Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I feel a bit sorry for David Beckham being left out

2»

Comments

• Options
    Beckham still has more talent in his little toe than Freak and Judas have in their entire bodies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Beckham still has more talent in his little toe than Freak and Judas have in their entire bodies.

Beckham ain't a striker, so it's not a issue up top, and people like Agbonlahor will be involved in this squad.

Bentley, SWP and Young should be ahead on form
  • Options
    Bently shouldnt be allowed anywhere near an England shirt, ever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Football revolves around sentiment, and I think there is room for a bit more here. Second half sub .........

same here.

Like him or loathe him, has been an iconic figure for English football and the FA, and former captain. Its not a competitive fixture, and friendlies are normally a farce anyway. We're not talking about bringing on a 70-year old with one leg here.

Last ten mins for him to clap the fans, them to clap him wouldn't do any harm at all, and then write him off and move on to the new era.

I make the two big fellas right here.

We haven't got a serious game to play for ages now so why not give the fella his 100th cap in front of the Wembley crowd and let him g out in style - if out he is going.

Is there room for sentiment in football? Of course, why not? It would be nice for the fans to have the opportunity to acknowledge and thank our greatest player over the last 10 years or so for one last time when the result doesn't really matter. Massive PR own goal for me and it makes the manager look like a bit of a spiteful prick from the off. McLaren tried the same thing - and look what happened there.
  • Options
    I like what Capello has done here, he's told Beckham, that if he performs when the MLS starts again, he'll be involved, and I don't think Beckham can complain.

Capello hasn't been as stupid as McClaren to say the door is closed
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i agree,at least he has given him a chance by saying "play n youll get picked".Just down to match fitness.
  • Options
    But why NOT play him or at least include him in the squad??? He han't seen any of the players play up close first hand - at least not recently - so who's to say that Beckham is any better or worst prepared than anyone else. 10 minutes at the end of a totally meaningless friendly doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things - but would be a fantastic gesture.

We can't mona that football is out of touch with the "real world" if we then discard "real world" values like respect, recognition yes, sentiment. Sad really - just can't see a reason why not.
  • Options
    But he also needs to look at the likes of Bentley, SWP and Ashley Young in a friendly, and these guys are match fit, and ready.

Beckham will get his 100th cap, but he'll just have to wait for a couple of months
  • Options
    i agree.Once he is playing he will get picked.
  • Options
    I'm talking 10 or 15 minutes at the end. Not too much to ask is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll get it, but sometime in May at Wembley
  • Options
    you have to deserve a cap and earn it,just cos he is on 99 caps and is married to a spice girl dont mean he should get picked.
  • Options
    Mystic Rothko has spoken! I feel much better and will sleep easy tonight now you've told me that fact.

Night night.
  • Options
    Fair play to Beckham, i think he is a great bloke, he admits it may have been unfair to be called up:

Beckham - omitted for Wednesday's game with Switzerland - told Sky Sports: "It's always disappointing when you're not included in an England squad.

"I haven't played since December so to be called up was probably unfair.
    I half expected it because I know what Fabio Capello is like as a manager," he added.

"If he thinks you're not fit and ready to play then you won't be in the team. I totally respect that and totally understand that.

There are a lot of Premiership players who have played 15 games in the last two months and I haven't played a game since December.

I'd done everything I could to make myself available, I worked hard for a month with Arsenal," insisted Beckham.

I did go to Sierra Leone and Brazil but those trips were only four days long and for the rest of the month I was training very hard.

"It's simply down to not playing any games, the manager explained that, and I wish him and the rest of the players good luck for the first game.

I think he's a great appointment and he's going to be good for the English game."
  • Options
    Beckham chose to go to LA for commercial reasons not football.

If he does well he will get picked.

It will keep other players on their toes knowing he could come into the squad.

And if he does come into a squad for a proper game then the impact may be all the greater for the 100th cap.

So I think its the right decision at this time.
  • Options
    Totally wrong decision, give him 100th cap at the end of the game for 20 mins and then move on. Now every time the squad is coming up we'll have weeks of will he, won't he be picked. Capello has made a rod for his own back, he'll be constantly badgered about it and it'll consume everyones thoughts. Should have done it and drawn a line under it.
  • Options
    Earn the cap on what your doing now, not what you were doing in the past