Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

pardew's slight(truth) on our away following

from saturdays matchday program
'we had a smattering of around 350 fans at Hillsborough, and i can fully understand that Sheffield on a Tuesday night is not the easiest place to visit, taking work and families into account. But entering this run-in, we are going to need more fans on the road.'

Pards then goes on to mention how attractive blackpool is in hoping to encourage more fans to travel....
the thing is blackpool's a new ground for most so we'll have decent numbers up there i'd be more concerned about how many we bring to sheff utd and burnley...
i don't go to many away games now due to work/family and playing vets footy on most saturdays but for my part i'm gonna go to barnsley away cos i think it's where we'll confirm automatic promotion(i'm a glory boy) ;-)
i really do think like pards we need to improve our away support in numbers at least ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Agreed but what can the club really do to sort it out?

Can't force people to go. In all honesty i think places like this website can help a lot. I would not have gone to a lot of games this season if i had not met a lot of people on the site.

The proposed coach travel, un restricted by the club is also a great idea which can only help (fingers crossed it will get a few more going to Ipswich who were undecided).

Group hug anyone?
  • Options
    Yeah we do need to but it is hard

Me and Ging both have family's

He often has to work Saturdays

I have 3 girls who all Irish dance and are at a high level so money and time is pumped into that big time.

So away games are really a last thought for me even though i love going away as its a great day out good banter and teh all round atmosphere is better.

So that why most of my away days are eiether London or counties near London we its cheaper to travel to and quicker to get home
  • Options
    Most of Pards programme notes has had a sly dig at our away support this season.

Good on him I say, the support at Sheffield was dreadful last week.
  • Options
    saying what i said i know my sistuation but with 17,500 season tickets holders, surely they are not all in the same boat as me, as well as the few thousand who buy on the day.

So overal it is pretty poor just wish i could do my bit and go more often
  • Options
    make him right though, then come the local stroke bigger games people are moaning they can't get tickets our away support is lame
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Most of Pards programme notes has had a sly dig at our away support this season.

Good on him I say, the support at Sheffield was dreadful last week.
    I can imagine it was but truth be told i wanted to do this game and Cardiff away and Bristol away but i can't. its not that i don't have the money, or care if anybody goes with me or i can't be bothered.

Some of these midweek night games (like Burnley coming up) result in me having to take a half day off work and driving up and driving home getting back at ridiculous o clock or getting a train and 99% of the time spending the night in the place of the game which means another half day off work at the minimum.

I admire those who do it but i do put a few things in front of Charlton including taking my time off to go on holiday with the girlfriend, spending time with my family etc.

If there was an easy way to get up to these places leaving at 6.30 at night and getting home by say 12.30 i'd do them all!
  • Options
    Perhaps it would help if Mr Pardew could get the team to win a few away matches, or even a few more home ones.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Perhaps it would help if Mr Pardew could get the team to win a few away matches, or even a few more home ones.[/quote. Our away form has only recently dipped what about in the early part of the season when the away form was better than the home form
  • Options
    To get home supporters to go to away matches they must first see the team winning ( at home) then it will enthuse them to spend the time and the money of going to away matches. If a supporter sees the team loosing at home it doesn't matter what happens away as they haven't personally witnessed it - we react what we know & see - so winning at home is the first step to obtaining good away support.

See you at Blackpool!
  • Options
    I think its all a matter of proportion and statistics. If you look at most teams...lets just pick Plymouth for example..they bought up 1500 or so for a Tuesday night. I think a high proportion of those fans probably live in or around the home counties.....so they aren't bussing up for 5-6 hours, more like 2 hours at the outside. As for us...how many Plymouth based fans or surrounding areas are we likely to have? 50 maybe.....and how about Burnley...how many fans would we have within lets say 50 miles of Burnley....not many. So I think its a bit unfair to say we are poorly supported away given the high proportion of London based fans of some of the far flung teams.

