Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poll: Management for next season - PLEASE READ

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Difficult for me to decide between the summer or November. In the end, I have gone for November, but worry that my decision is still based more on wishful thinking that he might turn things around rather than a genuine belief that time will make the difference. I can't agree at all with the idea of giving him another season 'whatever' - we must be more ambitious than mid-table Championship mediocrity. I was pleased when he was appointed and fully backed him early on. However, the concerns started to appear towards the end of last season when we seemed to be getting worse rather than better and were unable to push on from a good run - the team 'froze' on several occasions, and seemed to lack confidence/ belief to get results under pressure. OK, plenty of potential reasons for that, and not Pardew's squad, so gave him the benefit of any doubt.

This year has gone from poor start (understandable give the changes)to briefly better (phew) to dire (disaster) - the same issue of lack of progress/ improvement as last season. I believe we have quite a lot of talent in the squad, so it is down to the manager to blend that into a team that gets results and gains confidence. The fact we have used 36 players, our inability to come from behind, our tendency to get worse results the second time we play teams and the complete failure to win a few games in a row are all signs of lack of confidence/ belief again.

The buck has to stop with Pardew. He has run out of excuses. We should not be afraid of change if things patently aren't working. (Should we have kept Ken Craggs?!) Three things are holding me back from voting for a change in the summer - the cost of paying him off, the cost of more upheaval and my lack of knowledge of all that goes on behind the scenes. The Board will be in possession of the full picture on two of those three issues, so I will trust them to make the right decision. On the positive side, keeping him till Nov gives him every opportunity to show whether he can sort things out. Granted a change then means any new manager can't chop and change the squad as much, but Warnock and Mowbray have both proven that a decent manager can get the best out of whatever he has to work with. Too often Pardew seems better at bringing out the worst in them.
  • Options
    i voted fully backed. Im starting to dislike pardew but he knows as well as any one that he said himself he had a 2 year plan and i think the man deserves the chance to finish his plan.
  • Options
    Fully backed for the whole season - mind you I think we should have kept Dowie.

At least no one will be sniffing round him after his lack of success this season - so we could have some stability there.
  • Options
    Fully backed. Unless we're in unimaginable trouble, we should stand by our man.
  • Options
    Give him another season to hopefully see the benefits of some of his hit and miss signings in year 2.

Sacking him now would be harsh but in the cut throat world of football nothing would surprise me, even at Charlton.

Cannot see the point of getting rid mid season, presumably he will wheel and deal in the summer so cant see the point of doing that then replacing him with someone with different ideas and player perceptions.

I have two problems with Pardew, ignoring all the rubbish he spouts regarding fans, away support, where the away fans sit etc etc.

1) From day one against Scunthorpe until now he has failed to sort out a suspect central defence and general defending of set pieces/balls into the box. The number of goals/chances the opposition have had where their player has been unmarked in the box is ridiculous, he needs to sort that out next season and hopefully obtain some funds to buy a top class championship centre back, because we dont have one at the moment.

2) I am not convinced that he has a good eye for a player. £6m spent on 3 strikers this season and bar the odd decent game from Varney, a total waste of money. Had he found 1 decent 20+ goal striker like Curbs did with Hunt and Mendonca then we would probably be comfortably in the play offs.

Just hope Paul Ince hasnt been snapped up by the time we are on the lookout.
  • Options
    Fair couple of constructive points in my book Southend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Fair couple of constructive points in my book Southend.

How are the rest of us meant to behave, when you've just broken your own rule with this post, AFKA ;-)
  • Options
    Give the man the rest of next season and longer if need be, with all the youngsters signed/coming through we should be building a very decent squad (on paper, in theory whatever) and I cannot see any sense in getting rid of the man full stop. Where else has chopping and changing worked?

I don't know why it became fashionable to sack the manager following poor runs of results when it is pretty clear that managers who are shown a bit of faith tend to be more succesful.
  • Options
    Voted for keeping Pardew on before reading the thread expecting to be in a significant minority.

Football emotion leads to less than rational decisions but the benefits of stability are needed to give a decent chance of getting up to the premiership and staying there. Luck plays a big part in football and there are always ups and downs. The longer you stick with a competent manager (and Pardew is competent) the more chance of your time coming round.
    Its not unlike the behaviour of investors who believe things will not change so sell out of the market when its down and panic to get back in when its surging so are always taking losses, foregoing the benefit of a full cycle and spend more time on the slide than the roundabout.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dippenhall[/cite]Voted for keeping Pardew on before reading the thread expecting to be in a significant minority.

Football emotion leads to less than rational decisions but the benefits of stability are needed to give a decent chance of getting up to the premiership and staying there. Luck plays a big part in football and there are always ups and downs. The longer you stick with a competent manager (and Pardew is competent) the more chance of your time coming round.
    Its not unlike the behaviour of investors who believe things will not change so sell out of the market when its down and panic to get back in when its surging so are always taking losses, foregoing the benefit of a full cycle and spend more time on the slide than the roundabout.

I like that analogy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dipps, that's a good post.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    you have to back him,it takes a special manager to get us to where we are now.
  • Options
    with respect its nothing like selling shares, its more like sacking a CEO who's failed two years running, and shows a lot of sign of being incompetent. Don't forget he got sacked from westham..

