially) joking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]and defensively we've shipped as many as West Brom and Bristol City. The problem is at the other end

Since we've changed formation, we've scored 7 in 3, or 6 in 2. The last time we didn't score in a game was back at the Sheff U game in November.

On the other hand, we have kept one clean sheet in the last 12 games.

I've got nothing against the signing at all, i'm just saying if the pot is small my priority would of been elsewhere.

I don't think the pot is as small as we'd think especially as a couple of players will no doubt leave and the Club is just pleading poverty to get the best possible deals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]andy gray will be the new jimmy melrose, his goals will push us to the promised land

it was too positive a quote from me so i had to make them your words oggy;-)

Love it, OoAh.....!! LOL

Yay, you are indeed the new Oggy. ;o)
  • Options
    Don't know what to think about this signing to be honest.

On the negative side he's had more clubs than Tiger Woods or Marcus Bent, and is expensive on a Championship budget at £1.5 possibly £2 millon at the age of 30.

Being positive he is the form striker of the division so can score at this level. If he can make a fist of that link up job Toddy did so well for a few games it could prove money well spent if we gain promotion.

Conclusion: Trust in Pards. I used to say trust in Curbs and that worked pretty well on the whole. We need to show similar faith in Pards as he appears to have gone out on a bit of a limb to get this guy in so presumably he must rate him highly.
  • Options
    Clean sheet record in the Championship. Oh look we're not that bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    give the bloke ffs........we have had to put with pony llike Leaburn, Lisbie, and numerous others and your not giving this guy a chance, wouldnt mind he aint signed on the dotted line yet, give the club,manager and players the encouragment they deserve
  • Options
    Good points, Len.

Don't forget Pards was turned down for a million plus - but has come back with a better offer, so he want's his man and now.

The player seems to have a bit of a P*rker moment. Burnley turned down the offer, but as he fancied a change from playing in front of 9,000 people in a dead end industrial wasteland and a double your money deal, then he'll walk all the way to The Valley.

Is he a born & bred, bread & dripping Northern monkey - or has been down to the bright lights of London before?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Is he a born & bred, bread & dripping Northern monkey - or has been down to the bright lights of London before?

probably on holidays and theatre trips no doubt :-)
  • Options
    don't they have theatres ooop norf??

:D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]don't they have theatres ooop norf??

:D

only outdoor ones that don't require heating or lights...no electric!

seriously though, just looked up his stats: oldham, leeds, burnley, sheff u, sunderland, bury, bradford, nottingham.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Clean sheet record in the Championship.Oh look we're not that bad.

Interesting stats. We've got the best record in the league when keeping a clean sheet as we've won 8 out of 8 which would suggest that it would be a good idea to keep more clean sheets ; - ) and does back up AFKA's point that a defender is more needed than another forwarded.

I would still like to see someone like Song or A.N Other Arsenal player to improve the side defensively in central midfield. If not stick Basey in the middle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving I would still like to see someone like Song or A.N Other Arsenal player to improve the side defensively in central midfield. If not stick Basey in the middle.

Would love to see an Arsenal loan but if we put Basey in front of fit centre backs i'd expect to see a couple of transfer requests coming in!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Well technically he's a Scot rather than a northerner being the son of Frank, and so the nephew of Eddie, Gray. (older people will know who these people were. For the youngsters they played before the premiership started)

He's been capped for Scotland so we could have all jock frontline with Iwelumo, Gray and McLeod : - )

He was born in Harrowgate which is posh Yorkshire so most likely can hold a knife and fork when eating his black pudding and haggis
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving I would still like to see someone like Song or A.N Other Arsenal player to improve the side defensively in central midfield. If not stick Basey in the middle.[/cite]
    [cite]

Would love to see an Arsenal loan but if we put Basey in front of fit centre backs i'd expect to see a couple of transfer requests coming in![/cite]

I think he is suggesting playing Basey in midfield (instead of Holland?) rather than at centre half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving I would still like to see someone like Song or A.N Other Arsenal player to improve the side defensively in central midfield. If not stick Basey in the middle.[/cite]
    [cite]

Would love to see an Arsenal loan but if we put Basey in front of fit centre backs i'd expect to see a couple of transfer requests coming in![/cite]

I meant in front as in playing in midfield holding role not as a centre back.