Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

where are they now

13»

Comments

• Options
    Saw Richie on his debut for Charlton at the Valley....stood chatting to his Mum after the game outside the old West stand, and when he appeared she introduced me to him....seemed like a really nice bloke and his Mum was lovely and so proud of him.
  • Options
    Bobby Goldthorpe. was there in The Covered End when he scored against Preston and we won 3 one , to get promoted.
    He is now a cleaning suppervisor, at a building where i was FM for a short while. Very nice guy. We did speak about that match a few times.
  • Options
    Here's a few from the 70's.

How about Cyril Davies & Dickie Plumb.

David Young (skipper of the 74-75 promotion side)

and Carl Harris, Wales international, ex Leeds flying winger?
  • Options
    Deitmar Bruck?
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited February 2008
    I used to always get Dick Tydman to pick me up in his mini cab about 10 years ago in medway, the lad was a ledge, used to let me off on a few fares, he loved talking about the playing days, I loved listening.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do you know what's occurred to me reading through this thread?

People on here meeting up with the old players are more or less telling the same story........ these ex-players loved playing - it was what they wanted to do most.

Thesedays, many players give the impression they've succumbed to the 'modern disease' - it's just a very well paid job,
    having to play is actually a bit of a nuisance - and maybe they can getter a better paid/easier job playing elsewhere.

And as for the dumb head fans, they're just a pain in the arse.

Ferrari's & baby Bentleys? It wasn't Dick Tydeman's world ............. he and his contempories just loved to play football.
  • Options
    You might be right oggy. I remember meeting Colin Powell and Alan Dugdale many years ago in their playing days and they chatted fof ages. Dont know if would still happen with todays players. oh and thanks bibble.
  • Options
    omar pouso?

not even that long ago went missing in his debut and was never seen again
  • Options
    I don't think we are really comparing like with like, in the 60, 70s and 80s Charlton were a pretty unambitious club and the core of a side would stay the same year in/year out. We've since moved up a level and though it might not seem that way we don't carry as many passengers as we used to, and are playing at a more competitive level where the players are under more pressure to perform, or get out. Look at the squad we have, players from around the British Isles, France, Portugal and further afield. In those days typically many of pur players were home grown.

Wages in that era weren't as great as they are now and most players would live in the community, rather than in private estates, or farmhouses as now. The temptation then was always to stay on for a testimonial before retiring a few seasons later with a nice tax free bonus to fall back on, again compare with now, where there is far more mobility. Speaking of testimonoials, when was the last time any of our players had a testimonial? Am I right in thinking it was Curbs as manager?

And of the current first XI, I think Fortune has been at the club the longest, then I suppose Sam, after that - maybe Holland and then Youga, and the latter has only been at the club three years and has scarcely any first team games under his belt. In the last few years it seems we've had revolving doors with dozens of players coming and going - for example not a single player signed by Dowie is still at the club, so is it any wonder that they don't form an attachment to either the club, the fans or the neighbourhood? They look at the club as their next home for a couple of seasons before moving on. I wonder how we would feel if we spent around ten-fifteen years moving house and town every three/four years, perhaps even internationally?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Lawrie Madden is a Sky Sports reporter every Saturday - usually doing Sheffield Wednesday games

Met him in the Crown pub in Blackheath Village a few seasons ago, really nice bloke and had a good chat about how s**t Curbishley's tactics were!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I don't think we are really comparing like with like, in the 60, 70s and 80s Charlton were a pretty unambitious club and the core of a side would stay the same year in/year out. We've since moved up a level and though it might not seem that way we don't carry as many passengers as we used to, and are playing at a more competitive level where the players are under more pressure to perform, or get out. Look at the squad we have, players from around the British Isles, France, Portugal and further afield. In those days typically many of pur players were home grown.

Wages in that era weren't as great as they are now and most players would live in the community, rather than in private estates, or farmhouses as now. The temptation then was always to stay on for a testimonial before retiring a few seasons later with a nice tax free bonus to fall back on, again compare with now, where there is far more mobility. Speaking of testimonoials, when was the last time any of our players had a testimonial? Am I right in thinking it was Curbs as manager?

And of the current first XI, I think Fortune has been at the club the longest, then I suppose Sam, after that - maybe Holland and then Youga, and the latter has only been at the club three years and has scarcely any first team games under his belt. In the last few years it seems we've had revolving doors with dozens of players coming and going - for example not a single player signed by Dowie is still at the club, so is it any wonder that they don't form an attachment to either the club, the fans or the neighbourhood? They look at the club as their next home for a couple of seasons before moving on. I wonder how we would feel if we spent around ten-fifteen years moving house and town every three/four years, perhaps even internationally?

Fair analysis, BFR - and some good points.

But it's the lack of enthusiasm some of these present day footballers show for actually playing football,
    that sticks in the throat.

The players of 20, 30 years ago loved playing - it was what they wanted to do most.
  • Options
    wasnt Stevie Brown`s one after Curbs . went off abit as i remember some Italian team
  • Options
    Jonny Robbo was after Browny and Rufus after him I think...
  • Options
    And SuperKev cheated himself out of his own testimonial.
    Jumped ship.

No loyalty these days, not even from home grown talent. :o)
  • Options
    Superkev, now there's a bloke who would give you the time of day and have a good old chat. Kish was another.

Back on topic. I lived in Horchurch before moving to Oz. When England won the world cup in 66, Martin Peters lived three doors along. Geoff Hurst live around the corner and his garden back on to Martin Peters. Both living in relatively small 3 bed semi's.
    As BFR said players back then lived in the community and mixed with ordinary people. Sadly now it seems that some of them have lost touch with reality. It all comes down to money.
  • Options
    Doesn't our old player, midfielder Alan Curbishley, still live in the community.
    He always walks to his cornershop on a Sunday morning to buy his paper.
  • Options
    What about Alan Dugdale? Wonder what he's up to now, and if he still has that amazing moustache?