Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

st georges day

13»

Comments

• Options
    Happy St. George's day everyone!
  • Options
    Happy St George's Day fellow Addicks!

xx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Happy St George's Day fellow Addicks!

xx

Amen to that...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I will be in the Oak in Bickley drinking whatever English beer they have and celebrating the saints day of my country.

I like the fact that he was from what is now Turkey. Englishness for me is about a lot more than St George anyway. There was an England a long time before he was adopted by our French king.

Rather than moaning about why isn't it a holiday (which I think it should be) lets celebrate what we like about England

For me that is:
    The language
    The tolerance
    The liberal democracy
    The sense of fair play
    Inventing sports
    Being the only people other than the Yanks for can really do pop music
    The Beer
    The countryside (although not most of the people who own it)
    The coast

Our warlike history. Dornitz (I think), the WWII German admiral once described England as a Warlike nation. An Englishman challenged him that surely German was a more warlike nation. "no" Dornitz, replied. "The Germans are a military nation, the English are warlike."

There is a forgotten -
    nay almost forbidden word,
    . . . . a word which means more to me than any other. . . .
    That word is
    "ENGLAND"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

I see this quoted a lot but have never seen a proper reference for it. When did WC say it (he'd died in 1965 so must have been before that.) and in what context? Anyone got a proper quote and date for it?[/quote]

Last time I researched it, it was 46 or 47 I believe, one of my favourite quotes.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]GH for PM

Sure i said the same thing 2-3 years back on Netaddicks LOL

DA9 as his number 2

MAke Britain a proud place again[/quote]

I couldn't take the pay cut fella..LOL
  • Options
    Happy St Georges Day everyone !
  • Options
    I wish you all a happy St Georges day have a few beers and cheers all day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA_9[/cite]

Last time I researched it, it was 46 or 47 I believe, one of my favourite quotes.

OK, but what is the context? Just after WWII, he's out of power. Who was he addressing?

And if it was over 60 years ago Goonerhater can't really blame the trendy lefties or political correctness can he ; - )

Most likely Churchill (only half English) was complaining about the Trade Unions and suggesting again that the army machine gun them down if they don't go back to work. : - )
  • Options
    perhaps he was leader of her majestys opposition at the time? Didn't he get back in 1951-55
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard a classic on the radio this morning, a woman bieing interviewed was asked for her opinion on St Georges day celebrations, said "I`m all for it, the scots have St Andrews, the welsh have St Davids, the irish have St Patricks, why shouldn`t the BRITISH have St George`s day, with that the office turned and screamed at the radio in unison WE`RE ENGLISH you soppy tart.

Happy St George`s day to one and all.
  • Options
    Had a Fab day out with Medders/Stu/WSS/Carter/Gumbo we successfully completed the 'Rochester Mile' yesterday, drink in every pub along the High street. Gotta say feel pretty rough at the moment but well worth it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Had a Fab day out with Medders/Stu/WSS/Carter/Gumbo we successfully completed the 'Rochester Mile' yesterday, drink in every pub along the High street. Gotta say feel pretty rough at the moment but well worth it.

Drove into Rochester on Sunday night out of boredom, never drank there before, very quiet, went in the Crown by the bridge, every other pub was empty, only stayed for 1 pint and drove home again to Dartford for a bag of chips, the castle looked interesting though with the night lights etc.
  • Options
    i was in allhallows sunday da9,was in a pub called the british pilot,lovely round there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Had a Fab day out with Medders/Stu/WSS/Carter/Gumbo we successfully completed the 'Rochester Mile' yesterday, drink in every pub along the High street. Gotta say feel pretty rough at the moment but well worth it.

I feel pretty good mate to be honest. Must of been the good old English ale.... serves you right for drinking that Australian sh*te ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

I feel pretty good mate to be honest. Must of been the good old English ale.... serves you right for drinking that Australian sh*te ;-)

Try getting into work before 9.00am :-) I wonder if Dicko & Stu were having a party ala Alan Pardew last night !