Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of the Valley Clean Up Operation

Comments

• Options
    Slightly crappy scans but they give you an idea of what it was like - enjoy !

Albertan (where it is currently -43C with the wind chill...)
  • Options
    Thanks Albertan...

And thanks to everyone who was there.
  • Options
    Nice one Albertan.....I'll have to get my old photos from the ex wife and see if I can get them scanned.
  • Options
    Great day, the fire in the centre circle was terrific - people just streaming up to it and throwing on anything they could get their hands on. The old WEesr Stand roped off for safety reasons, but a few managed to get into it to grab bits to keep the fire burning!
  • Options
    Remember being with about 6 mates and me brother (Nth London Addick). Walking around the throwing bits onto the fire clearing the weeds from the terraces. Then pulling down one of the old outbuildings behind the Jimmy Seed Stand. A great day. And One of the days that made me PROUD to be a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    I remember having my last every piss in the old "outdoor" toilet in the now west-stand carpark, helping Roger Alwen's wife lift out a tree from the East Terrace and finding loads of old yearbooks stashed behind the old stand. I have loads of photos of the day but cannot for the life of me find them!
  • Options
    I was reminded today by a couple of mates who came down with me on clean up day, just for the pure hell of it "bunked in" by the Sam Bartram gates, bought back a few memory`s. :)
  • Options
    I was eight or nine at the time, but remember it. Went to the ground with dad, we brought a shovel and pitch fork and other gardening implements. My dad is a keen gardener and was determined to weed the pitch.

I remember a fair number of people being there and people really getting stuck in; some guys where digging out the red pathway that runs around the pitch. Others (including me) were scrambling over the West Stand and having great fun feeding the fire and helping to demolish the Stand - eventually we were dragged off for safety reasons.

There was a general feeling of "Right, lets rebuild the ground with our bare hands".

The day ended with fans standing on the east terrace listening to a club official talk about the clubs plans for the Valley.

I think the club organized the day to see what sort of interest there was in Charlton coming back to the Valley. They got the fans answer that day.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]working too hard to have a bloody chat !!

Remember walking down Charlton Lane carrying a spade and fork. When I got there a JCB would've been more appropriate. Got a feeling of pride and comaraderie even though I knew no-one else there at that time. Think Golfie may have been with me, jimmymelrose was too young.

Oiiiiiiiii! I was there - too young! I was 13. You're memory is useless Large. It was just you and I that day on the East Terrace in the rain. I remember that we took shovels and spent ages tearing up the weeds. Can't remember much else except for the fire and a feeling that we could make it happen.
    Golfie was at home moaning about it all, saying it was useless as we'd never get back anyway ;-
  • Options
    Sorry about the YOU'RE.

Jeez, I'll be saying SHOULD OF next if I'm not careful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    great post Foulerr, i remember very few incidents from when i was 8, so a real good read of you remembering yours.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: foulerr[/cite]
    I think the club organized the day to see what sort of interest there was in Charlton coming back to the Valley. They got the fans answer that day.

Nail on the head foulerr, what was achieved on the day itself may not have been too important but the message it sent to the board (and other Charlton fans) was massive.....
  • Options
    I remember going to the ground with a dozen or so mates not all Charlton but wanted to help!
    I think we got there early doors and was one of the last to leave!

It was my mates ball we played with as we were going to maryon park after for a kick about!

Those photos brought back some memorys!!

Makes you proud to be Charlton!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Golfie was at home moaning about it all, saying it was useless as we'd never get back anyway ;-)

That's made my day!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Golfie was at home moaning about it all, saying it was useless as we'd never get back anyway ;-

Now that is funny.

To my regret I didn't go. I know I intended to but I can't for the life of me remember why not. Fantastic to read all the stories and massive respect to those who did go.

I remember hearing about it afterwards and how many were there and thinking that the club was on the way back. It gave us all a huge lift to know that there were so many who cared.
  • Options
    bump for DA9
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]bump for DA9

Cheers, very emotional reading all that
  • Options
    As I was 12 at the time smashing up the the old main stand was what myself and my brothers did. How no one got hurt still amazes me now.
  • Options
    was 2 April 1989 - 26 years ago.

Any memories or photos for @CHATHMuseum?
  • Options
    I got married the day before and when I woke up the following morning my wife said "You want to go down the Valley don't you?" to which I replied "Yeah but it wouldn't be fair on you" She just said "go on, phone your Dad and get down there"

I did and Dad and me went down about an hour later. What she said still brings a tear to my eye. She knew I just had to be there,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think there was a large photo on the back page of the Mercury where I was carrying things across the pitch to be burnt.

There was. You me & 2 other guys, carrying a row of seats from the old stand to the bonfire.

• Options
    Posted these back in 2008 but they seem to have disappeared
  • Options
    More fire
  • Options
    Wonderful stuff Albertan.

Can I nick them for the Museum?
  • Options
    Last one
  • Options

Wonderful stuff Albertan.

Can I nick them for the Museum?

Certainly !

• Options
    Found one more
  • Options
    Health & Safety would have a bloody fit if this happened in today's namby pamby times.