Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Mortimer

2»

Comments

• Options

Im sure morts got another typical mortimer special in the 2-2 mid week game against arsenal in 89?? I think we were wearing the yellow kit. Did the guy ever score a tap in!

yep him and mckenzie scored a couple of decent goals that game

So Morts scored a cracker and McKenzie scored two in a 2-2 draw?
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Im sure morts got another typical mortimer special in the 2-2 mid week game against arsenal in 89?? I think we were wearing the yellow kit. Did the guy ever score a tap in!

yep him and mckenzie scored a couple of decent goals that game

So Morts scored a cracker and McKenzie scored two in a 2-2 draw?
    Yes, Morts volley from edge of box, Mackenzie bullocking run and shot from distance.

One of my favourite games.
  • Options
    I recall a goal against Notts County i think in 1990 at Selhurst, bloody brilliant. He had me at hello.....then the one against Bradford in 1999(?), fried gold.
  • Options
    My favorite Charlton player as a kid during the 90s. Don't think I've seen a player in the red shirt who could dribble past players with such ease.
  • Options

Did the guy ever score a tap in!

Yeah, I recall quite a few. It's just that before tapping it in, he'd run 30 yards past 3 or 4 players...............

• Options
    Bradford was a brilliant goal. Browny got an absolute rocket in that game as well
  • Options

Bradford was a brilliant goal. Browny got an absolute rocket in that game as well

One of my favourite games. Mendonca got two (his first at home?), there were two brawls, I touched the ball... and their goal was a blatant handball by Edinho. Pretty sure they had Youds playing for them as well. My sister thought it was boring and never went again.
  • Options
    loved his way of defending in a one on one....all arms and making himself big. then nip in, slides, trip the player up with the ball and off you go.

mortimer is/was god i agree
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

One of my favourite games. Mendonca got two (his first at home?), there were two brawls, I touched the ball... and their goal was a blatant handball by Edinho. Pretty sure they had Youds playing for them as well. My sister thought it was boring and never went again.
    and Beagrie was sent off for slapping Robinson .. Chris Kamara (the Brad manager at that time) sold us Youds very soon after that game
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Both Paul and Chris should be knighted for their services to football and for being jolly nice blokes.

(If only I could have bottled how I felt after that famous show in the snow and could sell it, I would be a billionaire by now - thanks Morts)

This - Millwall in the snow - they couldn't get the ball off him, he was going round the same players 2 and 3 times. Bought the video of the game the club produced after, gotta dig that out - happier days :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was like marmite back in the day, either loved or hated by the fans! I remember the Man City away match, when he got hold of the ball near the half way line other Charlton players pealing off, half my mates saying pass the ball you greedy.......then he ran through the middle and smashed it into the net. We all went mental looping! Genius!
  • Options
    The man better known as Paul Mortimore in team line ups for the reserves and first team for the first few months of charlton career. Scoop?
  • Options
    Yeah, I seem to remember the stadium announcer referring to him as Paul Mortimore when the teams were read out, which is obviously how it was spelt in the programmes at the time....funny how it changed to mortimer once he became a regular...incorrectly spelt in the early days, or name changed by deed poll??!!!!
  • Options
    Loved his sliding tackles where he'd stand up with ball attached to his foot and stroll upfield. He'd push ball down line,again attached to his foot then drag it inside,completely wrong footing defenders. Was a decent full back and often CH in ressies. Marmite came because he never dived into a tackle but waited for a player to commit. Not many got past him though.
  • Options
    Fulham's loss was our gain. I don't know how a player of his quality managed to slip through the net and end up working in a bookstore before we gave him another chance. One of the most skillful players ever to play for CAFC.
  • Options
    Love the Norwich away goal, Notts County at craphurst and Arsenal away happy memories
  • Options

Coaching with CAFC now.

Hoping we can get Mickey Bennett along too

Is he? There seem to be a number of old boys doing a bit of coaching (isn't Fortune with us as well?)
  • Options
    Hope not
  • Options
    Osei Sankofa now also a Charlton coach.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Osei Sankofa now also a Charlton coach.

Thought he was a fleet player. Pretty sure he was on the bench on saturday

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    See morts quite often as he coaches the U15s the man is quality
  • Options
    First person i saw score for Charlton. Bristol city 1994? Went round 2/3 players and finished brilliantly. Pissing down with rain with BC in a horrible green and purple kit. May have been David Whyte
  • Options
    Nope that was Mortimer stonewall. Think Whyte scored that day as well but Mortimer scored a lovely and typical solo goal which I think he replicated against Wolves that same season. Both 3-2 wins I think.
  • Options
    Yeah i think whyte got the other two.
  • Options

First person i saw score for Charlton. Bristol city 1994? Went round 2/3 players and finished brilliantly. Pissing down with rain with BC in a horrible green and purple kit. May have been David Whyte

How old are you stonewall , I had you down as an old codger like me (43) unless you were a late starter at Charlton
  • Options
    Aaah ok , mature 28