Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What should our expectations be now

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
After the last 2 seasons what should we expect for next season?

Top 6
Mid Table
Bottom 6

Comments

• Options
    Top 6 i hope
  • Options
    Top six, why not? If you aim for mediocrity (ie mid-table) and accept that as your standard then that's what you'll get.
  • Options
    Play off spot deffo.
  • Options
    avoid relegation ;-)
  • Options
    Champions!
  • Options
    top six, as were my expectations this season, anything else is a disaster
  • Options
    Bankruptcy
  • Options
    we have serious financial and stability problems if we don't go up next season-

Nothing specific to us, any club relegated from the Prem would have after 2 years

Carm on you Reds!
  • Options
    hopefully pardew will be on hes merry way.
  • Options
    Charlton athletic.....

anything could happen.... we havnt got a clue whos staying whos going and as always we are a very human team.... as in a win and we could be world beaters a loss and there the biggest bunch of tosh to put on the shirt.....

top 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The club has been in decline now for about 4 seasons. We need to halt that decline first and foremost.

So same position as we finish this year is a reasonable target.

Expectations need to be re-aligned.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]The club has been in decline now for about 4 seasons. We need to halt that decline first and foremost.

wasn't it 4 yrs since we sold the last of the few decent charlton youth products, and dare i say the last time we've had any1 in the team who knows what it is to be charlton?

we need desperatly to play the youth, or atleast people who, maybe not as technical as other players but play there heart out every week no matter who the opposition or current position of the team is.

next season we should need to aim not only for top 6 but get promoted, and i'd say the same of what ever league we may play in in years to come - whats the point in playin if your not in it to win it??
  • Options
    top six an absolute minimum.
  • Options
    I'd say top 6 - maybe even better if we can a couple of key players and build some team spirit and consistency.

I think if we don't have our expectations too high then we might not be so disappointed next year and the team may even surprise us.
  • Options
    Well I'm not sure you should be "expecting" a top six finish next....hoping yes....expecting no.

As you like to remind me and my red and blue brothers.....we have spent a lot of time in this division over the last decade whilst you have been eating at footballs top table.

And I'm not exagerating when I say this is the worst championship in terms of quality for many years and It won't be this bad again next season. If i'm honest I am genuinely surprised that CAFC are not in the top 2.....but your not.

And I seriously think some re-adjustment of the mind set of a few (not all) at the Valley is needed.

Next season QPR , will be challenging....infact with their finance....the owners will EXPECT to win this division. The blades will be better, Wolves are now enjoying improved finances, Hull also have money if they need it with out carrying the burden of a huge wage bill.

The three that come down will find it as tough as Charlton did this year.

We have a good crop of kids, but if we don't sneak it this year and I actually don't think we will......then next season will much harder still.

Thats all!
  • Options
    I think we have to aim top 6 minimum.

Obviously a lot depends on who goes and who comes in. A little bit of tweaking and we would have gone up this season as even though we were inconsistant and lost games we should have won we still almost got to the play-offs at least.

It may or may not be more difficult next season. Who knows?

Isn't it exciting supporting Charlton.

COYR
  • Options
    any ideas who the mugs were yesterday SA
  • Options
    I don't necessarily buy into this whole "club X and club Y have more money so that means they'll be up there" point.

We have shown this year, that spending money doesn't necessarily mean success. It depends on the choice of player, and how well they gel in the team.

QPR might have the money to buy 20 new players, but there's no guarantee that they'll do any better than if they bought 2 new players.

I think (hope) we'll be in a stronger position next year than this year because of the extra experience players will have, plus HOPEFULLY Pardew will have seen where its gone wrong this year, and improve on the weak parts of the squad.
  • Options
    yer but look how qpr have progressed since november and compare that with us.I'll have money on them finishing above us.
  • Options
    That might be the case NSS, at this stage nobody knows, but my point was just that we've seen first hand that having big money to spend doesn't necessarily mean promotion!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if you spend it astutely it helps though
  • Options
    I have to agree with Son of Selhurst. I don't think we'll have a better chance of going up than we did this season, the team winning the league will probably have the lowest points total ever. As he says this division is unlikely to be as bad next season.
    With our club in decline and reports that Pardew might not have much money to spend in the summer, who are we to say we 'expect' a top 6 finish next year.
  • Options
    let's hope it's not bottom 6 which current form says it will
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Champions next year I want Charlton Athletic to be the best always have and always will be if I had the money as im poor as a church mouse I would gamble it all on them. We missed a trick when we was in the Premiership. I wanted Champions League qualification when we had a chance, I wanted a F.A Cup semi final place when we had the chance. But it sadly didnt happen.
  • Options
    sold scotty parker then benty missed a sitter
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]And I'm not exagerating when I say this is the worst championship in terms of quality for many years and It won't be this bad again next season. If i'm honest I am genuinely surprised that CAFC are not in the top 2.....but your not.

exactly this was our year to go up but we've f***ed up massively cos next year the points required for automatic and play off spots will be so much more
    expectancy levels will drop cos we wont spend as much money and our crowds will be smaller
    oh for 2 promotions and 8 premiership seasons thankyou sir alan curbishley
  • Options
    Avoiding relegation from the Championship.

Our form since Christmas or thereabouts has not been far off relegation form so I don't think that is an unrealistic aspiration given that funds will be limited for team strengthening.
  • Options
    Too early to comment really. Just so bloody disappointed with it this season. I wont listen to the spin in future, that way I wont be disappointed eh? :-)

Will be in a better position to answer positively by the time the pre-season friendlies come around...seeya at Welling guys
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Avoiding relegation from the Championship.

Our form since Christmas or thereabouts has not been far off relegation form so I don't think that is an unrealistic aspiration given that funds will be limited for team strengthening.

Maybe, Len - but since Xmas, none of the top 10 with the exception of Hull City - have done any better.
  • Options
    The championship for the foreseeable future say 5+years hopefully upper mid table.