Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It all went wrong when reidy left...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite][url=http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=12976]golfie called it well[/url][/quote]

wait for the aplogies golfie oh every thing is ok every single one of you who gave him stick after today shame on the lot of you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]some people are so blinkered,they would call this a success. good luck to them.

who ?

i haven't heard or seen one.

so we are unanimous in that losing curbs and getting pardew has been a complete and utter disaster that could not have been more ballsed up if we had tried and that this is not an exciting league at all,but a very piss poor one indeed.

thanks for putting me right,i have just been reading it all wrong.
  • Options
    plenty afka
  • Options
    people at one time where scared to say anything anti pardew even gettig told off
  • Options
    Oggy I agree with you, losing Toddy was a big loss . I'm not disputing the fact that Reid was an equally big loss but as you said this has not been mentioned as much as the sale of Reidy. Personally I will still give Pards time, we have had to rebuild a lot of the squad this year, ok some have been bad buys but I for one still agree with the "two year plan"
  • Options
    hes nearly done a year and a half
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Gallagher[/cite]The board need to come up with something because this current squad is not good enough and it wouldnt be any better if Wegner or Benitez or anyone else for that matter was in charge of it.

But where does that leave us I for the life of me can't find anyone who we could sell for decent money to re invest in the team .

And if the board have no funds to take us forward or back to the level we were maybe it is time for a change at the top.

The board have been fantastic for our football club but everyone has a shelf life and given the mistakes of the last couple of years maybe that time has come.

It's a tough one .
    Hello Frank, welcome to Charlton Life.

Yes it's a tough one. Maybe they need a new impetus but haven't we just had a change of Chairman? The current board have also invested £14m in the club recently.
  • Options
    nolly, I was referring to the two year plan to get us back up, so in talking about that it's not even a year yet. little bit podantic there for my liking
  • Options
    i know being tricky sorry.
  • Options
    I take no glory is saying "I told you so" - and i expect if anyone cares to check posts around transfer deadline day will fiind me saying something similar.

Oh to be at the Bromley CASC meeting next month when Mr Murray attends. Unfortunately I have been "banned" by the other members of my family as I have in the past had the audacity to post his comments on here and get people into trouble. Never mind - hopefully someone else will have the balls to ask the awkward questions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too much is made of certain players leaving.
    Reid did nothing for us really, he may have done if he stayed.
    Far too many hang onto the Parker/Jensen idea.
    There is only one player we should have kept over the past 10 years that would really have made that much difference and that is Jermaine DeFoe. LOCKED ON.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Too much is made of certain players leaving.
    Reid did nothing for us really, he may have done if he stayed.
    Far too many hang onto the Parker/Jensen idea.
    There is only one player we should have kept over the past 10 years that would really have made that much difference and that is Jermaine DeFoe. LOCKED ON.

what about Mark McCammon? scored today & will possibly be strutting his stuff at The Valley next year with Donny Rovers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I take no glory is saying "I told you so" - and i expect if anyone cares to check posts around transfer deadline day will fiind me saying something similar.

Oh to be at the Bromley CASC meeting next month when Mr Murray attends. Unfortunately I have been "banned" by the other members of my family as I have in the past had the audacity to post his comments on here and get people into trouble. Never mind - hopefully someone else will have the balls to ask the awkward questions.

At what other club do you get an opportunity for the Chairman to speak frankly and openly to fans but on the basis what is said
    is not recorded or put into print. After the last 2 seasons we have had I am sure awkward questions will be put and I am pretty sure they will be answered with integrity and honesty. I think Mr Murray has earned and deserves our respect whatever the failings of the last 2 years.
  • Options
    I'd like to know how the conversation between Murray and Pards went when Reid was sold.
  • Options
    Watching Reid on MOTD2 tonight, you could see what we have missed. I have to say I was OK about him going because I assumed we were going to play with pace down the flanks and through the middle. Instead we have reverted to one full back who doesn't cross the halfway line and the other full bck who cannot cross a ball to save his life. We have sacrificed Varney for Gray/Big Chris and are lumping it high again. We could have managed without Reid but not the way Pards set the team up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Watching Reid on MOTD2 tonight, you could see what we have missed. I have to say I was OK about him going because I assumed we were going to play with pace down the flanks and through the middle. Instead we have reverted to one full back who doesn't cross the halfway line and the other full bck who cannot cross a ball to save his life. We have sacrificed Varney for Gray/Big Chris and are lumping it high again. We could have managed without Reid but not the way Pards set the team up.

