Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It all went wrong when reidy left...

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Andy Reid was by far one of are most skillful players who was premiership standard but was content with playing in a Championship side. When we got rid of him (for 4mil) i believe are results took a turn for the worst he left on the last day of the january transfer window and since then out of 14 games we have won 3 drew 5 and lost 7 this might just be unlucky or it might be because we no longer have any real, skillful players left and lack of determination. Under reidys captaincy this season we won 12 drew 8 and lost 8 (however he was injured for most of the season) yet Pardew may have got away with selling him if he was a cronk however reidy was coming back from injury and a few days later made his first-team debut for sunderland! Bad choice maybe?

Comments

• Options
    never!!
  • Options
    'He had to be sold or further redundancies would of happened'.
  • Options
    i think the players gave up when he went they havent been the same since
  • Options
    Sorry Pete who said that ? i was at the shareholders meeting when Murray was asked about Reid in his own words he said " Sunderland offered Reid 3 times what we were paying. He asked us if we could match it we couldnt".
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pardew is quoted as saying it (watch it though you get slammed for criticising Pardew's spin/bullshit on here)

:)

any player expecting to leave in the transfer window should be told - you can only go if we have an adequate replacement lined up, otherwise you have to wait for the summer. Selling to Sunderland basically kept them up and us down.

Pardew's lack of tacticul nous and failing to address weaknesses in the team compounded this loss though. Reid was paper over the cracks. He simply isn't what we thought he was, shame. I really think him staying would be a big mistake for all concerned.
  • Options
    i hope he walks,i think he may well do thankfully.
  • Options
    Reid would have made no difference. we were shyte with him too.

the team is full of mid to lower championship or lower players eg McCarthy, Sodje, Halford, Iwelumo, Varney etc all which pardew brought in
  • Options
    I think Reid would have made the difference in a tight league as it was, assuming he stayed fit, problem is he was literally all we had in terms of supply, no wonder we couldn't score goals and that was the main problem.
  • Options
    Reid could open a defence up.he was head and shoulders above anyone in that team..........
  • Options
    he could open a defence up away when opposition defenders were pushing forward and he had space to hit, but at home he was as clueless as the rest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thing was we had just beaten Stoke and deserved to beat Stoke. They tried to out muscle us but we wouldnt have it. for the first time in this season i thought we had turned the corner. 4 days later we sold our best player, the affect on the whole club seems to have been drastic.

We also have to look fully at the way we treat our injured and geting them fit. Reid wasnt in our squad but when transfered he went straight into Sunderlands squad and came on. So how come he wasnt even in our squad ?
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    On this board didnt someone who spoke to danny mills said that mills said the sale of reid hit the squad badly. When Reid was injured Ledge said that he is going and was adament that Reidy was going.
  • Options
    Simply the best player in the squad by a country mile, possibly the best player in the league but due to money pressures the board sold. Of course Sunderland offered more money but that close to the window closing it should have been turned down or a better offer should have been taken. By accepting the board weakened the squad and are now paying the price.

The club has never recovered from selling Parker (although this I accept was due to the players determination to go) and a chance to avert the slide that has occured since was missed due to a bad error on the boards part.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]Simply the best player in the squad by a country mile, possibly the best player in the league but due to money pressures the board sold. Of course Sunderland offered more money but that close to the window closing it should have been turned down or a better offer should have been taken. By accepting the board weakened the squad and are now paying the price.

The club has never recovered from selling Parker (although this I accept was due to the players determination to go) and a chance to avert the slide that has occured since was missed due to a bad error on the boards part.

Yes, it's all the board's fault, you're quite right. Spot on. 100%.

Jesus...
  • Options
    Nobody's has mentioned the effect of losing Todorov so early in the season.

The guy's first touch, vision and general footballing intelligence was sublime.

Big loss and equally as damaging as losing Reidy.

But, of course, Reidy was a bit of a talisman in the Charlton squad. So maybe that bit of belief evaporated with his sale.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    Yes, it's all the board's fault, you're quite right. Spot on. 100%.

Jesus...

Yes it is all the board's fault and perhaps it is THEY who should walk.
  • Options
    Oh god - Charlie's here
  • Options
    And if we still lost

People would have said Pards was wrong and we should have off loaded him when we could
  • Options
    or he should have replaced him,instead of two forwards and a defender
  • Options
    Reid was a big loss but the root cause of this seasons failure and the previous seasons decline is that we haven't had a dominating central midfielder. That's why we should have broken the bank to sign/loan Song at the start of the season. Until we get that position sorted we've no chance of doing anything in this division.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, maybe we should board should walk, then we can get in some crazy americans or people from the far east who have no affinity with us.

Then they can bicker and fight with each other and have an unworkable relationship, and get the club in a load of debt.

Then they can undermine the manager we have in charge.

Then they can bugger off with no guilt and leave a wreck of a club behind.

Sounds great.
  • Options
    yep lets be happy with our lot never complain and be happy,enjoy this wonderfull rollercoaster on this magical ride
  • Options
    Razil is spot on.

With Reidy we had a chance of promotion......without hin we had no chance.

I was there today and there is only one word to say.............embarrasing.

Embarrasing to hear fans shouting at each other

Embarrising to hear fans mocking their own manager

Embarrasing to watch a team so lacking in ideas

Embarrasing to hear fans chearing your first shot on target after 85 mins

Embarrasing to walk away from a game knowing that the opposition supporters must wonder why we were so expectant.
  • Options
    Embarrasing to finish mid table in a very poor league
  • Options
    some people are so blinkered,they would call this a success. good luck to them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]some people are so blinkered,they would call this a success. good luck to them.

who ?

i haven't heard or seen one.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone would call this a success. Nor do I think anyone is happy with the way things have gone this year.
  • Options
    The basic question is we are 7 points from playoffs, so would Reid have provided the quality to give us the extra 7 points? I think he certainly would have done.

However, it still doesn't detract that the rest of the team is far from decent quality.
  • Options
    The board need to come up with something because this current squad is not good enough and it wouldnt be any better if Wegner or Benitez or anyone else for that matter was in charge of it.

But where does that leave us I for the life of me can't find anyone who we could sell for decent money to re invest in the team .

And if the board have no funds to take us forward or back to the level we were maybe it is time for a change at the top.

The board have been fantastic for our football club but everyone has a shelf life and given the mistakes of the last couple of years maybe that time has come.

It's a tough one .