Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holland to stay, Thatcher to go...

edited April 2008 in Rumours
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1772_3464275,00.html

he 34-year-old midfielder, named the club's player of the year, is out of contract at the end of the season but has spelt out his desire to stay in south London and help the Addicks return to the Premier League.

"There haven't been any talks. It was all put on the back burner until we knew where we were next season," Holland told the club's official website.

"But we know our destiny now, so I'm sure I'll be sitting down with the manager over the next couple of weeks to see where we go from there. I want to stay here.

--------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=561469&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Crystal Palace, Southampton and QPR will battle it out for the signature of Charlton defender Ben Thatcher.

-------

Thatcher can go. Matty can stay. also hope we don't sign Halford and let Youga and Yassin start next season.

Comments

• let them both go
  • I would not mind Matty staying as an off the bench and squad player, but would not want him to have the same run of games again. Like Chrissy he is one who has left his best days behind him and should not be a mainstay of the future promotion push.

Would definetly like to see Kelly start next season, but am not so sure about Moo2
  • keep Matty to aid Shelvey into the big time he would learn alot from Matty on how to handle himself during and before games we cant go to young in midfield and i dont think Semedo or ZZ would be able to give him that senior pro cuddle when things go wrong like they will in certain games.

I will say this though Muzza Pards no matter who or how much is offered keep Shelvey we dont need the money like we did with Bowyer we could have a player here to build a team around
  • thatcher's been crap if we are honest. But i'd keep Hollan
  • I think Hollands performances this year should earn him another contract, great pro, but I agree purely as a squad player and there to help the younsters...ala Shelvey
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]let them both go

Agreed.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]I think Hollands performances this year should earn him another contract, great pro, but I agree purely as a squad player and there to help the younsters...ala Shelvey

Well said lad.
  • edited April 2008
    The problem with our defensive midfielders this season has been that they're all sweeping types who take a step back to tidy up/harry rather than a forward step to go into a full bloodied challenge. With that in mind i'd like to say thankyou but goodbye to Matt and use his considerable salary on a more aggressive midfielder. We can't go into another season with such lightweight enforcers (same goes for Semedo), especially when we play equally lightweight attacking midfielders next to them (Ambrose and ZZ). This is the position that will define our season so Pardew better get it right this time.
  • Its time for Pards to be rutheless and really push the 1st teamers now by bringing in competition for places. We currently have too many 'squad' players and not enough quality challenging for regular 1st team action.

I reckon let Holland go, we can't offer him 1st team football every week and he must be on a nice little earner, unless hes prepared to take 'bench' player wages, then keep him for his experience.

But by far the most consistent this season, a true pro!
  • Holland took a big pay cut last summer in order to stay. I think you'll find he's on no more than £10k pw
  • Sponsored links:

• 5k i think
  • I would like Holland to stay - if nothing else because of his exemplary attitude both on and off the pitch.

As regards Thatcher, well I was pretty ambivolent about us signing him and I'm pretty ambivolent if he goes or stays. On balance I wouldn't stand in his way.
  • I agree that his attitude is great and i've got nothing against the fella but he hasn't bossed a midfield all season and that's what we need. With Semedo and maybe Basey contenders for that role why carry another defensive midfielder who's best days were at Ipswich?
  • Holland has to be thanked profusely for his efforts for CAFC and then politely shown the door.

AS discussed previously, wholehearted though his efforts, his presence in the centre of midfield is one of the things preventing anything dynamic coming from there and as stated above his wages will be too high (even on reduced terms) to justify using him as a squad/bench player.

Thanks Matt but it's time for us to move on...
  • why weren't we very dynamic when he was out of the team then? Think he deserves a contract on this season, if for helping the youngsters alone next season.
  • Let them all go.
  • edited April 2008
    Helping with the youngsters? What do we have coaching staff for?

There is no footballing reason for keeping Matt Holland. You can spout about his attitude and committment as much as you like but in terms of performance he has never been anything more than average in the whole time he's been with us. When you have as little influence on a game as he does attitude and commitment is the least you should expect.

Get rid.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I agree that his attitude is great and i've got nothing against the fella but he hasn't bossed a midfield all season and that's what we need. With Semedo and maybe Basey contenders for that role why carry another defensive midfielder who's best days were at Ipswich?

