Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Park Tavern, Passey Place

I see this has been done up and reopened. Anyone been in there yet?

Comments

• Options
    haven't been myself but apparently it's a bit too poncy to be 'the park tavern'.
    the old regulars (betting lot) use (what used to be) the chequers now.
  • Options
    That used to be Mexican? I though it was alright in there. Is it just a pub now?
  • Options
    no that was the pub previously called the chequers which is now called draughts.

the park tavern is in passey place . My dad and sister have been drinking in there of late and say it's well worth a visit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]no that was the pub previously called the chequers which is now called draughts.

the park tavern is in passey place .

I know, I started the thread!
  • Options
    I think my reading of that was the product of being on the road from 8am-9pm with only a couple of hours break.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]My dad and sister have been drinking in there of late and say it's well worth a visit

my 'poncy' comment was meant to get across that it is not what the old park tavern regulars were used to or expecting from new owners/refurb. as i understand it, the old pt just wasn't making enough money and a change was needed. i think it's a shame that it has (according to others) lost that proper pub feel.
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]That used to be Mexican? I though it was alright in there. Is it just a pub now?

used to be the chequers, then the mexican, now draughts.
    owned/run by an irish fella. have to say i go in there most weekends and although it has the 'painted over chequers' feel, we have been made to feel welcome.
    probably (almost definately) not everyones cup of tea because there's only pride (when they've got that) for ale drinkers, but for me (lager lout), when i'm watching the footie and they bring out trays of sandwiches, sausages in french bread, roast tatties etc i think it's things like that, that make people return.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I think my reading of that was the product of being on the road from 8am-9pm with only a couple of hours break.

Is that legal? Don't tell the EEC! ;-)
  • Options
    I meant to post re this pub a while back. We arranged to meet some friends in there some months back on a sunday afternoon. got in there at 3.45 in time for last orders!!! It shuts at 4 on a sunday and doesnt reopen... and i think i read it doesnt open at all on a monday!

seemed nice tho.
  • Options
    Where is it?
  • Options
    Are the indoor cricket nets still there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eltham. opposite Argos i think.

Apparently my friends were in there the other week and two blokes were in there swearing loudly so the landlord launched them out the door. sounds great. and has a lovely little garden.
  • Options
    always been a decent little boozer that one. Not drunk in there since I left Eltham in 1993
  • Options
    went in there last night for the 1st time since the change of owners, having heard nothing but good reports.
    nicely done out.
    only had kronenborg or amstel lagers on tap, bit too strong too go 'on it' on a school night.
    still, had a krony, and a budvar for the better half.
    went back up to the bar and the bloke next to me ordered 3 pints of this real ale stuff to be told that they had just run out, 'no probs. i'll have 3 landlords timothy taylors' he said. only for the barmaid to come back 'sorry we're just out of that aswell. the only bitter we have is best'. 'ok, 2 pints of best and a pint of guiness' he said. ' oh, the guiness has run out'.
    luckily enough i got my kronenborg, but the next time went to the bar they didn't have any draught lager and only 1 bottle of budvar left.
    the only draught thing they had was a cider and best bitter.

the old pub may've had a few dodgy characters and been a bit loud and in your face. it may've had racing on the telly with punters blowing their wages with the resident bookie. you may've occassionally stuck to a seat/floor.
    but at least you could always get a beer.

won't be rushing back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]went in there last night for the 1st time since the change of owners, having heard nothing but good reports.
    nicely done out.
    only had kronenborg or amstel lagers on tap, bit too strong too go 'on it' on a school night.
    still, had a krony, and a budvar for the better half.
    went back up to the bar and the bloke next to me ordered 3 pints of this real ale stuff to be told that they had just run out, 'no probs. i'll have 3 landlords timothy taylors' he said. only for the barmaid to come back 'sorry we're just out of that aswell. the only bitter we have is best'. 'ok, 2 pints of best and a pint of guiness' he said. ' oh, the guiness has run out'.
    luckily enough i got my kronenborg, but the next time went to the bar they didn't have any draught lager and only 1 bottle of budvar left.
    the only draught thing they had was a cider and best bitter.

the old pub may've had a few dodgy characters and been a bit loud and in your face. it may've had racing on the telly with punters blowing their wages with the resident bookie. you may've occassionally stuck to a seat/floor.
    but at least you could always get a beer.

won't be rushing back.

I'll be the 'devils advocate' here and suggest that as the pub has only just reopened (well fairly recently that is), that they may have miscalculated the sales and simply not ordered enough....maybe a victim of their own success.
    Or what can happen is that a function or unexpected group turned up (after a funeral or christening for example) and cleared them out....it can and does happen on occasion.
  • Options
    Or Off_it had been in there for an afternoon session
  • Options
    that is unusual that sounds like the Royal Oak as it were... i can only imagine that would be a one off and somebody messed up the delivery order?
  • Options
    few of my friends i play golf with have been in there a few times they reckon its very friendly and decorated nice apparently amstel on tap is the main lager meant to be a bit pricey ?
  • Options
    I go in there ocassionally with a mate and there's never been a problem with lack of beer even when it's been really busy over the weekend. It's not a bad little pub.
  • Options
    I was in there Tuesday night and two of the five real ales were off then. It's been open for 18 months so no excuse really. Very poor management. In fact that is the one thing I don't like about the pub, the manager/landlord.
  • Options
    Things don't get any better. In there last night, they now have 8 hand pumps and only two were on. One serving a Mild the other a Blonde Ale. So no normal best bitter etc. Ridiculous. I complained and was told if I didn't like it then I should leave. Great attitude. It is such a poorly managed pub.

And also they had no ice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you're a glutton for punishment Chirpy!!
  • Options
    We got told off for swearing in there a few months back
  • Options
    I know someone who got told off for laughing too loudly in there.
  • Options
    it ain't what it used to be, used to love the old Park Tavern, squashed into the little front bar watching the racing. Never forget watching Germany 1-5 England in there.....great day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I know someone who got told off for laughing too loudly in there.

Was that the barman laughing as the landlord threw you out ? :-)
  • Options
    I've been in there a few times. It's done up nicely and has quite a good "feel" to it, but there is definetley something a bit "wrong" with it.

I understand that the landlord has made a conscious effort to keep out undesireables but you do get the feeling that you're not really welcome sometimes - almost a bit of an inconvenience being there and daring to order a drink.

One time I was there and the service was truly shocking. Waited about 15 mins to get served, but as I was meeting someone there I had to hang on. Fella who got served before me complained to the barmaid/landlady about the time he'd been waiting to which she replied, and I shit you not, "we're not that sort of pub. If you want serving quickly then go somewhere else".

Not what sort of pub? The sort where you are made to feel welcome and can actually buy a drink? Evidently not. Which is a shame.

(PS. they've always had a very good selction of beers on whenever i've been in there - although not particularly well kept)
  • Options
    They are so conscious of keeping the riff-raff out they have sucked the life out of the place. Dismal and boring.
    Much better as it was before the makeover.
    Get on a 321 and enjoy a couple of pints in the Dacre instead.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]They are so conscious of keeping the riff-raff out they have sucked the life out of the place. Dismal and boring.
    Much better as it was before the makeover.
    Get on a 321 and enjoy a couple of pints in the Dacre instead.

I'll try that m_l_c.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I know someone who got told off for laughing too loudly in there.

Was that the barman laughing as the landlord threw you out ? :-)

I've only ever been thrown out of The Watling as it happens CE.