Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

st georges day

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2008
    I have to provide my first "sample" on St George's day, to check if the snip worked.

I shall definitely be thinking patriotic thoughts (also of Girls Aloud mudwrestling) as I perform the task
  • Options
    alot of charlton faces get in Bexley
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Was that sarcasm or a dig?

If you understand the joke it's sarcasm, if you don't it's a dig...

In a word...COCK.

Stay in Germany and don't come back.

Good to see your sense of humour bypass was a success...
  • Options
    nice one DA9
  • Options
    :-) Cheers D
  • Options
    Think It may be the Rochester Mile for our annual St George's Day P*ss up !
  • Options
    http://marchforengland.awardspace.co.uk/

Get down to Brighton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]I have tp provide my first "sample" on St George's day, to check if the snip worked.

I shall definitely be thinking patriotic thoughts (also of Girls Aloud mudwrestling) as I perform the task

hahahah. made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Bad Manners at the Water Rats in Kings Cross that night - should be cracking.

PS Churchill wanted most of the working classes sterilised you know to preserve the 'stock' ;-)
  • Options
    hmmm - any chance you could whisper that if it was meant to be a whisper. ta.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done the last 2 years in Bexley myself. Good mix of young and old there. For obvious reasons wont be as many youngsters as the last couple of years and I am unable to make it as im in Manc but should still be a good turn out.
  • Options
    Doing this year in Greenwich, good selection of eateries and pubs, going to be great
  • Options
    I've cocked up this year's celebrations by having to attend a meeting in Scotland on Thursday morning which means travelling up on St George's Day.But it could have an interesting slant having a few brews in celebration with the Jocks...Och Aye Jimmy ...Hoots mon and all that jazz!
  • Options
    Solid last year a couple of the Dundee lads were out and about with us as wella ss another scottish fella. Its should be a celebration and party for all shouldnt it ? cant ever say i have been told i cant have a beer on St Pats Day so the more the merrier ! Let us know if you see anything about it in the land where the men wear skirts.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Solid last year a couple of the Dundee lads were out and about with us as wella ss another scottish fella. Its should be a celebration and party for all shouldnt it ? cant ever say i have been told i cant have a beer on St Pats Day so the more the merrier ! Let us know if you see anything about it in the land where the men wear skirts.[/quote]

Saw V the other week in Welling, for gods sake never ever ever let him near a karaoke again!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    My lad goes to a catholic school called St Georges with a feck off great statue of the man and his alleged foe taking pride of place in the foyer despite 90% of the population being of Irish desent including my lad the only Day that is allowed to be diffrent is St Georges Day where the school rules are Red and White day.

I love it makes me proud of the school and every kid knows more about the traditions of that day than most grown ups

I salute you St Georges ROC In Enfield well bloody done
  • Options
    I will be in the Oak in Bickley drinking whatever English beer they have and celebrating the saints day of my country.

I like the fact that he was from what is now Turkey. Englishness for me is about a lot more than St George anyway. There was an England a long time before he was adopted by our French king.

Rather than moaning about why isn't it a holiday (which I think it should be) lets celebrate what we like about England

For me that is:
    The language
    The tolerance
    The liberal democracy
    The sense of fair play
    Inventing sports
    Being the only people other than the Yanks for can really do pop music
    The Beer
    The countryside (although not most of the people who own it)
    The coast

Our warlike history. Dornitz (I think), the WWII German admiral once described England as a Warlike nation. An Englishman challenged him that surely German was a more warlike nation. "no" Dornitz, replied. "The Germans are a military nation, the English are warlike."

There is a forgotten -
    nay almost forbidden word,
    . . . . a word which means more to me than any other. . . .
    That word is
    "ENGLAND"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

I see this quoted a lot but have never seen a proper reference for it. When did WC say it (he'd died in 1965 so must have been before that.) and in what context? Anyone got a proper quote and date for it?
  • Options
    Straight to Greenwich after work for English ales until I go pop. Can't wait...
  • Options
    When is 'Girls Aloud Mudwrestling' Day??

I'd vote for that.
  • Options
    If our baby is born tomorrow and it's a boy, we're going to change its middle name to George.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "
    Saw V the other week in Welling, for gods sake never ever ever let him near a karaoke again!!!!! "

few suprises that night. Never knew Big C was so talented.
  • Options
    My 2 favourite Churchill quotes are

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”
  • Options
    England means to me :

*The language
    *Defending the weak----never forget "there is a corner of a forign field that will be for ever England"
    *Stonehenge. wow there is a spirit in that place and i only have to veiw it to know that.
    *Cliffs of Dover
    *Trade Unions. We owe them so much.
    *kinship.
    *Agincourt
    *Waterloo
    *Hastings
    *Rock bands. We piss the World
    *Democracy.
    *Beer
    *Sing song

saw Billy Brags article in the Evening Gooner. Looks like St Georges Day and the fight for an English Voice could be trendy and lefty soon. When the left realise being proud of your nation is not racist, hating other nations is racist. When they realise that for 40 years they have practised reverse racism on the English then maybe we can move forward. saying things like you cant define the English and what it means is bollox. Would these people say the same about Africans ?
  • Options
    England means to me all of the above GH and well put together but also our Monarchy those traditions are what keeps England sacred to me.

when i asked a peaceful man why he went to war he told me although he never agreed to the starting of two christian countries fighting he owed an allegence to his monarch as did his father who fought in the great war that man was my grandfather and he was a man who i would never have questioned i have him in a picture in my living room with his RAF uniform on the day he married my dear old nan.

we should never forget those that fall nor should we forget our history good and bad, Bad to remind us not to that again and good to rejoyce and pass on to others. i dont think i ever heard a truer statement.
  • Options
    GH for PM

Sure i said the same thing 2-3 years back on Netaddicks LOL

DA9 as his number 2

MAke Britain a proud place again
  • Options
    I'm all for celebrating being English, but Saints, just how quaint and backward is that? Why not have a Brunel day or a Churchill day or a Shakespeare Day (on the 23rd). Celebrate someone English who did something tangible that we can all feel proud to be associated with, not some semi-mythical character about whom very little of the real historical person is know.
  • Options
    Good point Harvey, But for now we have St. George, and I shall be decorating Floyds with St. Georges flags to celebrate the day. He is also the patron saint of Portugal, but I don't recall them ever doing much, surprising really 'cos they have bank holiday at the drop of a hat over here.
  • Options
    Fair enough Algarve. I guess even if we did decide as a nation to go for a more contemporary character to be the national figurehead, no-one would agree which one anyway.
  • Options
    That would be the problem Harvey. It could not be anyone political for that very reason. Shakespeare is a good idea, as we wouldn't have to change the date, and Brunel was my vote in that greatest Briton thingy on the beeb a few years ago.

Personally I would go for Stephen Fry day. Back to back QI from dawn 'til dusk... LOL
  • Options
    We could call it Fryday.