Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poll: Management for next season - PLEASE READ

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Curbishley was mutual, dowie was sacked and Reed was only given a short term management contract.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Curbishley was mutual, dowie was sacked and Reed was only given a short term management contract.

I hope you are right!

I'd have thought though that there would still be some costs for the Club. It costs to sack people unless there is gross misconduct without getting too specific.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]It would be really nice if Len and Oooahhh could one day make a comment without mentioning Curbs.

stop bitching about what he does at west ham and i'll try and forget the 8 premiership seasons and 2 promotion's he provided us with
    the fact is that since he left the club we have gone backwards
    curbishley's relative success for charlton raised my expectations(and i'm pretty sure most fans's new and old)
    b4 the recent stint in the premiership i was happy accepting how midtable chuff we were, but this year we were the big boys in this league and we have failed miserably so i blame curbs for raising expectations!!
  • Options
    I voted to be backed until November, if by then we still look rudderless and if Pardew isn't able to lift the side and motivate the players if necessary to grind out results then it's time for him to go. By then he'd have had nearly two years in the job. I accept that many of the Prem squad left after the relegation season and the squad had to be rebuilt but even so by November he'd have had a season and a bit with the new squad and have had time to assess any weaknesses and rectify them. If he hasn't achieved a level of consistency after 10-15 games then it looks unlikely that he'll be the right person for the long haul.

Giving Pardew or any manager a free ride until the end of the season would be foolish, but until then Pardew must be backed 100% by the club, I don't want to see us become a club that change manager every couple of years, the managerial role is important and the long tenure of say Curbs and Alex Ferguson proves that good managers and time can give the right results.
  • Options
    I just voted till november, though i understand people's concerns about not changing mid season!!
    For me there have been too many times this season that alan has called on us the fans to show 'real support' and 'back the team' only for me and many others to do just wot he ask's and end up watching a complete shower.
    One such occasion for me was blackpool away, i haven't felt like that at a game for god knows...............embarrassing!!
    I dont want to come across as a hater of alan im not, i just hope he has learned some valuable lessons this season regarding his attitude to the fans, and realise that to get top form support you have to be watching at least a team that is trying from the back to the forwards in every game and not just a select few!?
    (some good footy would be nice too) Wotever happens i will allways be there and charlton will allways be a big part of my life.
  • Options
    I have voted for full season but only on the basis that the Board present the financial dynamics that he works on in the summer and if he doesnt like it he can resign there and then. No bleating later on in the season.

Like any decent manager he must work within budget. So if he cocks up with his purchases/sales he has to work harder with what he has got.

At the moment I really dont think Pardew is such an attractive prospect to either a low half prem club or a top half Champ club so best to improve his CV with us.
  • Options
    Give him al of next season.

Pardew isn't perfect, nor was Curbs, nor are any of us. With all the changes we have had since Curbs left it is time for stability and Pardew needs to be given another season to prove his worth.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    but it will be interesting to have one thread where everyone puts down what they believe, without commenting on others views, or going off at a tangent. lets see where everyone stands.

what a shame most can't be bothered.

Hairy Muff, but it wasn't just me. Sorry I didn't read all of the original post.
  • Options
    I voted for end of season. Stability is the key and Pardew should be given the time to get it right. Voting for that dosen't mean that if it goes totally t*ts up that a change may need to be taken earlier.

Along with most people I was happy at the time Pardew was appointed but have been disappointed with this season.

Although the buck stops with the manager the players must also bear some of the responsibility. Many of them have underperformed and I sometimes think that is one of the reasons the team has chopped and changed so much.

Onwards and upwards. That is the beauty of supporting Charlton Athletic Football Club.
  • Options
    I back him to stay until Christmas 2010, purely on the basis that I think you should choose a manager and stand by him no matter what (except two relegations wiothout a promotion) for a minimum of 3 years. Seeing as Pardew also had loads of upheaval and a mess to take care of for this first year, I'd give him 4 years.

The only way I would retract from that, would be if he made a real fault worthy of a sacking.

All this talk of getting rid of him now is plain daft IMO, and I look forward to bumping this up ( so long as the board share my patience) in a year or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whether people think Pards is the right man or not - you can't build a team on instability.

If we put just half the effort that we spend in moaning and undermining players/management/each other, into unifying as a club, we would give ourselves one hell of a great chance of success.

