Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew sticks to Jimmy Seed stance

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2034333.0.pardew_sticks_to_jimmy_seed_stance.php

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Pards is great !!! He sticks by his guns and speaks his mind. The guy is a great manager. There's something positive for you Lookout lol.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Pards is great !!! He sticks by his guns and speaks his mind. The guy is a great manager. There's something positive for you Lookout lol.
    Not sure how great it is when you piss off the Chief Exec and Operations Director etc as that article makes it seem like there is a split within the camp. You can guarantee that if we were in the Prem this story would be picked up on as a "Pards has massive fallout with Varney". Not very united front really is it?

I do agree with his view on this though...
  • Options
    I reckon Pards fell out with the directors over the Andy Reid sale and is now finding a way to get his own back.
  • Options
    Maybe we sould as fans show the board that we agree with him. A petition or something?
  • Options
    Suggested something along those lines Al, when Pards released the first statement....How about a Poll AFKA?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hardly a massive fallout just his views on the subject. The guy simple wants us to do well. Which I think is great because he is poistive.

What worries me about is when he gets us up and gets us near Europe what are the board going to then ?
  • Options
    He is positive pete, totally agree and yes, he does want us and himself to do well. Just seems a bit naive to talk about something pretty major in the press before speaking to those in the club.

Causes grief for PV and ME who are going to be inundated with petitions. ;-)
  • Options
    I see where your coming from WSS but its not that major diagreement. Blimey if Reg and co are offended by Pards stance on this then they should get a thicker skin.
  • Options
    True Pete, god knows how they react with him behind close doors, it may just be banter!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]I see where your coming from WSS but its not that major diagreement. Blimey if Reg and co are offended by Pards stance on this then they should get a thicker skin.

I Hardly think they are Offended, but common sense would seem to indicate you would speak to the club first before talking to people outside of it No ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on Murray give us that end as well

Who here would move?

I know its louder there but i have been on the Covered end since late 70's as a kid, would seem weird moving
  • Options
    I look forward to Friday's South London Press for Reg's reaction ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I look forward to Friday's South London Press for Reg's reaction ;-)

It would certainly be much better if he spoke to the Charlton paper here in Petts Wood instead of the Millwall one in Streatham. Come on Peter - pick up the phone.
  • Options
    I suppose you are naturally biaised NS, but from a neutral point of view, the Charlton, and indeed sports coverage in the NS has historically been very poor, and the worst output from all the freebies.

The KM provide by far the best Charlton coverage, though they may have a larger budget. Then it is the Bexley Times, then a toss up between the NS and SLP.

NS is a decent freebie bearing in mind it has a huge catchment area, covers all the general news well and has a good property supplement. But its sports coverage has always been well down the list of priorities. That's not knocking you, its been that way for 15-20 years.
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree with you to a certain point because there has been a strong Crystal Palace bias here for a while which I hope has been redressed since I arrived. All the other papers you mentioned may well have decent coverage in terms of the pages they produce, but none of them are anywhere near us in terms of breaking stories online. For example, the KM decided to drop the bombshell Chris Dickson was out for the season last Monday on their website - five days after both we and the SLP had.
    The Bexley Times' website is a complete joke (a bit like the news section of the paper in my opinion), so the first you heard anything from them about the Jimmy Seed story was last Thursday, three days after we broke the story on our website.
  • Options
    NS, if you are actively seeking to boost and improve your Charlton and sports in general content then that is both great news to us supporters, and in the wider terms will improve the structure of the paper.

As for the scalp boasting, slagging others etc, it may well be best advised to make sure you are walking properly before boasting of your runs.

Charlton as a club do an amazing job in controlling issues and news relating to their club. Probably more than any other club I can think of. Whether that is a good thing or not is debatable, but it is very rare that the dozen or so media or internet outlets that chase the news angle actually offer anything that hasn’t been reworked from something published on the official site or derived from a club press conference, or from a forum such as this.
  • Options
    You could help yourself big time here NS and start a petition going to move the away supporters. And everyone else for now go to the story above and leave a comment. Let them know we agree with Pards.
  • Options
    This is true about the access thing - it is difficult in this day and age with all football clubs a lot more controlling in terms of access than say, 10 years ago.

As for scalp boasting and slagging of others - replace with banter. We do all actually get on quite well as rivals and as you say, are essentially dependent on gaining stories from the same press conferences.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]You could help yourself big time here NS and start a petition going to move the away supporters. And everyone else for now go to the story above and leave a comment. Let them know we agree with Pards.[/quote]

If you want a petition, it is something I'm willing to consider. My only reservation is that the club are adamant nothing is going to change in the near future, at least until the redevelopment of the ground gets underway and I suspect that will not start until Charlton are back in the Premiership.

