Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away teams have picked up on our "support"

WSSWSS
edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Quote from Mr. Chris Perry:

"We will have to go there and keep it tight for the first 20 minutes at least. Most home teams come out quickly with the attitude that if they start well then the away side won't fancy it. I am sure Charlton will be the same but if we can keep them out for the first 20 minutes then their fans may get on their backs as they do expect quite a lot from them"

Comments

• Options
    yes have to say i expect to win more than 5 in 22 and i dont expect us to loose 8 at home. That really is alot i guess.

Is it bollo*
  • Options
    Chris Perry knows from experiencethat many of our fans have unrealistic expectations.

Chris Perry knows from experience how negative many of our supporters can be, how they attack their own team rather than supporting them.

Chris Perry also knows that if our fans slag off & boo their own team, it always helps opponents.
    And it never helped Charlton.
  • Options
    that is the same speech that is given by nearly every away player who speaks to the media before a big away game, we need to keep them quite for 20 mins etc etc
  • Options
    He could also be talking about any side in the division.

Any away manager knows that if you keep it tight for the first 20/25 minutes, home supporters will start to get restless.

To say that this is something unique to Charlton is bollox!
  • Options
    oh dear
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    Well how about instead of "getting on their backs" if we are not winning after 20/25 minutes we keep getting behind them to push them forward?

Maybe, if this happens, we can revolutionise the way home supporters are if every home team gets on the backs of their players after 20 mins if they are not winning......
  • Options
    At Watfords game this week the players were booed off at half time. the crowd also started booing half way through second half. To imply "its a Charlton thing" is total BOLLO*.
  • Options
    That's all right, then.

Carry on slagging off the team at every opportunity ....... because Watford fans do it too.

Watford lost 3-0. Could have gone top, if they'd won.
    Really helped their team, didn't they?
  • Options
    It's not about the "if we are not winning after 20/25 minutes" it's the tempo that is set for the game in that time.

If we get the ball down and try to play football then the crowd will respond, if first 20 minutes is spent just hoofing the ball from the back four up to big Chris, then I would expect that the crowd will start moaning. I'm not saying I agree with it but i can understand it.

To a certain extenet Pardew made a rod for his own back when he said that we would "play our way out of the division". There has been precious little evidence of that this season and if you are going to raise the expections of the fans, don't be too suprised when the shit starts flying in your direction when you can't deliver.
  • Options
    or slag all our fans off for the sake of a few who boo --- thats all right then ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    To be fair though GH, Watford were losing at half time then losing 3-0 half way through the second half!

The point i'm trying to make is that if it level after 20mins and/or at half time then how about we encourage the players to come out and perform?

I remember a few seasons ago, we were losing 2-0 at half time to someone in Division 1 and as the players were going off, we all started singing, cheering and backing the players. What happened? We won 3-2.

How times have changed.

In all honesty though, this subject has been done to death. I don't agree with the booing during the game etc but it something we need to live with. I know its not all fans but unfortunately it is a loud minority.
  • Options
    booing during the game never understood it . Might have done at half time and have several times at full time. At the end of the day though these people pay their money . u , me etc might not agree but unless you are prepared to tell em 2 shut up they will carry on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]booing during the game never understood it . Might have done at half time and have several times at full time. At the end of the day though these people pay their money . u , me etc might not agree but unless you are prepared to tell em 2 shut up they will carry on.

totally agree if they want to boo they can if i want to sing i will, they pay their money like you and me and can do what they want.this booing debate is nearly as boring as mine with pardew.I really dont see the problem if the players put it in they wont get booed end of.
  • Options
    I think we should have blow up punch bags that can be inflated so that you can punch your anger out of that instead of having a go at the team. Or alternatively get all your anger out by shouting at at the nearest lino.
  • Options
    good idea the seat behind me is free
  • Options
    WSS was that game tranmere at home on a weeknight?remember it well.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]they pay their money like you and me and can do what they want..

Really? Is this a law?
  • Options
    elaborate plum man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]elaborate plum man

What's an elaborate plum?
  • Options
    jimmy did you used to ring that charlton radio station back in the day?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the whole family did
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]they pay their money like you and me and can do what they want..

Really? Is this a law?

the personal digs are boring
  • Options
    I met Mr Chris Perry at London Bridge after the game, a very decent guy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

Really? Is this a law?

the personal digs are boring

It's not meant as 'a personal dig.'

I just don't agree that people who pay money to do something have the right to say whatever they want. In what area of life does this normally apply? In the supermarket? At the hairdresser's? Of course not - it would be considered as verbal abuse.
  • Options
    chris perry,to have him still at the club,brillant player.
  • Options
    but the whole point of professional football is to have people pay to watch you perform,if you dont surely people who have paid money have the right to vent their frustrations.
  • Options
    football,a sport you can be truly awful at but still drive a porsche,perfomance pay i say,price work!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]but the whole point of professional football is to have people pay to watch you perform,if you dont surely people who have paid money have the right to vent their frustrations.

Perhaps you're right - but I just think that sometimes people should simply decide not to go to a few games. Go and play a game of golf or go swimming instead. If it really is the money aspect that makes you feel the need to scream abuse then surely it would be better to use the money on something else that you feel is better spent. Then you can go to the next match to enjoy the match rather than getting madly frustrated when we lose (which incidentally has a 33% chance of happening).
  • Options
    i beg to differ with charlton surely higher
  • Options
    i dont have a choice jim,its in the blood,but as my nan always used to say when i came back after another let down in the 80s "SILLY CLUB DONT GET SO UPSET!,i dont get half as upset these days.