Holland, Basey, Semedo are not midffield bosses, whoever fills thast role is not yet at the club. Holland has never been a midfield boss, rather the player that sweeps up and links, so if last season he was not the player we needed then that was the managements fault, not his. But his time as a 1st team player has gone, probably two years ago, again the faulkt oof the management. He would be a good bench player to bring on and use his experience to close down a game.
  • edited April 2008
    how can we say that the guy who won player of the year should go yet players like semedo who did nothing apart from one game at right back stays. If the issue is to bolster the midfield then we need to sell players of value.

Matty is not on a high wage nor would it do us any harm to keep him, sell thomas and Ambrose generate funds and give semedo more time to settle.

sell Thatcher
    Fortune
    Thomas
    Ambrose
    Weaver
    raise some much needed cash you know what you get with Holland and to be honest without him we would be dropping again or why else did he get player of the year in such a cack season i think he is getting some very poor respect for his efforts on here i couldnt think of a better man to teach young pros on what it would take as a profesional and allow him to be more effective by reducing his games we have a high foriegn player count in our team and we need those guys to understand the game too who better than matty
  • Sponsored links:

• gut the whole lot out.cull them
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]how can we say that the guy who won player of the year should go yet players like semedo who did nothing apart from one game at right back stays. If the issue is to bolster the midfield then we need to sell players of value.

Matty is not on a high wage nor would it do us any harm to keep him, sell thomas and Ambrose generate funds and give semedo more time to settle.

sell Thatcher
    Fortune
    Thomas
    Ambrose
    Weaver
    raise some much needed cash you know what you get with Holland and to be honest without him we would be dropping again or why else did he get player of the year in such a cack season i think he is getting some very poor respect for his efforts on here i couldnt think of a better man to teach young pros on what it would take as a profesional and allow him to be more effective by reducing his games we have a high foriegn player count in our team and we need those guys to understand the game too who better than matty

Good post, NLA.

I believe some people discount the influence of senior pro's on the training ground and in the dressing room.

Also, there seems to be some sort of mentoring system in the squad, senior pro's helping to bring on the young player who's been specifically assigned to them.
  • Top post NLA, totally agree
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]why weren't we very dynamic when he was out of the team then? Think he deserves a contract on this season, if for helping the youngsters alone next season.

If you look at some of the performances which now stand out as the best of the season (ie winning away to Palace and Hull - teams in the play-off spots) then the midfield was Semedo, Reid and Zheng with no Holland in sight

or winning away to Cardiff - midfield was Racon, Reid and Zheng - no Holland again
  • but there was reid
  • Holland never won us many games agreed but i bet he stopped us loosing more than Reid, ZZ, Racon, Semedo combined

the days of Holland being the driving force from midfield stopped an age ago everyone knows we need a tough tackling ball winning central midfielder who bags 10 goals a season possibly more in this league unfortunatly for every one of those you need millions and you also need a Matty Holland alongside.

believe me i thought Semedo was going to be super for us this season in the few pre season games i saw but the guy gives away fouls and balls in very dangerous areas in league games and we can not have him and Shelvey as the main partnership and i think just from Pards comments alone and our financial state Shelvey will play alot of games next season
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Holland never won us many games agreed but i bet he stopped us loosing more than Reid, ZZ, Racon, Semedo combined

the days of Holland being the driving force from midfield stopped an age ago everyone knows we need a tough tackling ball winning central midfielder who bags 10 goals a season possibly more in this league unfortunatly for every one of those you need millions and you also need a Matty Holland alongside.

believe me i thought Semedo was going to be super for us this season in the few pre season games i saw but the guy gives away fouls and balls in very dangerous areas in league games and we can not have him and Shelvey as the main partnership and i think just from Pards comments alone and our financial state Shelvey will play alot of games next season

It's interesting that Semedo was getting rave reviews until he was paired up with Holland.

Holland is being carried and and the likes of Semedo and ZZ are suffering because they are having to do his donkey work.
  • edited April 2008
    Do you seriously believe that BDL, Semedo's best games was at right back. If Matty was not there we would have lost more games i think Semedo was found out and looked out of his depth at times. ZZ suffered due to fatigue he played far too much football because of his commitments to his national team i wouldnt have thought it is hollands fault at all
  • Semedo was excellent until Holland displace him just in November.
  • but why would he displace him if semedo was excellent i remember commenting on here that we needed matty in midfield back then i know pards has fecked up this year but i cant see him pulling semedo out of the team if he was playing so well