Convince me it will work and I'll take the idea to the editor here.
  • Options
    The Mercury at the time won many friends by helping us get back to the valley and was thinking you could boost your ratings as well as helping us. Everyones happy! ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]The Mercury at the time won many friends by helping us get back to the valley and was thinking you could boost your ratings as well as helping us. Everyones happy! ;o)[/quote]

Like I say mate, I will discuss it tomorrow. I did ask Pards if he would support any supporters campaign on this and he was adamant he would.
  • Options
    I'm afraid this idea is a load of nonsense and not just because of the practical issues. The major flaw in my view is that Charlton fans will not want to sit in the Jimmy Seed Stand because the facilities and the view are inferior. Even if the police agreed to move away fans - which I think is unlikely from experience of sitting on the safety committee - it would only be feasible for poorly supported opposition and the outcome would be a) disgruntled season ticket holders in other stand and b) a mass of empty seats behind the south goal. Large numbers of people complain and send back their season tickets whenever away fans extend into the east because of cup rules - just imagine what would happen if they were forcibly removed on a permanent basis. You are also looking at £100,000 in match by match segregation costs over a season, never mind the physical changes required.

Wearing my former sports editor's hat, which I keep in a cupboard for emergencies, I'd advise that a petition would be a very bad idea because everyone, including Pardew, is advocating other people sitting in the Jimmy Seed Stand. When they sign up to sit there themselves, every match, I'll be more impressed. Fans aren't extras to be moved around regardless of their own preference. Who is going to move from the Upper North to sit behind a post at the other end? Very few.

On the Shopper itself, I think people would be inclined to take it more seriously if it had more than one sports page. Websites are important, but the club has no interest in supporting what are essentially competing media. The point about newspapers is that they reach people who don't necessarily attend matches or see the official website. And you wouldn't, with respect, look at any of the local media groups' websites as your primary source of news about the club, because none of them have sufficient resources behnd them.

I like the enthusiasm being expressed, but the reason the SLP gets stories is because they have a proper sports desk staffed by people who ring up and ask the appropriate questions. That relationship is there for anyone who takes the time and trouble to establish it, but over the years only the SLP/Mercury and more recently the KM have done so. The KT has intermittently, the Shopper almost never. It's no good blaming the club for that!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    Great post Airman - would love to see both ends packed with CAFC fans but we are effectively looking for 3,000 season ticket holders to move or have a superb walk up to justify it.

One possible, costly option is that you do cheap season tickets in the South Stand to get people in there. Not sure the finance people would like that though considering how cheap our ST's are already.
  • Options
    where would these away fans sit if they were outed by home fans?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]where would these away fans sit if they were outed by home fans?
    Where they're told!
  • Options
    As stated in Friday's programme, we don't actually have to accommodate 3,400 visiting supporters - only 2,000. But there are significant financial implications to that which can't just be wished away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]where would these away fans sit if they were outed by home fans?
    Where they're told!

I love the way people are getting carried away! they'd take up half the west or east stands, we'd have to leave a block empty for segregation.... crap idea, wait till we've got the south east corner.

our away end is described as one of the worst, so why would people want to sit there is beyond me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    Where they're told!

I love the way people are getting carried away! they'd take up half the west or east stands, we'd have to leave a block empty for segregation.... crap idea, wait till we've got the south east corner.

our away end is described as one of the worst, so why would people want to sit there is beyond me!

If we adopt the Newcastle approach somewhere at the back of the block of flats will do.
  • Options
    NS

Could you start by asking Muzza to fix the accoustics in the North as they dont seem to travel as well as the south,

Then he could see what atmosphere we create and I bet you he would be impressed and this could start to influence him on moving us behind both goals.

after sitting behind him for a few games this season even when we are singing to anyone in the west it really does sound bad

But before we all get to caught up in the Jimmy seed bandwagon, take note that the toilets are shocking the beer and food totally inadequate for a season ticket holder

in principle i support this but i honestly thnk we should be pushing to make our end louder first as i would have thought it would cost a bit to do
  • Options
    Pards is just voicing a football managers viewpoint. I doubt there has been a falling out behind the scenes. His job is to win as many games as possible and if he feels there is an advantage to re-organising the ground then why not say it.

It's hard to see how it could work without major work at the ground. It's a case of great idea, but impractical financially at present.