Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

M25 SPEED CAMERAS

13»

Comments

• Options
    Some of you must hit the accelerator hard. I've had one ticket for speeding in my life (57 in a 50 zone) but I actually 'speed' quite regularly. Unless I am batting well above my average in luck, I think most of you whinging must do about 20mph over the limit for about 90% of the time.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Rizzo said:

Cameras are not there for making money, they are used to make the roads safer.

In 2000, according to Home Office figures, just under 600,000 motorists were caught speeding by cameras in England and Wales. In 2007 that figure had shot up to 1.8 million, which, at £60 a pop, represented an annual income of more than £100 million.

I'd say making money is at least partially a motivation!

Its just a stealth tax, no more no less, its naive to think anything else. The government don't give a toss if we all crash n burn, if they did then limiters would be fitted to all cars.
    With all the camera warnings before the camera sites, if a camera takes one picture then its reason for being there is not working.
    OK then, its a stealth tax, one that I and most of the population have never paid.
    You need to start putting your foot down .
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Currently using J5-J7 for a job I'm doing in Horsham and have noticed the cameras flashing drivers coming towards me (on the opposite carriageway obviously....!). There were no restrictions in place in either direction at the time.
    Does anyone know someone who has received a ticket from one of these cameras in the new 4 lane section between J5 and J7 when there is no restriction displayed?
  • Options
    I've got no strong issue with 70, even though it is archaic and experts are calling for it to be raised to 80. My beef is with those stupid 'smart' motorways where the speed limit is set by some jobsworth and enforced by gantry speed cameras. Sometimes they're stuck on 40, 50 or 60 even though the roads are clear, conditions are fine and there's little congestion. My guess is an accident happened or there was a bit of congestion, Percy Public Sector panics because he is an unqualified goon and switches the gantry speed limit to 50, then pisses off for a 2 hour pleasure wank over a copy of Hello while a 12 mile stretch of motorway grinds to a slowdown.
  • Options
    Noticed those, no road markings that I could see, thought the variable cameras only worked when a restriction was in place, although seem to recall they work over a top end limit, any real info on this much appreciated.
  • Options
    Yes, my pillion counted 23 drivers texting on their mobiles on a run along the M4 into London.
    In just over an hour.
    And 2 truck drivers watching TV.
    More dangerous than speeding?
    I'm sure there has been research on this.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    IGNORE THAT! It is ancient history and dates back to unsigned NIPs in 2003 and a certain footballer named Dwight Yorke, and another motorist, Mawdesley to name but a few.

The loophole was closed when a judge ruled this: Mawdesley v Chief Constable of Cheshire (2003)

"I am satisfied that if it is properly to be inferred from the evidence before the court that an unsigned Section 172 form was made by the Defendant, it is admissible in evidence as a confession."

Without getting too technical, if it can't be admitted by means of the normal route [s12(1)(a) RTOA 1988] then it goes in as a confession.

Nice try though!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just change your number plates, if you see a car the same as yours note down the number plate and change yours to that one.....easy...... I have a clean license and get to work very fast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Just change your number plates, if you see a car the same as yours note down the number plate and change yours to that one.....easy...... I have a clean license and get to work very fast.

Again, nice try but that loophole got closed as well. These days the law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted in order to get replacement number plates.

(Unless you want to use this Rep of Ireland based firm of course but I didn't tell you that ;-) fancyplates.com/)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

Again, nice try but that loophole got closed as well. These days the law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted in order to get replacement number plates.

(Unless you want to use this Rep of Ireland based firm of course but I didn't tell you that ;-) fancyplates.com/)
    Plenty of places online and a lot of shops will still make them.....
    On a serious note going back a couple of years ago (because of the congestion charge) my mate had his plates made with two letters transposed. Never got nicked.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Saga Lout said:
    IGNORE THAT! It is ancient history and dates back to unsigned NIPs in 2003 and a certain footballer named Dwight Yorke, and another motorist, Mawdesley to name but a few.

The loophole was closed when a judge ruled this: Mawdesley v Chief Constable of Cheshire (2003)

"I am satisfied that if it is properly to be inferred from the evidence before the court that an unsigned Section 172 form was made by the Defendant, it is admissible in evidence as a confession."

Without getting too technical, if it can't be admitted by means of the normal route [s12(1)(a) RTOA 1988] then it goes in as a confession.

Nice try though!
    Ah - didn't realise this was an old article. Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    I dove a company car for about six months before I realised the front and rear plates had different numbers - two numbers were swapped round.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Complete waste of tax money and does not prevent speeding!

You have a massive stretch of road with a few speed cameras on the A2 but what I find amusing is the amount of brake lights that flash up just before you drive past a camera. Once they go past they speed up again. What I even find more bizzare is on some roads the speed cameras are very close to the end of the road so of course people slow down by then, not much logic by the council.

What I find ridiculous is on some dual carridgeways you should only do 40 miles maximum but on on many rural roads you can do 60. I live on a small country road and I hate driving on it because of speeders and bad driving from other people.

I personally think more accidents are caused by bad driving than speed. Reguarly, I see people on mobile phones, middle laners on the motorway, cutting corners and not keeping to their side on the roundabout. I would rather see people speed and drive properly than going slow and driving ridiculously bad. I am sure accidents will be prevented if people know how to drive properly.

• Options
    On a speed awareness course I went on once (ahem) the reason for that is something about jurisdiction, so you find a 30 sign on the start of a city limit, outside of that the national limit (60) applies. Does seem daft I agree
  • Options
    There's been average speed cameras on the A13 for a while now. If there's any stats available from that it would show whether there's been any change in the numbers of accidents, congestion and whether anything can be particularly highlighted around motorbikes. It's pretty comparable to the A2 I reckon, no cameras from the M25 until Dagenham, then average speed check of mostly 50 (goes down to 40 briefly in Barking) until just before the Blackwall tunnel. The last few times I've been on it, admittedly not at rush hour, traffic has been pretty steady as well.
  • Options
    Razil's point about jurisdiction is good as well, the roads into London usually go down to 50 at about the point they enter the Greater London Authority area. Aside from accident prevention, I think some of the GLA's motivation is about air quality as the faster you go the more fumes you emit.
  • Options
    Well if the GLA let us drive a bit faster, we would pollute their area area for a shorter period of time....
  • Options
    Stone said:

Currently using J5-J7 for a job I'm doing in Horsham and have noticed the cameras flashing drivers coming towards me (on the opposite carriageway obviously....!). There were no restrictions in place in either direction at the time.
    Does anyone know someone who has received a ticket from one of these cameras in the new 4 lane section between J5 and J7 when there is no restriction displayed?

Would like to know this also.
    Got flashed going in both directions tonight. To and from the game. Fingers crossed they are not working or Avis might not be too happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got flashed on the way home too. I was doing 91mind, so if they do Nick me it's a fair cop :-(
  • Options
    You beat my anti-clockwise speed of 88 but was going a steady 95 on the clockwise route.
  • Options
    I know someone who got a ticket between J5-J7 gantry on a clear road with no restrictions at 4.30am going to Heathrow at 87mph.

Yes that's fast but if it's clear, and a 3-4 lane road so realistically you can correct the majority of incidents, I don't see the danger. Neither could he. Furious about it, but then technically he was in the wrong before anyone tells the virtues of driving at the speed limit.

So sorry Colin, but on the bright side, 6 points would put you 5th in the Championship right now ;)