:)
  • Options
    People are waiting for their pound of flesh. I hear knives being sharpened.........
  • Options
    I don't like Pardew as Charlton manager. Too much "when I was at West Ham" and "the fans don't make enough noise" or "we need supporters behind both goals" - The blokes full of it, his attitude stinks, he keeps falling out with players that he should really be trying to motivate and get the best out of, but he can't (or won't)!
    But strangely I find myself voting for him to be given the whole of next season to sort it out. I can't see any other manager coming in and making much of a difference without wanting to make wholesale changes, and what we need now is stability or we could quite easily just keep on dropping. Pards knows this squad, he knows whats wrong with it and who needs to go and where we need to strengthen.
    I reckon he's hurting, not for Charlton or the fans, but for himself, his reputation isn't improving at the moment and I can't see him being made any offers to jump ship, so he needs to take stock, roll his sleeves up and sort it out.
    Our seasons over now - Just hope he sends all the loanees back (including Lita) and gives some of the fringe players/youth a runout in the Coventry game, the regular 1st team don't deserve to be clapped round the Valley pitch after this season.
  • Options
    Agree with all that cafc79.

Even after yesterday, and the other 10+ 'once a season nightmare performances' that we have grown accustomed to I cannot see the point in getting rid, I think this is a two year plan and Pards has got 3 weeks extra on the 3 sides that choke in the play offs.

Im not expecting Fulham or Derby to be particularly brilliant next season although I think whoever else drops will probably do well so we have a chance to do what West Brom have done this season.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fully agree with cafc79, the anti Pard's brigade will have piped down after we change manager and are then staring championship relegation in the face, besides that who is there to replace him?

Give Pard's time, hopefully he'll sort out the dross, i.e half the team - bring in some more players that speak english, know how to pass ten yard's in front of them and don't take 10 touches of the ball to control the damn thing, and then with a bit of luck we can push on next season to follow in West Brom's steps.

Up The Addick's!
  • Options
    Change will do us no good so keep him based on nothing positive that he has shown me we have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]you have to back him,it takes a special manager to get us to where we are now.

does anyone here ,think they could've done better, remember it's a tough old league , one of the hardest to get out of, he's got his 3 year plan in place, so time will tell and history may end up showing this was a good season!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

does anyone here ,think they could've done better, remember it's a tough old league , one of the hardest to get out of, he's got his 3 year plan in place, so time will tell and history may end up showing this was a good season!

You're playing Devils' Advocate here, Oohaaah............... behave!

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Change will do us no good so keep him based on nothing positive that he has shown me we have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons

Sorry?

Change will do us no good so keep him. Based on nothing positive that he has shown me. We have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons.

OR

Change will do us no good. Keep him based on nothing positive that he has shown me. We have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons

OR

Change will do us no good so keep him based on nothing positive. He has shown me we have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons.

????????????????????

That's confusing.
  • Options
    Change will do us no good so keep him based on nothing positive that he has shown me. He has shown me feck all Jim

however we have had enough change for 2 clubs in the last 2 seasons so i do not feel that changing again will equal Improvement

I apologise for my grammer and pronounciation i appologise if it falls below your required level how ever this is a forum not an exam
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Interestingly the 'pards out brigade' can only 'lose' if he succeeds. If he is sacked or leaves and is replaced by someone who gets us relegated instead or not promoted, it can be claimed the wrong man was installed again.
  • Options
    I make you right, Razil. And some people have to be careful they don't get what they wish for ..........(!)
    You have only got to look at the last 2 or 3 seasons to see what I mean.

At the PTY, WSS said Big Chris told him pre-season the squad were 'on fire' We need to get that spirt and belief back in the club. If Pardew did it last summer, we must at least allow him the chance to do it again.

Today, there has been a positive buzz about the Board's marketing initiative re season tickets.
    We need to build on that and play our part in helping the club to once again go forward.
  • Options
    despite that I think I'm part of the brigade but not as a knee jerk thing.

I see he's still suggesting Reid's sale was a financial thing, doesn't really add up that the board were 'forced' to sell him, they had a plan this season and Reid was part of it, so who went off plan?

If he refused to play for us without a wage increase or something else, but this 'explanation' just doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    Perhaps, Raz - but whatever the reason, Reidy's gone now and we missed promotion.
    So nothing is going to change that now.

I know you're part of the Angry Brigade, but Pards is not really likely to be sacked in the near future and I doubt if he would currently walk either.

So if he's here for another season or 15 years, we owe it to the club to back him., at least for now.

As everybody knows, by our own expectations, this season has been a huge disappointment - but you never know what's round the corner. Kins in the interview thread speaks highly of him and so have other people/players within the club - so maybe this season was just one of those where it all screws up and desperation just makes it worse.

Curbs had a season like that, too - and the next year lead us to Prem promotion at Wembley,.
    Let's just see how it unfolds ........
  • Options
    agreed just like people to admit there mistakes, hold your hands up and confess get a lot more respect from me.

Anyway no more Mr Angry.. (till next time)

:D