Surely that is the ultimate aim of actually supporting a club?
  • Options
    but it will be interesting to have one thread where everyone puts down what they believe, without commenting on others views, or going off at a tangent. lets see where everyone stands.

what a shame most can't be bothered.

Pathetic really, isn't it.

I've gone for full backing and the whole season - otherwise there's no point.
  • Options
    I really have had difficulty with this one.

It is not normally my style to criticise the manager. I support the club and will generally back the manager until the club think otherwise.

I find Pards refreshing and I have not taken anything he said to heart . In my view he is merely reflecting reality which is that fans have been unsettled at poor performances. I sometimes think he shoots from the hip a little too much when his emotions are all at sea at the end of games.

There is a but coming...........

......but his own stated ambition/target for the season has not (but for some miracle) been met and therefore by his own standards, he has failed.

In addition in my view, he really has lost the plot. I think he had plans to play a game of pace, down the flanks with some pace through the middle. A mixture of injuries and poor early form (Mcleod) convinced him to change things. I don't really think he worked out how best to use Reid and eventually he decided to sell him. Sure there were financial constraints but if Pards had decided that Reid was key to his plans, I think he would have kept him. He flirted again with pace down the flanks after Xmas but backed off again for more long ball stuff and ultimately it didn't work. Some of the blame for this must be borne by the players but the chopping and changing is down to Pards.

I now come to the most difficult part, namely should he go or should he stay? I have decided that he should stay, and because he needs a decent run at it, I don't favour the "November" option. Why? Because on balance clubs who hold their nerve and give managers the time they need, in my view, tend to be more successful and Pards has had a real job on his hands to re-build after last season.

He is an intelligent bloke and I hope for everyones sake, he has learnt from this experience.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I have voted for full season but only on the basis that the Board present the financial dynamics that he works on in the summer and if he doesnt like it he can resign there and then. No bleating later on in the season.

Like any decent manager he must work within budget. So if he cocks up with his purchases/sales he has to work harder with what he has got.
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. This season hasn't panned out the way we might've liked, but more upheaval and change for the sake of it isn't going to help. Say we're halfway through November and we're way off the play-off places, sacking Pardew would mean we'd have to rush through finding a replacement ready for the January transfer window, unless we're going to be promoting from within. And given the trouble we had as an unglamorous Premiership club it's going to be even worse as an unglamorous Championship club with a fanbase that is developing a reputation for booing at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I really have had difficulty with this one.

It is not normally my style to criticise the manager. I support the club and will generally back the manager until the club think otherwise.

I find Pards refreshing and I have not taken anything he said to heart . In my view he is merely reflecting reality which is that fans have been unsettled at poor performances. I sometimes think he shoots from the hip a little too much when his emotions are all at sea at the end of games.

There is a but coming...........

......but his own stated ambition/target for the season has not (but for some miracle) been met and therefore by his own standards, he has failed.

In addition in my view, he really has lost the plot. I think he had plans to play a game of pace, down the flanks with some pace through the middle. A mixture of injuries and poor early form (Mcleod) convinced him to change things. I don't really think he worked out how best to use Reid and eventually he decided to sell him. Sure there were financial constraints but if Pards had decided that Reid was key to his plans, I think he would have kept him. He flirted again with pace down the flanks after Xmas but backed off again for more long ball stuff and ultimately it didn't work. Some of the blame for this must be borne by the players but the chopping and changing is down to Pards.

I now come to the most difficult part, namely should he go or should he stay? I have decided that he should stay, and because he needs a decent run at it, I don't favour the "November" option. Why? Because on balance clubs who hold their nerve and give managers the time they need, in my view, tend to be more successful and Pards has had a real job on his hands to re-build after last season.

He is an intelligent bloke and I hope for everyones sake, he has learnt from this experience.

Thoughtful post, Bing. Let's see what the next 12 months bring.
  • Options
    I am genuinely shocked that almost three quarters of people will give him the whole year.

I think it proves that in the current climate the more "negative" views get so much more of an airing in public and on boards like CL. You would have thought, looking on here in the past couple of weeks that the poll results would have been reversed!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I am genuinely shocked that almost three quarters of people will give him the whole year.

i think this has as much to do with the fact there aren't many suitable candidates available to take the post, so better the devil you know
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just wonder how learning lessons from previous mistakes (i.e. Dowie) means we shouldn't move Pards on

He's been given much more time that Dowie/Reed

He's been given as much investment as Dowie

I can only think they mean he should be given 2 seasons, rather than Dowie who had weeks.. although Dowie went for non footballing reasons anyway, I'm confused.
  • Options
    Just to get on NSS nerves i think the 2 year plan is a cracking idea
  • Options
    I voted for another whole season with Pardew.

