Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of the Valley Clean Up Operation

13»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Tears to the eye is the overwhelming reaction I have to one of the best experiences ever as a Charlton supporter.
    The day before we'd played a miserable 0-0 against Boro at Selhurst, on the Sunday morning I got up, and looked at the miserable grey rainy day, and said to myself 'well nobody's going to be there, but i'll go'. I planned to get there early (about 9.30 for 10), and stuck a spade across the rack on the back of my motorbike and set off thinking it might come in handy.
    Driving there with the rain coating my visor I once again thought I would be the only one turning up, I turned down Floyd road about 9.30 and heard this weird clanking sound, and quickly realised it wasn't the bike.
    Parked and got the spade and went in about 9.30, and realised the clanking was all the other people, who had also got their early, and brought spades and such with them. I swear to this day that when I first arrived there were already about 500 people there scattered around everywhere and simply, and determinedly getting on with it.
    I believe Richard Redden then turned up with a big stereo and plonked it down near me at the centre of the East Terrace and played RRR on a loop. I got to work on the weeds on the East Terrace and with all of us working non stop it looked like the old Valley in well under an hour.
    The fellowship was fantastic, I remember Steve Sutherland organising loads of weak tea in polystyrene cups from the Valley Club area, Lennie was there and made a little speech, and the wonderful Steve Gritt also arrived and walked around the newly cleared pitch with his family.
    The reason it was fantastic, in the days well before computers and the internet, was getting there and realising it wasn't just me, all these other beautiful people felt the same way, and had hauled themselves down to the beautiful old magic place to kiss it back to life.
    A really great day.

We won Two Nil against Boro.
  • Options
    The pitch then was still better than last season.
  • Options
    Two nil? Gosh I remember it as 0-0, at least I got the opposition right.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Two nil? Gosh I remember it as 0-0, at least I got the opposition right.

Huge win in the fight to stay up that season. First win in six with goals from Humphery and Mortimer. First home win since January and took us above Boro.

Final League Table

14th Charlton 42pts GD -14
    18th Middlesbrough (R) 39pts GD -17
  • Options

I got married the day before and when I woke up the following morning my wife said "You want to go down the Valley don't you?" to which I replied "Yeah but it wouldn't be fair on you" She just said "go on, phone your Dad and get down there"

I did and Dad and me went down about an hour later. What she said still brings a tear to my eye. She knew I just had to be there,

Crikey! Your wife sounds like a bloody angel - I'd keep hold of her if I were you!
  • Options
    Ah, the last minute evening rush to add sand to the yellow paint to make the steps along the east stand route safe so the safety certificate would be awarded.
    Exhausted for the game but a real sense of pride, togetherness and achievement

• Options
    Weren't there two days....I went on the second day.....will put up some photos when I find them again....great memories