Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£4 MILL REID BID

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2008
    he has to sign for a "premiership" club so why can't it be ours this time around ;-)
  • Options
    hope so m8
  • Options
    Bite there hands off
  • Options
    that's what uncle curbs would say anyway browny... !
  • Options
    An hour before this story broke someone on 606 said Reid was going Sunderland and Halford was on loan, with a view to a permanent, to us.
    I like Halford but would like to see a creative player join if Reid leaves.
  • Options
    definately mart,if a creative player leaves and he is the only 1 in the team then 1 must come in.
  • Options
    As long as he passes the medical, its a done deal.

The player wants the move.
  • Options
    how you no mate?
  • Options
    If he wants to go then what can you do?I'll be guteed if he does go.
  • Options
    Got something from my contact along the same lines.

If Andy wants to go, then so be it, Sunderland are paying at the top end of the market for a player with injury problems, who can be brilliant, but has history with fitness and injury.

It's good money, if we can get someone else in, then good, if not, we get on with playing the way we've been playing in recent weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    distinctly unimpressed, another mercenary can't bear to stick it out til the end of the season and leaves a half-done job
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]distinctly unimpressed, another mercenary can't bear to stick it out til the end of the season and leaves a half-done job

I don't see where Reid has said he wants to go ??
  • Options
    will no in the next day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]distinctly unimpressed, another mercenary can't bear to stick it out til the end of the season and leaves a half-done job

working on the above 'sources' Stu, it's obviously not all kosher yet but it's looking more and more that way and it is Charlton, we all know the outcome!
  • Options
    With all this new money slushing around and with the bottom of the premiership being so close (exc Derby) if we get thru this window with getting Gray from Burnley for £1.5 and losing Reid for £4m then we will have done ok.

I would be more concerned if I was a Watford fan losing King than us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

working on the above 'sources' Stu, it's obviously not all kosher yet but it's looking more and more that way and it is Charlton, we all know the outcome!

A liitle harsh, we won't know much till Feb 1st and see what the Club say. It may be that Pards wants to sell to get a target in and then everything looks different.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    call me a cynic mart, i am a believer and an optimist when it comes to watching us on the pitch but behind the closed doors at the club my faith tends to wane! fair do's if Pards and the board have done some manouevering here and taken advantage of a player worth a lot, wanting to go, to stick some cash in the bank and stick some on a viable replacement but i just can't see it.
  • Options
    me neither!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]call me a cynic mart, i am a believer and an optimist when it comes to watching us on the pitch but behind the closed doors at the club my faith tends to wane! fair do's if Pards and the board have done some manouevering here and taken advantage of a player worth a lot, wanting to go, to stick some cash in the bank and stick some on a viable replacement but i just can't see it.

That's as about a cynical a post as I've ever read, sorry Ross, but it is
  • Options
    Disappointed that it sounds like he wants to go - and especially to a club we could be swapping places with in a few months - but £4m would be hard to turn down for someone with his injury record.
    It also just goes to show that a footballer's word is worth about as much as signing a five-year contract, like Parker did.

Having said that, if Bolton are preparing to pay nearly £5m to Villa for a reserve centre back (Cahill), then perhaps we should try to squeeze a bit more out of their relegation rivals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bit too far mate

come on compared to some of the bile knocking around here about affairs this season that is just an honest and rueful admission that I think we've been caught a bit short again, believe me I'd love there to be a saving grace, I really would!
  • Options
    and why the shock, we're at the end of food chain where deals are done late in the day, and where silly money gets thrown around by clubs like us looking to either suceed or avoid failure. If and it's a IF, we've accepted £4m for Reid, then good, it's a fantastic bit of business, top of the market for a player who has given us less the a season worth of football, and we make a profit.

He's a good player, but we're playing good football without him, and if his ambition is to play in a struggling Premier League side, compared to a Championship promotion chancing team, then let Andy do that
  • Options
    Look guy's, I don't want us to sell Reid unless we get in at least one quality replacement but I don't sit on the Board, with the knowledge of how good or bad things are financially, how many more staff will have to go, what effect the credit crunch is having on the clubs borrowings, how to balance the opportunity costs of promotion/success against the risks of failure.

There is no guarantee of success even if we keep Reid, who as we know has been out of the team which, in recent games, looks better balanced and more potent. Having to weigh all this up is difficult and also not p*ss the manager off by selling the best player off.

Hopefully Pards and Murray/The Board have a fairly decent frank and open relationship so that each knows what the others limitations are. That way they will make the best of a difficult decision. I for one am not going to pillory them just because a Prem club has come in and offered top dosh at the last minute which makes it difficult to refuse, especially if the players preference is to go. Pards generally seems pretty pro-active and I'm sure he will have potential players lined up. Whether it is too late to land them is about to be played out.
  • Options
    Rothers I wish i had your pragmatic attitude, maybe you've been around long enough to take a cooler head (no offence intended but you know you've got a few more years on me)

but at the moment, for an eager beaver like myself ;-)
    staring this in the face is a kick in the teeth, particularly as I am deeply concerned on the psychological impact it could have on and off the field. in the last few games everything is coming together, from the stands down to the players and if this sets us back even for a couple of weeks, it could be those few points that keep us in this dogfight.
  • Options
    I suppose from his perspective there is a better chance that Sunderland will be a Premiership side next season, than Charlton will be. In addition £4m is a decent fee for him - I wouldn't be too downhearted. I know it's too late really to buy an alternative, although I wouldn't be suprised if we have already lined up a loan deal on the back of this.
  • Options
    I really don't see why people are getting upset about this, I guess it is down to show biz/gossip life styles..... There is no way Reid is anything other than a bit player for us last season, he has been abit more influential this but it is hardly like he was destroying teams single handed ly. ZZ is more effective, Holland is at the moment a better player. If he plays left wing he is slow and drifts into the centre, 4 million for a good but limited lower division player is great money.
  • Options
    agree with pickwick. Losing him will be no great loss but £4m would be a big gain. it is a no brainer.. ..
  • Options
    to be honest, now we've got ourselves a 'team' and inter-changeable squad players, i'm not sure we really want reidy coming in and running the show again...he's a great player but when he's on the pitch the gameplan runs around him...what we've seen in the last few games is a team working for each other, not ten men fitting around one man calling the shots...if he wants to go, take the money...if he wants to stay then pards has got to work out how he's going to fit him in without losing what we've got at the moment...
  • Options
    I don't want to see him leave in this window, but as many have pointed out, getting £4m and chopping £20k+ a week off the wage bill in the process, isn't the worst bit of business for a talented but injury prone player.
  • Options
    Take the 4million, its very good money. It would be great for Reid to stay but come the end of the season whichever league we may or may not be in this will remain top value for him (still unproven/plus indifferent injury history).

Hopefully the board have something lined up should this deal go through. Yet again we are playing a dangerous game going right to the wire on deadline day.