Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And then the penny finally drops..........we're simply not good enough

2»

Comments

• Options
    if we were playing away 2nite and had won the home game 1 nil and drwan away we would be happy 4 points off the team that is top is no bad performance no one has doubled this lot all season
  • Options
    We would nla but then put the 1 point of Scuunthorpe and 0 from Colchester on the same table
  • Options
    agreed reams they were shite results but i for one am happy with the 4 points off city they played like a team where as we never
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]the Sheffield result means nothing now totally gutless[/quote]

No, the Sheffield result means that we are still in the play-off zone. If we'd have lost then we'd be behind Ipswich and Plymouth now.
  • Options
    Any more inept performances like that and we will be Harvey
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Underperforming?

I thought their No 11 was outstanding (McIndoe?)[/quote]

I thought the same. Then I started to wonder, is he really that good or does he just stand out more because of those orange boots? Then Sinclair came on in the same brightly coloured boots and I realised that McIndoe really was that good.
  • Options
    Yes, you are right there Reams.
  • Options
    I see your point nla but it does not disguise the fact that points are won and lost over 46 games not just two nor does it make me fell any better that a team who were 2 divisions below us last season have past straight by us in the space of less than 12 months.

It is not all about the success story of Bristol City im afraid, something has gone terribly wrong somewhere along the line too many changes too soon maybe and the successful signings have been evened out by the poor and disaterous ones.

Don't get me wrong if somebody would have said he would give me a point from Sheffield Utd followed by two home wins i'd have taken the 7pts from 9 which is where we will be at after Preston hopefully but lets make no bones about it it's play off points we are playing for now and we can afford no more mistakes.

Pardew, Robson, Parkinson one or all three have to decide who's giving the half time team talk because at the moment it's not having the desired effect.
  • Options
    McIndoe was playing for Doncaster not long back, just goes to show that with the right people around you, you can be as good as you want to be.
  • Options
    lets all hope lita signs then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]
    Pardew, Robson, Parkinson one or all three have to decide who's giving the half time team talk because at the moment it's not having the desired effect.

Sorry, I don't get this. Are you saying that all three of them give the team talk? If so, how do you know?
  • Options
    I'm with off_it, where are you getting your info from? Or are you putting two and two together?

To my mind I think we're having a good season. As has been said to expect to go up automatically at first ask with a completely new squad of players was daft, if we end up in the play offs then so be it. I'm not sure what sacking Pardew would achieve as whoever came in would have to start again and put us back to another 2 season rebuild.

For what it's worth I thought Varney, Gray, Holland, Sodje and Paddy, Ambrose and Thomas (allbeit with no end product) were good. Youga had a stinker and bottled a couple of tackles in the second half which I'm upset about. Halford looks a good footballer but doesn't seem a natrual right back if that makes sense, would make a tidy centre midfield destroyer in my eyes. Iwelumo I felt sorry for as the referee didn't give him a chance, maybe falconwood is right and he doesn't know how to draw a foul out of a centre half but I think it was made bloody difficult for him by the officials.

Not sure what all the fuss is about with Sinclair, but to be fair as an ex Rovers player making his home debut against City who were playing pretty damn well was tough and I will reserve judgement for the time.

Maybe I need to lay off prescription medications but I think we have the makings of a decent side. It didn't happen for WBA or City overnight.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I would imagine all three have an input at half time yes that's what they are paid to do manage, assist and coach why spend 90 minutes screaming instructions above a crowd and not have a say in the dressing room at half time, where would the point in that be.

No doubt Pardew has the agenda in his hand as the manager but I find it somewhat weak that between the three of them at half time they cannot instill the encouragement, determination and confidence into the team to protect a lead let alone highlight something tactically.

Ive been in dressing rooms during half time and seen and heard what goes on, ok the game has moved on but protecting a lead and knowing how to do it will always stay the same, concentration and keep doing what you do best whilst cancelling out the opponents strengths.

One thing you don't do is get your noses in front and then sit deeper and deeper until you can retreat no further, that's just inviting teams onto you.

Can you honestly say that you have seen much of that since Christmas Off_it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]", they are on the verge of 2 successive promotions our side wouldn't achieve that.

well of course not you can;t get promoted out of the PL
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]

Sorry, I don't get this. Are you saying that all three of them give the team talk? If so, how do you know?

He doesn't know he is just guessing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]"They looked like a side who have been together for 2 years"

Slight difference if you expect us to be as good as them this time in 12 months time, they are on the verge of 2 successive promotions our side wouldn't achieve that.

