Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great sporting moments of our time............

2»

Comments

• Options
    In no particular order:-

66 World Cup

2003 Rugby World Cup

Cassius Clay (later Muhammad Ali) beating Sonny Liston

Ali beating George Foreman in Zaire

Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in the 1985 Snooker World Championships

Steve Ovett winning Olympic Gold. Coe was the media darling and they hated Ovett because he wouldn't play their games.
  • Options
    The state of the team the following day after winning the Ashes in 2005 - extrodinary they got away with it, shows how much good feeling there was for them
    1981 Ashes series - winning after following on
    India beating the aussies also after following on, about what 5 years ago.
    Bit of a theme there Rugby world cup 2003
  • Options
    Ben Johnson winning the 100m final at Seoul 1988 (before the drugs shame)
    Linford Christie winning the 100m final at Barcelona 1992
    Sally Gunnell and Jonathan Edwards at the same games
    I totally agree with Ali beating Foreman in Zaire in October 1974. Watch the docu-film "When we were Kings" if you don't believe me
    The 2005 Ashes series - it's cliched but it is the greatest EVER series
    Ian Botham, 1981 Ashes and all that
    1966 and all that
    Maradona v England World Cup 1986 - not the handball but the greatest goal EVER scored obviously
  • Options
    For me, the greatest classic moments I have witnessed/seen on tv are (in no particular order):

Sir Beefy' hitting his first delivery faced for 6 v aussies in 85 (bowler o'donnell ?)

2005 ashes series - esp the win by 3 runs and having them 5 down on the first morning of the Lords test - only to be 20-5 ourselves mid afternoon !

Euro 96 - 4-1 v holland and Gazza's goal v the scots.

Owen's goal v the argies in 98. Linekers hat trick v mexico in 86

sir clives hat trick at wemberly in may 98 - just one word for it. sublime. Ilic's save & the "bundle" that followed.

coe v ovett in summer of 80/81 (?) - world records broken one after another.

Kevin keegan falling off his bike on Superstars - ripping his back to shreads and then getting back on to finish.

recent ryder cups - esp the mickelson/woods pairing where the best 2 in the world could beat our lads and mickelson hooking one virtually oob on the 18th and tigers face once he knew where it was.

Justine rose chipping in from 50 yeards at the 18th at royal birkdale in 98. Jean Van de velde at carnoustie. Constaina rocca chipping in on the 18th at st andrews after his first put didn't carry the valley of sin.
  • Options
    No.1 Play off final.

England playing Rubgy at Croke Park was something that I didn't think would happen because of the history of the place.
  • Options
    that goal keeper cant remember the geezers name agita or something, but the scorpion kick against columbia. goal keeper thought the whistle went.
    oh and nigel ben vs eubank.
  • Options
    Higuita you fraggle!!

Make sure you get the 101!!! ;-)

Frank Bruno out pointing Oliver McCall

Lennox Lewis becoming undisputed heavyweight champion of the world and decimating a whole division.
  • Options
    thats him!!!

na i been doing some research and im just gunna get a cab from chatham. last train from rochester 11:40. better than 9:30.
  • Options
    Furry muff. Should be a grin, you wanna see the old molisher I sorted out for Medders (stripper ain't the word!!)
  • Options
    1971 The Oval India win their first ever test (and test series) in England and I was there for 4 of the 5 days, including the 5th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to agree with everyone who picked Psycho's penalty in Euro 96.

Also

Steve Redgrave's 5th gold medal in Sydney
    The pile up on top of Sasa after the penalty save
    Wilkinson dropping the winning kick in the world cup
    and ........
    Torvill and Dean getting a complete set of 6's for bolero in Sarajevo