We had a good turn out on a wet Saturday night on a televised game at Watford. We took a healthy 12-1300 up to Scunthorpe, and I suspect we will sell out at Blackpool, and if we start putting this run together that we have all been talking about, the support away will grow in numbers. I know from experience, its very easy to get out of the habit of going to away games.....I can remember in the nineties, getting a bit burnt out seeing 37 games in a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Tel says, its easy to get out of the habit of it. In the prem, the thrill of paying a serious amount of money to largely see us lose lost its appeal pretty quickly.

And it really hasn't happened that Selhurst aside, the times when we do take better than average numbers away from home, the team fails.

On that basis, i'm expecting nothing from Saturday and then i won't be disappointed. I'm going for a nice booze and break, and if Charlton win it will be a mega bonus.
  • Options
    The same arguemet can go for clubs such as QPR and dare I say it palarse seem to have a better following where our lot are fair weather an interesting point is that we run valley express from numerous locations but when it comes to away games we don't pick up frm these points also should the club not look to tie up a spnsorship deal wth either a local company or one which backs the club to sponsor the away travel this would enable subsidisesd travel In return they could get exposure in the programme at home games with coverage on national basis by having there logo and editorial on the company in the away guide of the programme the club at the moment has a strong brand and it is down to the sales and marketing team of the club t build on it
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The only reason that coaches don't run to away games from a wider area is that there is insufficient demand from people who want to go.

For example, for most away matches we operate coaches from Canterbury and Maidstone, but for some matches we don't. The reason is insufficient bookings both at these outlying pick-ups and overall. On occasion we have put them on and then cancelled them - and we are not talking about failing to fill a coach, we are talking about two or three people booking in total outside the M25. On the other hand, we have successfully run coaches from the Sussex coast for particular matches when approached, so it really depends on the circumstances.

A lot of people, including me, have big reservations about travelling long distances by coach and train services are frequently inconvenient and expensive, but the main reason for few people travelling is that few people want to go (or are able to do so because of other commitments).

Incidentally, both Palace and QPR took less than us to Scunthorpe for Saturday fixtures, according to their programme.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What can we really do about it? Nothing as has been said... yeah I spose this site etc is as good as any.

Agree with all the reasons why people can't go, but the thing that gets me is the discrepancy in numbers between our Home and Away support. Looking at it like that it is embarrassing!
  • Options
    With everything, there is always some solution to improve things, and i'm sure you've thought of it before AR.

What's your initial thoughts, or do you believe that there is only so many times you can lead the horse to water ?
  • Options
    Personally I think even if the club provided free coaches to every away game there would be an initial improvement and you would pick up more U16s who have no money to travel at present but after a while there would be very little difference because cost is only part of the issue.
  • Options
    Hillsborough was bad... but wait for burnley... that will be a new low!

I can't even get there and back from Sheffield until 3am so what hope have others got?
  • Options
    I think anyone who earns as much as Pardew has got a right cheek digging out our away support. Some people pretty much spend all their spare pin money on days out following the club.
  • Options
    i personally think our away support is decent and is nowhere near as bad as other teams such as bolton, blackburn and fulham but i do wonder why it is that teams like QPR can quite easily fill 3000 tickets for southampton, when we didnt quite sell out.

however if you look at all of the saturday 3pm kick offs we have taken well over a 1000 to all of them: palace,wolves,leciester,southampton,norwich and scunthorpe.

i blame sky for all the dodgy kick off times personally
  • Options
    On a couple of my rare forays to away games this season, i've noticed that our Away support is growing/improving. There are so many more young faces 16-24 (christ listen to me i'm not even 31 yet!) than when i used to go to away games 2,5,10 years ago. Whether it's the post sellhurst generation coming through or cheaper away tickets I dunno.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    He;s got some front Pardew I give him that.

I don't do away games anymore purely from the point of view I just don't want to. I have travelled all over this country following us when we were shit - by that I mean when we were at Selhurst - I never missed a game for 4 maybe 5 years from 87 onwards - 1 becasue it was a piece of piss jumping on a train and going up north and cheap 2 i was single and had no kids.

