Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could this be the reason why Halford played so poorly on Saturday?

13»

Comments

• Options
    if true then I feel for the lad and send him my condolances on his loss.

However, that doesn't distract from the fact that he is cack and if he has lost his Mum then perhaps Pards should have left him out for a few games. I can see him wanting to play but his mind couldn't have really been on the job.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear.

I admire his character, but the manager shouldn't have played him, despite i'm sure his honest protests that he was ok.

There were other options, and they should of been used in this instance.
  • Options
    Very sad if true, but I agree with Smudge....shouldnt play him when we have other options.
  • Options
    It was his grandmother:

Halford revealed that the black armband he wore during the 2-1 defeat to Preston on March 8 was in memory of his grandmother, who had died

during the week leading up to the game. "When we were playing the game on the Tuesday against Bristol City, my nan died, although I didn't know it at the time," he said.

"I was very close to her and I admit it did hit me quite hard but I wanted to keep my mind off things so I didn't ask for any time off.

"I love coming into training - it is my job and it's probably the best job in the world. I have tried not to get too down but when you are close to someone it is bound to affect you a bit. I am just working as hard as I can and keeping focused on football."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It was his grandmother:

Halford revealed that the black armband he wore during the 2-1 defeat to Preston on March 8 was in memory of his grandmother, who had died

during the week leading up to the game. "When we were playing the game on the Tuesday against Bristol City, my nan died, although I didn't know it at the time," he said.

"I was very close to her and I admit it did hit me quite hard but I wanted to keep my mind off things so I didn't ask for any time off.

"I love coming into training - it is my job and it's probably the best job in the world. I have tried not to get too down but when you are close to someone it is bound to affect you a bit. I am just working as hard as I can and keeping focused on football."

As somebody who was also close to his grandmother I can sympathise with him, particularly if it was sudden and unexpected.

The responsibility stops with the manager who has to judge whether a willing player is in fact in the right mental state to play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It was his grandmother:

As somebody who was also close to his grandmother I can sympathise with him, particularly if it was sudden and unexpected.

The responsibility stops with the manager who has to judge whether a willing player is in fact in the right mental state to play.

You were close to Greg Halford's grandmother? Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Why cant we leave it that its a really difficult judgement call on Halford or Pardew as to whether he should have played or not. I dont blame him or pardew.

And I dont think he is cack either. His height is useful as a full back in forward and defensive modes and personally I have no problem with the long throw ins. I would like to see a real challenge for that position between Moo2 and Halford. Both have potential.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Why cant we leave it that its a really difficult judgement call on Halford or Pardew as to whether he should have played or not. I dont blame him or pardew.

Agree.

Very sad for Greg and hope he gets back to the way he played in his first couple of games even if I, for the little it is worth, would play Yassin.
  • Options
    Yassin looks a great athlete to me.

I wonder how he might play in midfield?