Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And then the penny finally drops..........we're simply not good enough

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Despite getting the best possible start from a fantastically worked goal, for the following 80-odd minutes we were outworked and outplayed by a team that were simply better than us.

Why a club a with a budget probably a quarter of ours is a question for another day, but they were better than us in all departments. If they had a natural striker, they would of walked it.

Pay offs is the best we deserve now. We can still string a run of games into them and get there being the confident and fluid team that Bristol were tonight, but in all honesty, for us to go up and stay up would be mission impossible.

Comments

• Options
    They looked like a side who have been together for 2 years
  • Options
    and ours two minutes
  • Options
    Apparently,we're still going to put a run together !

Some people just can't see the woods for the trees.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]They looked like a side who have been together for 2 years

EXACTLY.

Hit the nail on the head.

Thank-you Rothko.
  • Options
    Do you think other Managers would be sacked or at least under more pressure than Pardew seems to be under.

I have sat through total and utter shambolic displays this season and with the time and money he has had over the summer to come up with that shambles of a defence is not good enough.

The players simply don't appear to have the ability to hack it in this league.

Why he has brought in both Cook & Sinclair at the same time seems nuts to me, as they aren't going to drag us out of this league.

Clueless.
  • Options
    They looked like a side which the manager knows is his best team
  • Options
    if ever there was a game of two halfs.
  • Options
    It will be difficult for us to keep a team together for two years when we play 33 outfield players in three quarters of a season. At what point do we go on a settled formation and know what our best players are within that formation?
  • Options
    I'll be surprised if any manager in the Championship was looking down the barrel if his side were in the play offs.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You're right there but the standard of his signings are just not good enough.

Ending up with all 4 loan players on the park doesn't say a lot about how he went about spending his transfer money (or the quality of those signings)

You maybe right there Rothko but the money he has spent on very poor quality players and the standard of performances he should be.

Wait and see the fans thoughts on that next season when we start again this division.

You may have to shout as they wont be there!

The lack of belief in some of our players is staggering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i don't understand why all the moaning. top of the table clash under the floodlights at the valley.these are the game we were craving when we were confortable in the prem.
  • Options
    the Sheffield result means nothing now totally gutless
  • Options
    Birmingham played with 4 loan signings on the pitch quite a few times last season.

I disagree about McCarthy, he's been excellent since he came back into the side, poor at the start, but has improved massively and made two massive tackles tonight, Boogie was looking good before the injury.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say we were outplayed. That was the case tonight.

Bristol City are better than us and will be promoted deservedly so. They are better than us in every department.

Anyone who understands football would have known that automatic promotion was never going to happen. At least we won't hear that rubbish anymore. We will probably finish 5th which is where we've been all season.
  • Options
    Yes, I cannot wait for Plymouth away!

Shall we make it a weekend?
  • Options
    If you want to spend £500 a season watching a player like McCarthy good luck to you mate

Boogie looking good

YOUD BLOODY HOPE SO FOR £2.5 MILLION QUID

HE WAS BOUGHT FOR THE PREMIERSHIP FOR CHRIST SAKE
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say we were outplayed. That was the case tonight.

Bristol City are better than us and will be promoted deservedly so. They are better than us in every department.

I agree entirely.

But with the backing our manager has been given, I honestly don't believe we should be getting outplayed by anyone in this division at this stage of the season. We are effectively running two Championship squads, but haven't gelled out a top side.

I don't want him sacked or any of those shenanigans before anyone jumps on it. But we are underperforming in my eyes.
  • Options
    £300 for me, no expensive seats.

McCarthy has been excellent since he's come back into the side, rather him then El Kak
  • Options
    theres still enough games for city to muck up,theres usually one.
  • Options
    "They looked like a side who have been together for 2 years"

Slight difference if you expect us to be as good as them this time in 12 months time, they are on the verge of 2 successive promotions our side wouldn't achieve that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Totally agree with AFKA. Sacking a manager for making the play offs in the first season after relegation would be ridiculous really. No reason why we won't make the play offs, I mean we never seem to move from 5th anyway.
  • Options
    i reckon el kak would have been ok if he'd played in the chumpionship as all teams are toilet as well.
  • Options
    Underperforming?

You aren't kidding. I cannot believe how unconfident some of them look.

Iwellumo has no idea of how to draw a foul of the defender, really basic stuff.

And thats the crux of it we have a defence and a forward line that cannot *do* the basic stuff.

I thought their No 11 was outstanding (McIndoe?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

I thought their No 11 was outstanding (McIndoe?)

I thought pretty much there whole team was outstanding, blimey even Byfield looked sharp up front, we looked totally pedestrian up front aprt from our goal.
  • Options
    What makes it all the more frustrating is that no one is grasping the nettle and really pushing on so every one down to about 7th can still get 2nd spot but we seem unable to stick two wins together. Watford were top and fell, WBA similar (although looking good again) and Stoke recently fallen apart with two away defeats. Someone who can win 75% of their remaining games has more than a decen chance of even winning the league but as more games go by unwun the chances of that being us are diminishing more and more...
  • Options
    I think you'll find they were motivated and had desire, spirit and a bit of guile.

Our lot?
  • Options
    With all due respect if you cannot finish in the top 6 off this division then you have got problems.

I don't see the Championship as a league with 24 teams in it half of them would have a job holding their own in division 1, so as far as our league go we are halfway house.

If you want an example of this just look at some of the teams who are competing with us for the play-offs, apart from Ipswich they shouldn't be anywhere near us.
  • Options
    So tell us Falconwood, did you enjoy tonight ?

be honest :-)
  • Options
    I don't think I need to comment on this thread - it's all been said.

On the bright side, we'll win on Saturday - I promise.
  • Options
    A bit yo yo some of the comments after Sheffield. But then thats what this squad keeps giving us. Strong start good goal then 80 minutes of deterioration. You could see their goal was coming about 10 mins before it did.

Of the plus points Ambrose had another good game and I was pleased to see Gray back in the frame. Holland worked his socks off again and McCarthy and Sodje were reasonably solid. ZZ made some good runs but didnt really lead to anything. Thomas had a game of 2 halves.

Varney looked out of sorts with Iwelumo on the pitch and seemed to close to Gray when he came on. Halford and Youga were really disappointing in the second half. But for me the 2 low points were Sinclairs fancy dan boots and Lee Cook walking off down the tunnel ahead of the rest of the squad as if he couldnt care less. That annoyed me big time.