Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sinclair for 4 Million

Comments

• Options
    what other criteria would you prefer then? On the face of it Ithink all of them were reasonable purchases, whether we should have paid such fees is about the market (I would hope)
  • Options
    Players who have a proven pedigree in this league, players who are hungry, players who want to win,

You ask anyone within football which is the hardest league to get out of, and they will tell you the championship, we havent had the players with the mental and physical strength to sustain a and maintain a promotion challange, at no point during the season has the team go on a run, and to compound the problem we sold the crown jewels in January
  • Options
    ok fair enough, so who would you have bought instead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I've edited it Henry.

Should we have down the same with McLeod NSS?

Lets not confuse the discussion with logic WSS.....
  • Options
    Would Curbs have spent the kind of money on Gray & McCloed........as for Sam he is still a kid and this is the league to blood him

Lloyd Sam is 23 and will be 24 in September, hardly a kid.

Would Curbs have signed Gray and McLeod, who knows, but I remember the stick when he signed Darren Bent...and who signed Rommedahl, Marcus Bent and wanted to bring in JFH? Curbs also got stick for signing Andy Hunt - it took him into his second season to settle in and start scoring goals before he was considered a successful signing.

If we are going to compare Curbs and Pardew in the transfer market then to be fair we need to give Pardew a couple more seasons to bring on some of the players he has signed, most of whom were cheap purchases from lower leagues, loan signings or in the examples of Moo2, Racon and Semedo from foreign leagues, plus Weaver was signed on a free. Given that Dowie's signings (Reid excepted) were dross we have to expect that a new squad is being put together and that means taking chances and in some cases taking gambles. I wonder how Curbs would act if he came in as manager when Pardew did?

To date McCarthy and Bougherra look like being successes (contrast that with comments about both players earlier in the season), as does Semedo. Weaver looks ok (last Saturday notwithstanding), up front Iwelumo has done what was asked and expected of him (none of us thought he'd match Mendona or Hunt did we?), while Todorov got himself injured after a couple of good games. As for Varney, Gray and McLeod those signings haven't come off yet, Dickson did brilliantly at Gillingham, then returned and got injured, Varney has a few goals under his belt, while Gray has struggled, although he has a few assists to his name. Sodje, Lita as loan signings have done ok, Halford, Cook and Mills for various reasons haven't or didn't perform as well as we'd have liked. Moo2 seems to be out of favour, but looks like he has the ability to go on. This squad needs time to settle and we need to be patient, we gave Curbs time and it worked and it may just be albeit with some more tinkering that we have the nucleus of a good squad for the next few seasons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ok fair enough, so who would you have bought instead?

didn't have to buy mccleod,keep £1.5 mill in the bank give lisbie a new contract and before anyone says anything i have said this all feckin season not in hindsight.Lisbie had only played for us before in the premiership,in this league i said and have been proved right he would score goals.
  • Options
    I think Pards had a much bigger mountain to climb than Curbs, and far less time to do it, with higher expectations.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ok fair enough, so who would you have bought instead?[/quote]

Chris Brunt . Sheff Wed
    Keogh Wolves
    Agyemang Preston
    Clemance Birmingham
    Yeates Colchester

A few to mention, players that have been used to this leagus, would have looked to get young players in on loan as did Birmingham the year they got promoted....
  • Options
    "The short-term fix has never really been my gameplan," he explained. "I think that's been shown throughout my management career at Reading and West Ham United as well.

"I've not come here to work for a year, get promoted and then drift off to another club. I've come here, put down roots, and will try to make this club better than it was before, and that's not going to happen - particularly with the huge changes we had last summer - straight away.

"I know that, but obviously I'm still hoping we can promoted this season."

He added: "I think you have to show faith in players and give them time; unfortunately, time is of the essence in modern football, but while that's true, you have to have some logic regarding how you are going to take a club forward.

"For example, if we had bought players that were supposedly good enough for this division, and then got promoted, what would we do in the Premier League? Probably struggle, because we haven't got the finances to go and buy four or five big players.

"I've tried to buy young players - some of whom have been a success and some of whom haven't yet - to try and get promoted with them this season. Hopefully, they will achieve that and take that experience and get better in the Premier League, but if that doesn't happen this season, then they will definitely grow and get better in the Championship next season."
  • Options
    ebanks-blake
    campbell (at hull surely at the beginning of the season we were a more attractive proposition)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Papers today report Pompey and Sunderland are fighting it out for the four million rated Scott Sinclair Feck me the world has gone mad
    Sunderland must have rumbled that Reid is very ordinary.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Papers today report Pompey and Sunderland are fighting it out for the four million rated Scott Sinclair Feck me the world has gone mad
    Sunderland must have rumbled that Reid is very ordinary.
    Now u r having a laugh...........
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ;o)
  • Options
    BFR's post sums it up best for me.

As for the list WIWLB would of signed, well we did try to sign more than one of them, but they chose other clubs. Not much we can do about that.