my sentimance exactely
  • Options
    It all comes back to the team manager his signings have been shocking, as has his chopping and changing of the team.
  • Options
    All teams had to do was get tight on our midfield. After that we never had any ideas and no central midfielder who would come and pick the ball up and push us up the pitch with a run. I'm not talking about taking it past people either, just the way that Jensen/Parker/Stuart/Reid used to do it. It seems that these days, when we need one of our players to do such a job they just hide. And hoof goes the ball up the pitch.
  • Options
    its called a: lack of class...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]some people are so blinkered,they would call this a success. good luck to them.

who ?

i haven't heard or seen one.

so we are unanimous in that losing curbs and getting pardew has been a complete and utter disaster that could not have been more ballsed up if we had tried and that this is not an exciting league at all,but a very piss poor one indeed.

thanks for putting me right,i have just been reading it all wrong.
    '

I think dan's point as you well know (as you're not a complete idiot are you) is that no one is calling this season a success which was your original point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Goonerhater makes the key point earlier on this thread.

We had just beaten Stoke and the board thought they could have their cake and eat it - ie get to the play-offs at least (maybe even have a shot at automatic) and sell Reid to get the £4m in the bank.

But for me the difference was that against Stoke we had Moo2 and Youga at full-backs giving us pace and width - once they were replaced by hapless Halford and then Thatcher we had no pace and width nor creativity in the centre-mid.

Hindsight is easy but clearly the board made a mistake...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]I think Goonerhater makes the key point earlier on this thread.

We had just beaten Stoke and the board thought they could have their cake and eat it - ie get to the play-offs at least (maybe even have a shot at automatic) and sell Reid to get the £4m in the bank.

But for me the difference was that against Stoke we had Moo2 and Youga at full-backs giving us pace and width - once they were replaced by hapless Halford and then Thatcher we had no pace and width nor creativity in the centre-mid.

Lets get one thing straight on the Reid issue. as far as my extremely good contact tells me the decision to sell reid was pardews idea, his decision and merely ratified by the board at Pardews request.
  • Options
    Interesting.

If that's the case, then it was a huge error of judgement (arrogance?) on his behalf.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have never herd that it was Pardew idea to sell Reid. When Murray was asked about Reid at the shareholders meeting he never gave any indication at all it was Pardews idea. The way i understood what was said was, Sunderland wanted Reid they made him a very good offer and the Board thought it was a good offer for a player who hadnt played that much. I dont agree but i think the timing of this sale was awful.
    Still no chance of any Prem team nicking our players this pre season as they are all sh*t.
  • Options
    What a lot of peopl ehave to bloody realise is if we had blocked the move Reidy would have had the hump and probablty wouldn't have been the same player. It's easy to blame Pardew and te board but did we have a choice. Reid has said Keane is a massive hero of his and the chance to play for him was too good to turn down blah blah blah.

So in hindsight it was a bad decision but was it one we could avoid REALLY .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

Agree 100%
  • Options
    "Hindsight is easy but clearly the board made a mistake..."

Don't be so hard on the board, they haven't made *any* mistakes over the last few years, and they got us back to The Valley, remember.... ;-)

The buck stops at the top.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]What a lot of peopl ehave to bloody realise is if we had blocked the move Reidy would have had the hump and probablty wouldn't have been the same player. It's easy to blame Pardew and te board but did we have a choice. Reid has said Keane is a massive hero of his and the chance to play for him was too good to turn down blah blah blah.

So in hindsight it was a bad decision but was it one we could avoid REALLY .[/quote]

Agree 100% Ledge. There was no way we could have kept Reid and had the same player that we had before he was injured.

You can just imagine it can't you? If he had a few bad games there would have been a few on here telling him to feck off to Sunderland because his heart wasn't with us and saying that we should have cashed in when we had the chance.
  • Options
    There were rumours coming out from Sunderland fans that they had 'bagged' Andy Reid in early December.

There is more to this story I am sure. If its also true that Sunderland trebled his wages I cant see we could have come out of this with keeping a motivated Reid. Sunderland who now look like staying in the Prem may not have come back for him a second time around. It was just like Parker round 2. And I think this is something we will need to get used too in terms of the current state of Charltons footballing and financial strength.

I also think that as good as Andy Reid is the rest of the squad have played so inconsistently and badly all season (exceptions I know) that we were simply not good enough for promotion with or without him.