Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That great night at the town hall

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Can spot myself, my brothers, Steve Reader and @Alex Wright up in the balcony

Must be other lifers in there.
    You can see me and @LargeAddickin the first row on the balcony to the right of the clock. I'm wearing a blue and white striped jumper.

Us old CAFC Supporters Quiz team are out in force.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I was outside, around the side of the building in the pouring rain on the big decision night.
  • Options
    Front row , Airman's minder
  • Options
    I was 12 but remember watching some of the clips on TV.

As an aside, says something of this forum that this thread was started in 2008 and only 2-3 of the original posters have stopped posting on here some 14yrs later.
  • Options
    The couple,back  row behind the clock look less than impressed. 🤷‍♂️😂
  • Options
    Like Henry said, the meeting was piped in to us via a loudspeaker, at the end there seemed to be a short delay before everyone realised we'd finally got the OK, then bedlam ensued.

Can't remember if it was ticket only, I don't recall getting there outrageously early to get in, although a lot of people were locked out. The other thing I remember was a good number of people turning up with press credentials from non-existant local papers, Woolwich Dockyard Bugle, that sort of thing, seemed to work for a lot of them.

• Options
    edited March 2022

I'm on the right hand side of the photo, second in from the end of the fourth row in the dark jacket and pale shirt. Sitting to my left is Andrew Crouch, to my direct right is a Fulham fan who I knew since childhood and next to him was the man who would be the best man when I got married, Guy Ritchie (not the director !).
  • Options
    I was there with mates. We were middleish and a few rows from the front.
    I was jumping up and down on my chair, prominent in the videos, but can't see us in that photo strangely.
  • Options

You can see me and @LargeAddickin the first row on the balcony to the right of the clock. I'm wearing a blue and white striped jumper.

Us old CAFC Supporters Quiz team are out in force.
    Well spotted @jimmymelrose
  • Options
    Never seen this shot from this angle before but it clearly shows me and FavershamAddick. Can't see the rest of our mob but we were all in the pub before and after. A great night when we had so much to look forward to....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:

I remember that night very well. If you look on the right side of the photo, I am in the little fella in the 5th row. From the left. I don't know who the first 2 are. Then there is Ron, Marc Robert, little me Paul Rudnik, I think Les son, Les Turner (whom I met through work when I worked at the DHSS). 
    Looks like Barry Nugent next to Les? I thought I spotted myself, but on closer inspection it isnt' me. I know I was there, must be behind someone who is already on their feet.     
  • Options
    I was jumping up and down on my chair, prominent in the videos, but can't see us in that photo strangely.
    Its a different meeting. The photos in this sre the club announcing we would be returning to The Valley in March 89. The one you are talking about is when the council finally gave us planning permission in April 91
  • Options
    I was there, all my mates in the photo, but I'm hidden somewhere.

Peter Varney at the front in a striped shirt behind the guy in the front row jumping up?

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Its a different meeting. The photos in this sre the club announcing we would be returning to The Valley in March 89. The one you are talking about is when the council finally gave us planning permission in April 91
    Thanks, that would explain it.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Mystery solved for me aswell.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

I remember that night very well. If you look on the right side of the photo, I am in the little fella in the 5th row. From the left. I don't know who the first 2 are. Then there is Ron, Marc Robert, little me Paul Rudnik, I think Les son, Les Turner (whom I met through work when I worked at the DHSS). 
    yep that's me and the old man in there as Rudders says 
  • Options
    Great night, I am in there somewhere, can see 2 lads I was with but I behind a load of raised arms
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

Looks like Barry Nugent next to Les? I thought I spotted myself, but on closer inspection it isnt' me. I know I was there, must be behind someone who is already on their feet.     
    Yes  it is Barry Nugent
  • Options
    so many old faces in there I recognise, a real who's who
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Thanks for explaining. I wondered why I couldn't see myself or the guys I was with. I also had it in my mind there were flags hanging from the balcony.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happened to the days when The Supporters and The Owners  worked TOGETHER for the Club? :( 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    What happened to the days when The Supporters and The Owners  worked TOGETHER for the Club? :( 
    Like the weekend before the local elections in 1990 when Mike Norris gave a TV interview saying we were unlikely to go back to The Valley, you mean? 🤷‍♂️

Martin Simons’ and Richard Murray’s board was the only one that ever worked effectively with supporters. All the others paid lip-service if that.
  • Options
    Was there, ended up in the North Kent Tavern in spray street, next to the old dole office, inevitably ending up in a tear up with some squaddies