Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I feel a bit sorry for David Beckham being left out

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
www.bbc.co.uk/sport

That's harsh Mr Capello...very harsh

Comments

• way to get the fans onside Fabio!
  • Correct decision - you don't select players for your country on the basis that they want to round up their no. of caps.
    That would have been soft.
  • If Beckham wants to go swanning about in Brazil, then he plays the penalty.

Forza Fabio
  • He is deserving of a place in the squad - irrespective of any sentiment involved!
  • With ages to go until a "proper" match, for me the only reason for him to be included is as an influence around the place.

Great player, had his international day, we move on.
  • On what basis does he deserve a place? recent form? or teary eyed sentimentality?
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Correct decision - you don't select players for your country on the basis that they want to round up their no. of caps.
    That would have been soft.
    What about his ability that he has? Still one of our best players on his recent England performances, I have no doubt about that.
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]If Beckham wants to go swanning about in Brazil, then he plays the penalty.

Forza Fabio
    I'd rather he go swanning about in Brazil and behaving himself than going out on the lash in a London club, sleeping with a blond bird and having your name splattered across the red tops for the wrong reasons, refusing to play for your country in a tournament...
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]On what basis does he deserve a place? recent form? or teary eyed sentimentality?
    Will Owen be in the squad? Will Robinson?

There are a number of players who won't be in form and it's not his fault the season has finished in MLS. He has trained hard with Arsenal which shows a commitment that if some other of our so called stars had we may have had a summer to look forward to.
  • He hasn't played a game for 5 months, he can't expect to just walk into the side or squad, he had offers to stay in Europe and he turned them down.

As for Robinson, I'll bet he won't be in the squad, and Owen is at least playing at the moment
  • I'm hoping this is the first sign that Capello will only pick players in form and playing regularly... I guess we'll find out shortly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fecking bollox i reckon the dropping of becks was y we didnt qualify for the tournament
  • Why should he play, he cannot possibly be match fit for international level. Capello made the right footballing decision and did not pander to sentiment.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Fecking bollox i reckon the dropping of becks was y we didnt qualify for the tournament

Wouldn't have helped, but will he be that influencial in the future?

That's what Capello will be interested in
  • Football revolves around sentiment, and I think there is room for a bit more here. Second half sub .........
  • Capello needed to make a stand and show he will not let player power or the press influence him.

I am sure Beckham will still get his 100th cap later in the year but Capello had to make a point at this stage - he, and only he, is in charge.
  • It's time honoured tradition. New manager, new broom.

Remember the furore when Bobby Robson's first decision as England manager was to axe Kevin Keegan?
    Keegan was legendary at the time and took it badly.

Bryan Robson had the same treatment in later years.

Now if I was in Beckham's boots, I would feel choked.
    He might be crying all the way to the bank, but he's always loved his football - and his dream of 100 caps has driven him on when others might have slacked off or quit before their time.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Football revolves around sentiment, and I think there is room for a bit more here. Second half sub .........

same here.

Like him or loathe him, has been an iconic figure for English football and the FA, and former captain. Its not a competitive fixture, and friendlies are normally a farce anyway. We're not talking about bringing on a 70-year old with one leg here.

Last ten mins for him to clap the fans, them to clap him wouldn't do any harm at all, and then write him off and move on to the new era.
  • Win the game, bring him on as a sub. Huge chear etc from crowd. Job done.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Capello needed to make a stand and show he will not let player power or the press influence him.
    Like McLaren did when he dropped Beckham...
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Why should he play, he cannot possibly be match fit for international level. Capello made the right footballing decision and did not pander to sentiment.

International football isn't played at the same temp as premiership/club football so being match fit isn't so much of a problem. Whether he's match sharp enough to cross the ball/put in accurate corners etc is another matter.

Beckham has been one of the few England players to wear the shirt with pride over the last few seasons, when too many England players have gone through the motions, and therefore I think he is deserving of a 100th cap in what will be a friendly and therefore nothing more than a kick-around in the park. The result of the match won't matter, there'll be mass substitutions and were it not for this being Capello's first match it would slip well under the radar and be quickly forgotten. Before the match it'll be the usual story - a succession of players who do get picked will tweak nasal hairs or whatever and have to pull out of the squad as a precaution before making stunning recoveries in time to play for their clubs at the weekend so why not select him and be done with it?

Give his 100th cap and make a big show of it - hopefully he'll play a blinder and get Capello's reign off to a good start.

Sadly the English FA has scored another PR own goal. This looks vindictive and unnecessary by them.
  • Sponsored links:

• thats what you get when you hire a soddin eye tie who cant no out about englise footie, and, what afka said.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sadly the English FA has scored another PR own goal. This looks vindictive and unnecessary by them.
    On the contrary, it looks like they've let the manager make his own decision...how refreshing!
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sadly the English FA has scored another PR own goal. This looks vindictive and unnecessary by them.
    On the contrary, it looks like they've let the manager make his own decision...how refreshing!

yup!
  • would have added a few k to the gate though.

Bet THE fa FUMING.

I make Fabio right though
  • Big PR own goal I reckon......he deserves his 100th cap and this game was the perfect opportunity to give it to him.

Whoever plays in his place had better have a blinder or Fabio won't be Mr Popular..
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sadly the English FA has scored another PR own goal. This looks vindictive and unnecessary by them.

Which is exactly what they let McClaren do - his first act was to drop Beckham, and Sven when he chose to take Theo Walcott to the last WC. Also Fabio himself has some form for dropping Beckham - at Madrid he said he'd "never play for him again", only to be recalled a month or so later when the results without Beckham weren't going Madrid's way.

This is going to be a nothing match, forgotten in five minutes, the sensible thing would be to give him his 100th cap and if the FA have their marketing heads on they can make a big deal of a nothing game.
  • If Beckham shows form for LA Galaxy, then he'll be back in the squad, as Cappello has shown, he's not stupid and knows when to pick a player when he's wrong.

But Beckham hasn't played a game since the Croatia match, people like Bentley, Wright-Philips and Young have been playing well, and deserve the chance to show in a friendly.
  • I hope Owen, Crouch, D Bent and Defoe are not in the squad then because they are hardly playing regularly or ripping up trees
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I hope Owen, Crouch, D Bent and Defoe are not in the squad then because they are hardly playing regularly or ripping up trees

At least in Owen, Crouch and Defoe's case they've played a game in the last 5 months