Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Park Tavern, Passey Place

Comments

• Options
    The landlord has killed it a little bit. Feel like you have to whisper and sometimes is like walking into the lounge of a care home rather than a pub.
  • Options
    The Landlord is never there anymore.
  • Options
    Go to Sidcup Place, much better.
  • Options
    What the Berni Inn? No thanks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Go to Sidcup Place, much better.

Comedy Gold - well played!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]What the Berni Inn? No thanks.

It is nice in there tbh, not bad prices either. Either that or The Tailors Chalk, which is too packed most of the time to be able to get in the door
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Things don't get any better. In there last night, they now have 8 hand pumps and only two were on. One serving a Mild the other a Blonde Ale. So no normal best bitter etc. Ridiculous. I complained and was told if I didn't like it then I should leave. Great attitude. It is such a poorly managed pub.

And also they had no ice!

I was also told, no guranteed that there would be 8 pumps fully working the next day, they were all ready apparently.
    A mate of mine went in there the next night, last Thursday, and there WAS NO BITTER on at all.

What a sh1tehole!

Popped in the Beehive tonight. Very pleasent and good beer, Bomberdier, Pride and TT Landlord.
  • Options
    Update - Ran out of all beer at 10.30 last night. Also been told they also sold out of white wine over Christmas!
    How can a pub be run so badly?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    They've spent a lot doing the place up, but the layout is still poor IMO. The bar is too long. In the summer it's ok as the outdoors bit's quite nice, but in the winter there just isn't enough space (or beer by the sounds of things). They do occasionally have Doombar though.

Oh, and had this conversation with my Dad - which "park" is the name referring too ? Sainsbury's car park is the only one near by !
  • Options
    I'd imagine Eltham Palace Park &/or Middle Park nearby?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    North Park actually. Which is now a road.
  • Options
    It was one of the thinnest parks in London and was the home of the 500 yard sprint until they converted it.
  • Options
    How on earth could I forget one of the nicest roads in Eltham!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It is, but a bit them and us nowdays. On one side your garden can back onto Royal Blackheath Golf Club, whilst on the other side you back on to Sainsburys car park!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That was my point Chirpy - i'm not sure where the Park would have been coz Blackheath Golf Course is the oldest golf course in England and would have thought it pre dated the pub and road name. Never thought about it before and i used to live just round the corner for years.
  • Options
    Golf course is laid out over the 'Great Park of Eltham Palace' says the website so answered my own question. Bloody obvious really.
  • Options
    The golf club and not the course is the oldest in England. It started on the Heath, hence the name.
    North Park is called North Park because it was the North of the Park.
  • Options
    @ Bexey Dan, as Chirpy says, it's the oldest golf club, so they claim, some dispute it apparently, but the course isn't the oldest.

Played it once last year, quite nice.
  • Options
    @ Chirpy...so is the Park Tavern is named after Eltham Palace Park, if 'North Park' is named after being in the north of Eltham Palace Park?

• Options
    Better pub before they did it up.
    My old man used it a bit after he gave up on The White Hart. Always a few 'characters' in there (to say the least!) but never any trouble and an entertaining couple of hours guaranteed.
    Only does any business now because every other pub in Eltham is sh1t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SLL - Basically yes.
  • Options
    @mid_life_crisis
    Have you been in the "New" White Hart?
  • Options
    No.
    I'm pleased they've done something with it, but really don't want to drink beer in a restaurant.
  • Options
    Park Tavern used to be a proper drinkers pub who liked to have a bit of a lock in - useful on a sunday afternoon before all day drinking came in.
  • Options
    The "new" White Heart doesn't know what it wants to be I don't think. Expensive too.
  • Options
    its poor for such a well populated area to have no decent pubs. well none i know of anyway.
  • Options
    Eltham High Street has always suffered as long as I've been drinking in pubs - 30 years this year! The White Hart was lovely and The Greyhound was good too but apart form that the rest were and or are pretty awful. The Rising Sun is bad although better than it was 20 years ago. The Castle was horrible as was The Carpenters Arms. Kings Arms/Blakes crap, Crown - rough, Chequers - dodgy. Old Park Tavern not too bad.
    Now there is sometimes the awful Post Office, the scummy Bankers Draft, Draughts. Crown still there but looks rough. New Park Tav has been discussed.
    There are one or two not bad pubs in the surrounding area, on Shooters Hill both the Bull and Red Lion are decent honest boozers and in New Eltham the Beehive is a good pub and The Charcoal Burner has always been good when I've been there.
  • Options
    The White Hart is a punch tavern now, they're all like that
  • Options
    seems as if you know more pubs than me in that area. I have been to crown- bloody dreadful place. the old post office- not much better. The rising sun was average. the weatherspoons, which i think is the bankers draft, ive never been in there but from what i'm told and what ive seen its one of the worse wetherspoons in south east london, which really is saying something.
    The bull like you said is a pretty nice place though.
    Its still a shame. The area breeds rough pubs. as does an area i'm from, lewisham. only 1 decent pub (bloody pricey though). then you have to head out to lee, blackheath and new cross to get anything better.
  • Options
    North Park is called North Park because it was the North of the Park.
    I think it's named after Colonel North, the bloke who built Avery Hill Winter Gardens.