Reams - you really do talk some rubbish! Would we get promoted to the European Super League in two years time or something?

Unfortunately the realisation set in for me last night that we are not quite up to the job. I've been in denial on this all season as the standard of the league is so poor.

That said, the ranting about the time Pardew has had and the fact that we're not winning the league is over the top in my opinion. He's had less than a year in the job and less than 9 months to re-assemble a squad that was decimated by relegation. He's being criticised for bringing too many players in but he hasn't had a great deal of choice. Despite the money people claim he has had he hasn't spent a fortune and has had to take chances on players from lower divisions or smaller clubs, some have worked out, some haven't, some may yet. Either way with the amount of transfer dealing he HAD to do there were always going to be some disappointments.

I'm not saying he can do no wrong, I'd question his tactics on a number of occasions and he has had more money at his disposal than most teams but I think we need a bit of a reality check. Good football teams take time to settle and learn to play together, with the huge turnover of playing staff, injuries and tinkering to find the right formation we, quite understandably, haven't had that and I think if we don't find our way up through the play offs this year then the real test for Pards will come next season.

Last night was immensely disappointing, the football was poor and our understanding seems to have gone back three months, (I thought that we'd realised then that our squad isn't suited to Iwelumo up front on his own at home with long balls pumped up to him) but this season has been a huge undertaking and through all that we're still well in the race for promotion - I sure as hell wouldn't want to swap with Sheff Utd at the moment!
  • Options
    AFKA for my sins I have great seats at The Valley and unfortunately see *everything* that goes on which a lot of you miss sat in the covered end (Big Fat Mervyn Day falling over after kicking out at the advertising board was a beauty and Shearer *did* elbow Fortune in the face that time).

But when I see players, who have the ability, not able to do the basic stuff it drives me totally nuts and last night in the 2nd half was the case.

This is such a really baaaaaad league and with if we had put one small run of wins together we would've walked automatic promotion. I know probably all the Top 5 fans say this but we've had the money.
  • Options
    Can I just ask one thing that really does annoy me.

Where have I given the impression that I am ranting? It is just my opinion and I am capable believe it or not of giving them without being in a rage.

You rate Pardew, I don't and for many reasons but we can say that in civilised voices can't we and without being critical of each others opinions.
  • Options
    I think the Title of this Thread rings true for me except it's about two weeks ago for me, Blackpool away was a real Eye Opener, teams who get promoted do not play like that end of story.

Last Season it was Reading away when the penny dropped, the players looked like they had already surrendered to their fate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Totally agree with AFKA. Sacking a manager for making the play offs in the first season after relegation would be ridiculous really. No reason why we won't make the play offs, I mean we never seem to move from 5th anyway.

We went sixth for a few days recently.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]"Why do I give the impression I am ranting?

Perhaps if you used some punctuation it would help. When reading your posts, it just sounds like one long rant because there are no pauses. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse but some people's posts on here are very difficult to read. You cannot write like you're having some stream of consciousness, or like you're speaking, because when you speak you have natural pauses and intonation in your voice.
    Try using these:

, . : ; - ( )

Sorry, but you did ask.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]"Why do I give the impression I am ranting?

Mainly it's because your opinions seem really reactionary, reactions not based on fact or of extreme or unrealistic opinions like that tend to mean someone's angry or ranting. You seem to start threads with really extreme opinions or ones that you've formed based on no facts whatsoever (such as needing to sort out who does the half time team talk - how do you know what goes on in the dressing room at half time? Or the fact that we would never get promoted two seasons running or that we're a big clique on here (I've only ever met about 2 of the people who post on here) etc etc etc.

By the time you get a little further down the thread you seem to have thought things through a lot more and even where I don't agree with you I can see the sense in what you're saying. Once you've got the 'end is nigh' stuff out of your system your viewpoint makes a lot of sense.

I actually wrote that you talk a lot of rubbish with a grin on my face as the 'we won't get promoted two seasons running' post made me chuckle - wasn't looking to start an argument (not least since you posted on here the other day that you're about 6'8"!!).

And for the record I'm not sure if I rate Pardew or not, just trying to balance out some of the 'Pardew out' stuff with the facts about the size of the task he's had to take on. Lots of people talk of Curbs getting us straight back up as his greatest achievement, Pardew may yet do that under much more difficult and unsettled circumstances and it seems that a large minority want him sacked!