Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favorite Charlton manager in your lifetime

would be Jimmy South Stand for me but edited to be in your life time so Lennie.

Comments

• Options
    is this a "in your lifetime" Henry???? ;-)
  • Options
    Lennie. End of.
  • Options
    1. Lennie
    2. Curbs & gritty
    3. Curbs
    4. Pardew
    5. Les Reed
    6. Davros

Can't remenber much before 1982
  • Options
    in my life time only had curbs,dowie,les,pardew so i gotta say curbs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]is this a "in your lifetime" Henry???? ;-)

OK let's make in your life time

Lennie for me as well
  • Options
    Curbs.

but i'd guess Lennie may in the fullness of time run him close.
  • Options
    would have been lennie if he hadn't tried to sign robert lee on the cheap as we he knew we needed it most.

so curbs all day long as you can't really argue with his record.
  • Options
    Robin Michael Lawrence.

How he got us promoted when we moved to Sellout/no money/poor crowds; I shall never know - followed by four seaons in the top flight. The most inspired player purchases of any Charlton manager. Without him Curbs would never have happened.

And a win at Old Trafford, that Curbs never managed.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Close run thing between Curbs and Lennie Lawrence with an honourary mention to Andy Nelson for a while at least.

Lennie did a great job getting us up and keeping us up four 4 seasons despite the handicap of playing at that shithole.

However, without wishing to diminish his achievements, English clubs were banned from European competitions at the time which meant that the English first division was as high as you could go. The "silly" money wasn't around then either so players were not desperate to move on.

Curbs had silly money wages to contend with, Europe and Bosmans all at a time we were also redeveloping the ground. I therefore think his achievements marginally exceeded Lennie's and therefore vote Curbs.
  • Options
    curbs he brought some great young players and gave us two prmotional years ok it went stale towards the end but would we have achieved half the things under another manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs and Lennie joint
  • Options
    Favourite was Lennie, best was Curbs.
  • Options
    Allan Mullerey for me

is the worst, after Les Reed.
    I respect Curbs but never liked him. I liked Lenny till I met him a couple of years ago, very bitter, so for me Super Al.
  • Options
    curbishley just pips lennie for me... we never had it so good and i doubt we will again, not in my lifetime or by the time riscardo reaches 28
  • Options
    Curbs, haven't really got much else to chose from!
  • Options
    Lennie.

Steered the club through the darkest years.
  • Options
    Has to Be Curbs at 33 i thought Lennie would be the best mgr i ever saw but curbs came and achieved at a very influencial time in my life so curbs wins hands down although what lennie achieved was very impressive.

but pipped at the post
  • Options
    Lennie for his record and identifying Curbs as a potential.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Close run thing between Curbs and Lennie Lawrence with an honourary mention to Andy Nelson for a while at least.

Lennie did a great job getting us up and keeping us up four 4 seasons despite the handicap of playing at that shithole.

However, without wishing to diminish his achievements, English clubs were banned from European competitions at the time which meant that the English first division was as high as you could go. The "silly" money wasn't around then either so players were not desperate to move on.

Curbs had silly money wages to contend with, Europe and Bosmans all at a time we were also redeveloping the ground. I therefore think his achievements marginally exceeded Lennie's and therefore vote Curbs.

can't disagree with the Curbs / Lennie comparison
  • Options
    Curbs and Lennie, I can't decide between the two. Anyone who remembers the years at Selhurst and hanging on with little or no money.

Curbs was a good solid manager and completed the work that Lennie started.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew 4 ever!
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani and Theo Foley
  • Options
    Lennie's achievements should never be down played. To get a side up with all that was going on around him, and then to keep us there for 4 years was outstanding. If that had happended now with all the hype surrounding it the whole world would know about it, but back then we were just riducled for being small, e.g the 'joke' that Den did on Eastenders about our gates!
  • Options
    theres only one lennie lawrence
  • Options
    I'm too young for Jimmy S, so it should be Curbs but I'm still a bit childish about him at the moment.

Lennie was a legend but equally I remember leading the singing behind the goal at Selhurst with a chorus of "Lennie Lawrence has fucked it up again."

Bailey was superb for one season. But I'm going for Lennie because I used to have a couple of sherberts with him in the Catford Cricket Club and history has shown that he still very much cares about us, whereas Curbishley doesn't seem to.
  • Options
    Favourite manager is Lennie, the best though for me is Curbs.
  • Options
    Mike Bailey
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite] and history has shown that he still very much cares about us, whereas Curbishley doesn't seem to.

Maybe he has the time at the moment to appear that way whereas Curbs hasn't

Curbs' speech at the end of his last home game showed his love for our club- never a man to play to the media- that was heartfelt. But don't expect too much public "adoration" for us whilst he is Wham manager.
  • Options
    Despite rumours to the contrary, I wasn't around for Jimmy Seed and I'm convinced had Mike Bailey been given the time, he would have been a legend. As it is though it's a tough call between Lennie and Curbs and perhaps it's a little churlish for me to try to choose between them.

Lennie's management abilities enabled our club to survive poverty and coupled with success and top league status, kept us from likely extinction. Curbs abilities in a different era arguably brought us greater success in a tougher environment, but with the backdrop of a much more secure foundation.

Legends both say I.
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence.......

I have to mention as well meeting him at city addicks him and johnnie H was like a timewarp for me from when I met them when I was a kid..... absolutely fantastic....

I think lennie was the best thing since sliced bread and to be fair give it another five years I think every one will look back and fel the same about curbs...

both fantastic but Lennie gets it for me..