Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool post match inquest

Comments

• Options
    At the risk of sounding like a deranged lunatic - I don't think either Dowie or Read would have done any worse this season with this lot!
    Pardew hasn't bought the right type of player for this division, fair enough he wants to play good football but you need a few solid players that don't take any prisoners.
    In fact I reckon Dowie would have at least built a team that would fight in this division.
    But he was a crap Prem manager and he had to go.
    I think Pardew will turn it around given half a chance, but I really feel this year is gonna be a write off, I just can't see us stringing a run together, we are too inconsistent.
    Theres no point getting rid of Pards, a new manager will need time to bed in and would prob want to change half the team again.
    But if he walked I wouldn't feel bad about it, infact I think I might almost cheer a bit - The thought of Parky as manager - Woo hoo!!! ;-)
  • Options
    Cafc-79 what do you mean mate if Pardew is given half a chance, he's had 14 months and we are going backwards by the week.

The man likes a style of play and a style of player unfortunately it is not working at the Valley, his style might suit one or two players but it has an adverse effect on others.

We need somebody in the stand instead of 3 men on the bench because they all seem to be missing the same thing better still Parkinson brings nothing to the club get rid and make Kinsella number two, he has been at the club longer than any of them and is Charlton through and through who will show a passion from the sidelines that hopefully will filter onto the pitch.
  • Options
    Sorry Reams, I'm not an advocate of Pards. My point was that I reckon he will sort it all out if he's still with us next season.
    I agree with you that he has had more than long enough to get his own players in. The majority of which are not up to the job, they are mostly average Championship players.
    I just feel we need to toughen up, but given that the transfer window has now closed thats not gonna happen now, so we have to grin and bear it until we can get some tough tackling ball winning players in our central midfield positions. Holland is doing ok but he's not getting any younger, if he was to get injured I think we would really in trouble, our midfield is a joke, they are all pansies!
  • Options
    I totally agree on the midfield issue, who is there when we need to get stuck into a team of cloggers?

4 wingers and 2 central players along with Semedo who is a defensive midfielder and I cannot believe that a man of Pardew's experience cannot see this let alone do anything about it.

We had a strong midfield at the start of the season and he still felt that he had to reinforce it by going after Mullins. Well there is no Mullins or Reid in the line up so in my book the midfield theory that he had has been shelved and we are paying the price.

we are weak in the middle you don't have to be at the game to see it but the 23,000 that are there do see it every other week and the only person who doesn't is Pardew yet he's the one that gets paid to do something about it.
  • Options
    Of course some of us are angry after that performance. We were outplayed and outfought all over the pitch by a team that wanted it more than us.

Taking the squad to Spain to prepare??? They should have gone to Aberdeen. At least some of them have now got nice tans...

Someone earlier said we'd had 14 months of entertainment from Pardew. I can think of many words to describe it, but that isn't one of them. I can't help but wonder if the reason he allegedly left West Ham makes it a bit difficult for him to earn the respect of the squad.
  • Options
    My god there is some negativity on here. The problem is one of expectation.

We are discrediting Blackpool who were better than us in every department on the day. I also dont think they were so poor when we beat them 4-1.

Of the so called top teams at Bloomfield Road they have drawn with Bristol City,Plymouth,Palace and Ipswich. They have yet to play WBA and Watford. Stoke won there 3-2.

So on a windswept bumpy pitch why did everybody expect us to turn up and stuff them. Cos we were in the Premiership for a few years!!

Blackpool reminded me of Charlton about 15 years ago. A club on the up, trying to rebuild their ground bit by bit and players giving 110%.

Football is unpredictable. Thank Goodness.
  • Options
    I agree with Bing and was going to post this before reading Bing's post.

We need to play 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 away.

He changed from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and then we started winning more at home and losing away. It seems bleedin obvious Pards at least give it a go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]So on a windswept bumpy pitch why did everybody expect us to turn up and stuff them. Cos we were in the Premiership for a few years!!

quality quote, best this year, nice one peanut man misser, i fully agree with that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]So on a windswept bumpy pitch why did everybody expect us to turn up and stuff them. Cos we were in the Premiership for a few years!!

quality quote, best this year, nice one peanut man misser, i fully agree with that

I can only speak for myself but Pards identified these two away games (Blackpool and Sheffield United) as must win whilst taking a swipe at our away support having previously moaned about away fans in the Jimmy seed and sneered at one of our dearest traditions, Red, Red, Robin.

