Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favorite Charlton manager in your lifetime

2»

Comments

• Options
    Theodore Cornelius Foley

Loved him so much I even named my kids after him
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence...End of.
  • Options
    Mike Bailey or Alan Mullery
  • Options
    Lennie is our leader
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence for me sorry Curbs!
  • Options
    Kenny Craggs...
  • Options
    theo foley
  • Options
    Has to be Curbs for me, but with the recognition that there wouldn't have been Curbs nor the club if there hadn't been Lennie.
  • Options
    Lennie for me.
  • Options
    lennie and curbs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Bailey could have been if given time but it has to be Lennie, not only managing a club within seconds of being wound up, but having no ground and being able to attract players, including Curbs, to the club when we had no money and minimal prospects.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Theodore Cornelius Foley

Theo Foley was special ....... not for the fact that he masterminded the most miraculous escape from relegation.

Nor even that the next season we got relegated after a calamatious collapse from 12th at Easter - and spent the next couple of years grossly underachieving with arguably the most talented squad in that division.

Theo was special because he was such a great bloke - loved his football and his players, not forgetting to include looking out for the supporters. He'd always find time to chat to you before a match about the team, injuries, opponents, anything at all really - and share a drink with you ...... and always seemed to conjure up a spare complimentary ticket if you were a regular away supporter.

He proved to me that there was more to football than just results. I could tell you a few stories - but not in the way that Theo could, in his charming Irish accent.

Probably not the greatest achiever Charlton have ever had. But what a thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Theodore Cornelius Foley

Probably not the greatest achiever Charlton have ever had. But what a thoroughly nice bloke.

And he still does matchday hopsitality at the Valley these days, Oggy, if you feel like reliving some old times with him.
  • Options
    les reed
  • Options
    Andy Nelson for the attacking flair

Lennie for managing in adversity

and Curbs for the premiership years
  • Options
    Has to be Lennie Lawrence what he did for this club with just 2 ha'pennys to rub together was nothing short of miraculous. I saw us win at OT under him as well, some great moments chelsea at the bridge 1-1 miller, st andrews, a trip to wembley, promotions, giving us paul mortimer,

Curbs - very very close - wembley the championship , premier league - england players, win at Anfield, 4-2 at highbury,

not much to beat mind - mullery,nelson,foley, et al
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence without a doubt
  • Options
    Curbs achieved what was possible.

Lennie the Legend was the guy that achieved the impossible.
    Promotion, 4 top flight seasons, a 1st Wembley appearance for 40 years and a raggle-taggle nomad band of players.

And with a club that had no ground, no money, no stars, no crowds & no hope.

Legend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Curbs achieved what was possible.

Lennie the Legend was the guy that achieved the impossible.
    Promotion, 4 top flight seasons, a 1st Wembley appearance for 40 years and a raggle-taggle nomad band of players.

And with a club that had no ground, no money, no stars, no crowds & no hope.

Legend.

Great post Oggy in support of Lennie.

I do think you are under-playing Curbs achievements a tad. He and Gritty took over during the sojourn to West Ham when there was less than no money. (They couldn't go back to the same hotels because they owed money).

He and Gritty managed to keep the club afloat until we got back to the Valley. He then got us promoted twice and we reached our highest league position since god was a boy.

His successful management of team affairs enabled the Directors to have the stability to invest in the club's infra-structure.

Lennie will remain my favourite but my view is that Curbs was the best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] Lennie will remain my favourite but my view is that Curbs was the best.

Very well put Bing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Mr Theo Foley all around true Gent. Seeing Lennie on that old film recieving that phone call still makes me go glassy eyed, Alan Curbishley for achievement.

oops!! can I have 3?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lennie for me too. It was remarkable what we acheived under him at that time. Had the pleasure of a beer with him and Flash once too and found him to be a really nice bloke to boot.
  • Options
    Lennie was the most unassuming bloke. He was a PE teacher before he got into coaching. He played non-league before that. I think the way he has sustained a decent career in management is an indication of how well he is thought off in the game because he is no self-publicist.
  • Options
    Lennie for me. Even when I saw him sitting on the Rovers bench the other night with his head in his hands I still think he's 'our's'. Thanks Lennie x
  • Options
    Ill bever forget that scene of lennie shaking his head angrily in a dug out once... still remeber where I was when I heard the news he was going Boro....

beckenham junction train station....how glamarous