Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To Parents

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Henry I dont think when people say kids of today they actually mean every single living young teenager do they? Its just a figure of speech as well you know.

yes it is a figure of speech but it is also a lazy generalisation.

There's always been good and bad kids IMHO as well as basically good kids who sometimes act bad when drunk/on holiday/at football/in a crowd and that included some of us on here

Personally I think the bad kids today are allowed too much free rein and there is not enough of a deterrent either of being caught or being punished when they do. Yes, try and get kids to change but if they don't lock 'em up. I don't think going to prison will do them much good but it will get them off the streets and it might deter a few of their mates. Having spent a few weeks in prisons recently it certainly put me off

I don't think there are any easy answers but thinking that this is a new problem and that everything was rosy in the good old days doesn't help find whatever the answers are.
  • Options
    When juries start refusing to convict adults for assaulting mouthy/aggressive kids and the media picks up on the fact and broadcasts it people will feel a lot more confident standing their ground and the kids will be much less cocky about their rights. Just remember that next time you get called up.

S.
  • Options
    I think WIWLB is spot on. Give them a stint in the Army and teach them a bit of discipline and self respect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Two good books are "The Good Old days" about the East End in the late 1880s and "hell holes" about prison and the reasons for prison reform in the late 1880s.

However neither tell me how i get these kids away from smashing a ball against my wall or in my front garden. I wonder if i can get them all to move to Bromely ? or i might set the red ants on em.

We don't want those types in Bromley thank you. Keep them in your Blackheath sink estates (that's a joke)

I'll look out for them. Been doing some work in prisons so will be interesting.

Try Holligan: a history of respectable fears. A bit too much like a socialogy essay but some great quotes and examples of moral panic
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Kids play football in the street, against garden walls, garage doors etc

Happened in your day, happened in my day and hopefully will carry on happening. Rather em be doing that than in some alley sticking a needle in their arm.

Just be glad they're not playing knock down ginger and your door bell is going every ten minutes :-)

We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off. Blame her (I'm ticking off Sco's list one by one)

And why was it knock down Ginger. Discrimination against red heads
  • Options
    We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off. Blame her ......But then if we hadnt had built the houses or given people the oppertunity to buy there council houses in the 80's then they may not have had the oppertunity to better there standard of living, there is a house shortage now, so what would u like us to do have some wonderful football pitched but all sleep rough....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off.

we used to play in the road because the playing field was a good 30 metres away and we 'couldn't be bovvered'.

When an adult used to come out after we've trampled over their roses for the 8th time getting the ball back, and they asked why don't we go and play in that field over there, the standard answer was normally 'dunno'......

Also used to go round throw eggs at people's windows. Remember once at night when it went clean through the window into someone's bedroom. Christ we run that night !
  • Options
    AFKA i do have a 22 rifle not even you can run that fast !!!

"AFKA faster than a speeding bullet!" care to try ? you belt f**k out my door ill stand in front room rifle at the ready " they dont like it up em Mr mannering".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off. Blame her ......But then if we hadnt had built the houses or given people the oppertunity to buy there council houses in the 80's then they may not have had the oppertunity to better there standard of living, there is a house shortage now, so what would u like us to do have some wonderful football pitched but all sleep rough....

It was a joke
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    If only they could issue retrospective ASBO's....

I think a lot of it is to do with the media to be honest. Like football etc, there is a lot more coverage of incidents and we get ploughed with it 24/7, in The Sun's "Broken Britain" waffle and constantly with the police reality shows that are on at any time of the day.

If t'internet, digital tv, newspapers was/were like it is now, 10/20/30 years ago then we'd probably be having exactly the same conversations.

Well i wouldnt because i'm not an old git like some people on it.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off. Blame her ......But then if we hadnt had built the houses or given people the oppertunity to buy there council houses in the 80's then they may not have had the oppertunity to better there standard of living, there is a house shortage now, so what would u like us to do have some wonderful football pitched but all sleep rough....

It was a joke

Ouch............sorry there goes another rib
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's terrible what kid's are like these day's. Baring in mind i'm only 17 lol

I have a massive heath just over the road from me (bostall heath), but theres also a big wall near me, me and my mates always used to kick a ball against that. One time the bloke come out and got in his car and chased us, nowadays it would be the other way round i guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][We used to play in fields until Thatcher sold them all off.

we used to play in the road because the playing field was a good 30 metres away and we 'couldn't be bovvered'.

When an adult used to come out after we've trampled over their roses for the 8th time getting the ball back, and they asked why don't we go and play in that field over there, the standard answer was normally 'dunno'......

Also used to go round throw eggs at people's windows. Remember once at night when it went clean through the window into someone's bedroom. Christ we run that night !

What we see here is the inarticulate youth of the 80s with their "Bovvered" and "dunno" indulging in criminal damage and terrorising old people in their homes. No doubt the perpetrators are now in prison or dead from sniffin' glue.

Compare this to the hard working, intelligent children of today, slaving over their homework and developing their social skills on facebook.
  • Options
    No contest really me in my motor and 6/7/8 yoofs on foot. Make Tinamen Square look like a sowing circle. Yoof smoothy anyone ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What we see here is the inarticulate youth of the 80s with their "Bovvered" and "dunno" indulging in criminal damage and terrorising old people in their homes. No doubt the perpetrators are now in prison or dead from sniffin' glue.
    Or running websites. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What we see here is the inarticulate youth of the 80s with their "Bovvered" and "dunno" indulging in criminal damage and terrorising old people in their homes. No doubt the perpetrators are now in prison or dead from sniffin' glue.
    Or running websites. ;-)

I think the first two options would be preferable : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Just be glad they're not playing knock down ginger and your door bell is going every ten minutes :-)

Or the special Northfleet version where they actually steal the doorbell from the doors of the whole street and then hide in the park over the road randomly ringing them. They then wait for a couple of weeks until everyone has spent £10+ on a new doorbell and repeat the "prank". I need a doorbell that doesn't attach to the door by a piece of double-sided tape and is actually wired into my house, horrible little *****!

Before I moved to doorbell-stealing Northfleet, I used to live in an end-terrace house with a piece of wasteland/grass next to it. It was always used for footie and the side of our house was the goal. Sunday afternoons listening to the constant bang of the ball against the wall was not particulaly relaxing or enjoyable. Nor was the constant trespassing to retrieve the ball from the garden. I once totally lost it with two young lads playing out there until one started crying. I then completely backtracked as I felt so guilty!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]they actually steal the doorbell from the doors of the whole street and then hide in the park over the road randomly ringing them.
    Wilma, that is funny....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]they actually steal the doorbell from the doors of the whole street and then hide in the park over the road randomly ringing them.
    Wilma, that is funny....

Not when its your doorbell it's not!
  • Options
    DING DONG....
  • Options
    Wilma, that is funny....

Yeah, sorry to admit that I'm also laughing hard at that one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    Wilma, that is funny....

Yeah, sorry to admit that I'm also laughing hard at that one!

Wait until it catches on around the country and you're all suffering - I'll be the one laughing then!
  • Options
    As long as they leave your knockers alone!
  • Options
    Wilma u might have the hump but not as much as your local Avon lady, i bet her lipstick sales have dropped
  • Options
    That doorbell prank it brilliant!
  • Options
    Wilma - I can sympathise with the end terrace being used as a goal. My parents were driven mad by the ball continually thumping against the wall - sometimes it used to make the ornaments rattle. It was a nightly event for my Dad to ask them to stop. Wimbledon fortnight used to be lovely for them as the tennis balls would start pounding against the wall. Thankfully they managed to move before they had a nervous breakdown............