Pards himself upped the ante on expectation levels that is firstly why I'm so p**d off with him secondly because I don't like my Club or it's traditions being ridiculed.
  • Options
    Im not up on Pards comments on Red Red Robin but on other matters I think he has tried to be fair and balanced in what he has said. Identifying Blackpool and Sheff Utd as must win games was I think in the context of auto promotion. And he was right.
    By saying what he did he was not raising the expectation just pointing out a fact. He said all along that Blackpool would be a tough fixture.

I think Sheff Utd will be just as tough.

Has he seriously 'ridiculed' this club. I dont think so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite] He said all along that Blackpool would be a tough fixture.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to prepare the team with that in mind.

The weather and the pitch were the same for both teams - they still managed to play some nice football. We were clueless.
  • Options
    I think perhaps your suggestion of a week in Aberdeen might have been better given the conditions.

I thought it was a classic.

When we played Blackpool at home it all came together and we won as I have said with a scoreline that I think flattered us. Yesterday was the reverse, lots of mistakes and incompetences. Everyones digging at the defence but if Andy Gray had put away the one on one early on who knows.

Everyones disappointed but some of the negativity has been overdone I feel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Im not up on Pards comments on Red Red Robin but on other matters I think he has tried to be fair and balanced in what he has said. Identifying Blackpool and Sheff Utd as must win games was I think in the context of auto promotion. And he was right.
    By saying what he did he was not raising the expectation just pointing out a fact. He said all along that Blackpool would be a tough fixture.

I think Sheff Utd will be just as tough.

Has he seriously 'ridiculed' this club. I dont think so.

You are right to be "a voice of reason" I normally am myself.

I think what I want from Pardew is a bit of "the buck stops with me" attitude Curbs used to show and the lack of that is what is annoying in the aftermath of a disappointing defeat.

The rest of the season starts here though and hopefully pride if nothing else might help them to get something against Sheffield United.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I think what I want from Pardew is a bit of "the buck stops with me" attitude Curbs used to show and the lack of that is what is annoying in the aftermath of a disappointing defeat.

Spot on Len, enough of the bullshit, accept he f*cked up, kick the players up the a*se and lets get back on track against the Blades.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what team lines up against Sheff Utd. I guess we are in for another bruising encounter.

Youga to come back in must be a cert.

I have been disappointed with Fortune (although he took his goal well). So I would go for Bougy if he was fit or Sodje.
    I would stick with Paddy and Halford.

ZZ looked knackered and Semedo maybe worth considering.

Cook is a flair player but not sure Bramall Lane is the best place for him to show his skills. But not sure Thomas is any more inspirational. Is Sam ill or injured?

Iwelumo has really looked what he is... a big lump.. so he must start at Bramall Lane.

And then there is Andy Gray. Really does need to get a goal pretty soon or we will be into MClown territory again.

God I am getting less optimistic as I type. So I am going to stop.

By the way I am not a big fan of Pardew as he seems too self assured for my liking. But I am not sure there is anybody else who is any better and after last year some stability is essential. Perhaps its time Richard Murray or Derek Chappell said something to stir us fans.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    The rest of the season starts here though and hopefully pride if nothing else might help them to get something against Sheffield United.

Three points against the pigs please (can I call them that??)
  • Options
    I was quite excited to find myself staying at the same hotel as the players...it didnt last long however, as I was less than impressed with their attitude. I think its fair to say that most of my postings are positive, so on this occasion I feel that this less than positive post is acceptable. The team gave me the impression of being big time Charlies, lots of sauntering around and when people tried to engage them in conversation they couldn't get away quick enough. Fair enough, for them its a job, for us its a passion. Pards didnt inspire me with his complete lack of personality, so how does he go about lifting a team who are underachieving. The usually professional Matt Holand promised a young girl at the ground he would come back to sign an autograph....then despite her waving and calling to him, he completely ignored her...poor form......who was Varney calling a C**t in the away crowd when he couldnt get the ball back quickly enough? And how many of the players came over to acknowledge us at the end of the game? a couple turned and waved and clapped from near the tunnel on the opposite side of the ground and Holland ventured as far as the centre circle..... Mrs Oz turned to me after we had spoken to Holland and Ambrose on the stairway in the hotel and said she thought they acted like Primma Donna's...she was right. Pards criticised us for our away support...1700 turned out according to the steward at the ground.....so, I think the team and Pardew need to make an apology for what was a shambolic performance, both on and off the pitch. Top marks to those that travelled and stayed to the bitter end in freezing conditions.