Now I work enough hours as it is plus doing my knowledge, my choice i know, i want to see my kids at the weekend rather than travelling up and down the country at extortionate prices. I don't do coaches before anyone digs me out and if I did I would have an hours travel just to get to a pick up point from where I live.

I get 25 days holiday a year 2 weeks of which for summer holiday , half terms and a few emergencies and I don't have enoguh holiday to do the midweek aways. I am sure I am not alone in that.

So Mr Pardew DO ONE. - As others have said start getting the bloody team to win away from home and you might get a few more. Give fans the confidence that we might actually go to Sheff Weds and win and the fans might bother.
  • Options
    i do think he has a cheek complaining about the away support during midweek games, especially the ones up north. but there was a good effort shown at bristol and cardiff and on 3pm saturday ko's our away support is pretty good.

and as many have said, its improving, so be positive pards!praise the ones that went rather than dig at the ones that didnt!
  • Options
    Like WSS I would of done a lot more midweek aways if I could get away from work on the sly like I used to. (Don't tell the father in law Rothko!). As it is I have to account for my whereabouts too much now. Just out of interest what do the regulars do to get round this? Or is it annual leave aplenty?

Cost is a bit of a hold back for me being a single man with a fat arse mortage to pay and home to run but no more so than a lot of the demograph of 18-35 years olds (38 if you're Kets) that live in London. I think the underlying reason is not knowing enough Charlton fans to be honest as before I would drag plastics of other sides across the country who would be coming more for the day out than anything else.
  • Options
    perhaps Pards and the players could pay for some free coaches and tickets to one of the games! not many of the palyers or the coaching staff can say they have earned their salaries yet so they should give some back
  • Options
    perhaps he should get the team to stop underacheiving ,the teams up the top are fucking shit,stop passing the buck and get us on a run.
  • Options
    I'm surprised we got 350 people up there! Pretty good turn out for mid week

It's bloody expensive to get anywhere these days - most of us work a normal job so can't justify a day off or a half day to go to Sheffield. Not to mention the fact that I would not get home until 1am.

I earn an "above average" salary but still find it hard to justify £20 - 30 for the match, £40 or £50 in petrol, a programme, pint & pie(pies in my case) etc is another £10. You are looking at £100 for a nights "entertainment" in some armpit of the nation (that comment was aimed at Scunthorpe and Hull in particular)

Sorry Alan but we don't all have squillions in the bank and the ability to go all over the nation to watch our team - call us crap fans but that's a stone cold fact and before anyone accuses me of being a plastic I have been to Hull, Wolves, Scunthorpe, Coventry, Bristol City, Luton, Colchester away so far this season). Not to mention I live 60 miles from the Valley.

If the fans are not doing enough then maybe you could lay something on to make it easier for people to get to games....and maybe you could get the fans to appreciate the fans a bit more.

rant over - go about your business everyone
  • Options
    Sometimes it isn't the numbers that you take, but the noise that they make.

I'd rather have 500 people who sing, get behind the team and make themselves heard than 1,000 or 1,500 who are mostly quiet.
  • Options
    totally agree BFR , when you listen to the 17-18k of pompey fans at home their louder than most 40k+crowds
  • Options
    no mate that is not the point at all!I bet you norwich have taken more away to evey ground as us this season!We just have a shit away support which we need to improve in the latter part of this season!Get out there and cheer the boys on regardless of how were playing at home!Got some good ones coming up...blackpool, sheff united,burnley erm no maybe not burnley!
  • Options
    Pards is right to say it!We have been playing some great attacking football this season and the way this league goes is that you have more chance winning away from home as you do at home(as teams come to your place to defend a draw and maybe nick a winner, as we have seen a few times this season)We have got the potential to go on a run now and get a few good away results...helping that along is good away followings from now on in!