There appears to be a lot of negativity that could be viewed as 'in hindsight'.

In hindsight is always the easiest of games to play.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]BFR's post sums it up best for me.

As for the list WIWLB would of signed, well we did try to sign more than one of them, but they chose other clubs. Not much we can do about that.

There appears to be a lot of negativity that could be viewed as 'in hindsight'.

In hindsight is always the easiest of games to play.

I was not aware of us going for any of the players i have named............there is no negatitvity, i think fans have wised up and have felt cheated by some of the performances this season, it appears that there are certain people on here that are attached to the club and dismiss anything that appears detremental againest the club or employess,this is a fans forum and not one that is run by the club, therefor they should respect the views of the fans
  • Options
    I think you're only seeing what you want to see.

If people want to sound off then that is perfectly fine, no one by putting up a counter argument is stopping people from doing that.

But those who have 'wised up and feel cheated' also have to appreciate the view that there are others, like myself, that don't feel 'cheated' and see what has happened as par the course.
  • Options
    So u feel that the results at home this season have been par of the course, take your employees hat off and put your fans hat on, how many fans have had value for money this season, how many fans have walked out of a game buzzing, a very small percentage
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    AFKA is not an employee of the club is he?!

Results this home have been nothing less then crap, I agree and i have been baffled by some of the performances - i really though we'd turn it around at some point. But when WBA, Bristol, Watford and the like all went ona run of 7/8/9/10 games without a win i realised thats whats this league is like.

Ah well.
  • Options
    No, i've said it a thousand times, we've underperformed and we've not been good enough. I haven't agreed with all his signings, and i think he concentrated in the wrong areas. We should be higher than we are in this league.

But i don't feel cheated, that's how it goes sometimes. Its not the end of the world, our club hasn't has done so well this season as we would of hoped. If it doesn't improve next year, then more than likely they'll change the manager and start again.

I said at the start of the season my concern was that we were trying to build a young squad for the future, not concentrate on what we have to do to get promoted, and it looks like that has kind of happened. We just need to make sure we improve for next season, and i think we will.

Not sure what all this 'employees bit' is all about. I'm nothing to do with the club, and never have been.
  • Options
    Your views are your views. I haven't read anyone dismissing them although BFR and others have disagreed with them and pointed out flaws and counter arguments as they see it. That is what debate is about.

What I don't understand are the leaps of logic that Pardew spends his time playing Championship manager to select players.

Where I think Mr Pardew would agree with you is that we need more players who have experience at this level. Really only Paddy has played here for any real time in recent years. The Curbs buys such as Ambrose and Thomas haven't done so although Holland has while most of the Pardew buys are either overseas or from lower leagues.
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]ebanks-blake

And if he gets sent down this month? What if the reports back were that he has a "dubious" character as shown by the ABH case,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    That is just my sarcasim creeping in about the championship manager, as for ebanks-blake atleast he can tell his cell mate he is player of the month in the championship for March, if the manager and club are building for the future then why offer the incentive for a free season ticket next season should we get promoted, it appears that the club were building for the future but wanted the fans to renew and dangled the carrott knowing we werent going up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]why offer the incentive for a free season ticket next season should we get promoted, it appears that the club were building for the future but wanted the fans to renew and dangled the carrott knowing we werent going up
    Think this is a bit silly to be honest. Not sure how the club would know we werent going up. Many people thought we would go up before the season started but for one reason or another we have fallen short (but still not a forgone conclusion that we will not be promoted as well).

There was nothing sinister in the ST offer in my opinion.
  • Options
    Ok,all about opinions,
  • Options
    It is indeed - quite enjoyed the mass debating on here today!
  • Options
    even better with ten pints down u............give us a kiss
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite] if the manager and club are building for the future then why offer the incentive for a free season ticket next season should we get promoted, it appears that the club were building for the future but wanted the fans to renew and dangled the carrott knowing we werent going up

"Knowing we weren't going up"

At the time of the offer we weren't even sure we were going down so how could the club have predicted 12 months ahead that they would not be going up?

If you are building for the future then you will want, during bad times such as relegation, to:

- Maintain as much income as possible to spend on players wages and fees so that you can bounce straight back.

- Maintain your supporter base long term to maximise income when you are promoted, to generate a positive atmosphere as well as keep the stadium full on matchdays

- Show your level of commitment to gaining promotion to supporters and reward those that stick with you in the hard times.
  • Options
    u trying to tell me something Henry or someone nicked your keyboard
  • Options
    Henry i couldnt give a monkeys where we play or what league we are in, the fact is the crop of players we have are not charlton through and through and it leaves a dad taste in my mouth that we have had players with less talent but bigger balls who played for the club and earnt less money, a manager feeding s35t in the local press and website every week, i would love to manage that club, they would sweet blood for the club and the fans proud of each performance regardless of the result
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]they would sweet blood for the club and the fans proud of each performance regardless of the result

How many clubs can you say that about though?
  • Options
    in this league or football in general.........i can think of a few