Footnote: A Blackpool fan approached me after the game and said " Were we that good, or are you truly that bad?
    On they day we really were that bad. McCarthy and Weavers rant at Basey and then Halford may have been justified.....but to be honest, I dont think anybody in Seahawk Blue was that interested on the day.
  • Options
    Quite depressing, Tel. I was hoping my concern about the arrogance of Pardew being mirrored in the players was unfounded, but you've just confirmed it. Especially disappointing to hear Matt Holland behaving like that. I also found it upsetting the way McCarthy and Weaver laid into the full backs - not much evidence of team spirit out on that pitch.
  • Options
    i can understand the players in the heat of the moment displaying anger at one another, but for me a better way to approach it maybe to get behind one another, and have the mentality of we win as a collective and lose as a collective, this is obviously not the case.

As for Pardew and his comments about players i feel this should not be done in the media, throw tea cups or rant at them as much as you like behind closed doors but to do it in the press i think causes more harm than good.

I felt that this has been an issue for some time with Pardew since he laid into Powell after coventrys equaliser, the man is an old pro and would have known he screwed up, he doesn't need to see it plastered across the press.

If he feels like that is acceptable i would like to see Varney or Murray come out and tell him what they think about these dire performances. As for the players attitudes, it shows that they let us down both on and off the pitch, and this is not the first time we have been told about poor players behaviour in regards to us, the fans
  • Options
    Thanks for the info T in O.

Disappointed to hear this.

I think its time Murray got to grips with Pardew and this lot. Particularly as they have just had their little break.

The Fans have done their bit both home and away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the answer to our problems is contained within your post Tel. I said earlier that Pardew himself is a big time Charlie so this has to rub off on the players.
    There can be no other explanation as to why we perform so poorly against the poorer sides. Poor attitude and a lack of motivation!
    It's very sad that your opinion of the players that you support with such passion has been tainted in this way.
    I really think it's time for Keithy P to assume a higher profile at the club again, to inject a sense of what it means to play for the club and show the players how they should conduct themselves.
  • Options
    Gawd Martin...dont you have a bed to go to mate :-)

There appears to be something wrong somewhere...cant say what or why, but I guess in the end its one of those "You had to be there" situations. Being a footballer is a high profile position, and with that goes the money, the glamour and more than a certain amount of responsability. Its weird, because I find myself writing this about a team that I follow with passion and yet it seems so negative, but thats how it came across at the weekend. Hopefully Im completely wrong and everything will turn out right. I hope so.
  • Options
    Disappointing to read that Tel, i can only say on what i saw, and i only saw Weaver and Basey being chatty with people in reception (Basey looks so young), and i think the thing with Varney during the game was him replying to a fan giving him verbal after he missed that 1-on-1.

My beef, and i think it is justified, is that this squad are very much being treated like a top Premiership outfit. Midweek trips to Spain, private flights, overnighters in the top hotels, everything is being pandered to a very high level, i doubt very much there is another squad in our league with an expenses budget close to ours. They are getting treated like the very top of the game, and they are nowhere near justifying that level of outlay. I think with this a lot of the hunger has disappeared; Saturday very much needed a 'man's performance', but there was only one team out there prepared to put that sort of shift in, and they played some decent attacking football in poor conditions with it.

I don't give a stuff about getting turned over by Blackpool, that's all part of the game, but that didn't look a very happy, cohesive squad up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite] that didn't look a very happy, cohesive squad up there.

Makes you wonder what went on in Spain, doesn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

Makes you wonder what went on in Spain, doesn't it?

did the players have their wives/girlfriends out there?? that might explain some of them not wanting to perform;-)
  • Options
    don't need to wonder too much

Golf, Girls, Booze
  • Options
    Gray Missed the one on one mate......but I think the players should adhere to some sort of Code Dan, there were kids around me and calling a fan a C*** is a bit beyond mate. Nevermind...onwards as they say
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Gray Missed the one on one mate......but I think the players should adhere to some sort of Code Dan, there were kids around me and calling a fan a C*** is a bit beyond mate. Nevermind...onwards as they say

Fans give it out, then they can expect it back.
  • Options
    Fella I know you love Varney like a brother, but calling someone who trekked up there the c word in front of a load of kids is not on.
  • Options
    more a general point about fans and players, rather then Varney.