To be honest I don't think we will get promotion next season with Pardew, but I don't think getting a new manager would achieve that either because it takes time to get things in place etc.

I think we might be stuck in this league for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i voted for whole season, what impressed me early on with pards was the purchase of young players, it wud be great to see them coming thru and a team being built that isnt f~~ed about with.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I am genuinely shocked that almost three quarters of people will give him the whole year.

I think it proves that in the current climate the more "negative" views get so much more of an airing in public and on boards like CL. You would have thought, looking on here in the past couple of weeks that the poll results would have been reversed!
    Too be honest if, like me, you are happy with Pards being in charge then you probably can't be arsed reading all the negative threads or starting new "I'm happy with Pards" threads!

On any subject, people who have a gripe are usually much more vociferous than those who don't.

If there was an option to back Pards for the next two seasons, I would've voted for that.
  • Options
    Have to give the bloke a full season at the very least otherwise we would be in very choppy waters.

This season has been VERY hard to take, especially the home form, but looking at his record the bloke obviously knows what he is doing and until the last four weeks we looked PO certs until it went belly up, although we have rarely been convincing.

We just do not need a new manager at this stage although if Pards DID walk then I would appoint Kinsella straight away, our very own Roy Keane!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i dont think there is any real point in judging people before they have had the time to try and do it their way. my real resons for him to be given a full season are

1. when he took over i was genuinly pleased we had got a football playing mgr even though it has only appeared sporadically
    2. he has had to sell a whole team and start again
    3. i dont believe that some of the players have given enough this year nor do i feel that pards has given us everything this season however if next year it still hasnt worked then thanks very much nice try unlucky and we move on again.

And for me Kinsella and Powell as 1 and 2 is a fans dream team but i can garuntee that they will make mistakes and what then change them quick as well we are here for the long haul folks lets just get used to it and move on together
  • Options
    he done 5 years as a player and he'll do 5 years as a manager.

The Alan Pardew Testimonial , Charlton v West Ham/Crystal Palace XI summer 2012.

Guaranteed ;-)
  • Options
    For me I honestly think it has to be the whole season. Lets say he fails up until November of next year, we sack him. We get a new manager in who wants to bring in his own players and wants to run things his way (understandable). We'd all be expecting results after January had been and gone. In January its no secret that players prices are inflated (players who are performing well for teams deemed "smaller" than us i.e Andy Gray -Burnely) and not many decent players are available (Most players in our market/price range would be players out of favour with bottom half Premiership clubs and most of these clubs will want to hold on to them for squad reasons with the tough run-in approaching).
    So lets say our new manager can't make the changes he wants and has a poor start to his reign here we're back to square one again and millions of pounds worse off for our troubles. I also believe Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, I don't think its any coinsidence that most successful teams have been built with time.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Voted for "The manager should remain, and be given until November for signs of improvement". Currently we are playing like a team that deserves to be involved in the relegation dogfight. Even playing like a mid-table team is a improvement in the team at the moment. It may not be an automatic promotion or play-off place but IMO it would count as signs of improvement.
  • Options
    I voted out now. He has been here a season and a half, and in that time took us down from a position that was not hopeless (unlike West Ham looked at Xmas). He has bought Magic, Gray, iwelumo, Paddy, McLeod, Montiero, Moo2, Racon, Weaver, Semedo, Sinclair, Varney ,Thatcher, Todorof, Weaver & ZZ - most of whom have had an entire season to gel, and many are ignored or replaced by mediocre loan players. Yet we still play poor football, Sunday league stuff, despite having the funds to attract the better players in the division. If I could see signs of improvement I would support him but I see none. We play defensive minded full backs but still don't look solid at the back and rely too much on the long ball. How is it going to be different next year? I expect another large turnover of players and no stability or consistency.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    If there was an option to back Pards for the nexttwoseasons, I would've voted for that.

Try SUMMER and AUTUMN.
  • Options
    I bet we could all name the 10 who voted for sack in the summer LOL