Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ronnie get's 147

Comments

• Yea, but Rodders, he will get prize money if he wins the competition.
  • When O Sullivan was 16 Stephen Hendry was told there was a promising kid breaking through. So he went to watch him practice and as yesterday he was on a 147 break and left the black. Amazing arrogance and confidence for a 16 year old.

Yesterday I thought he had a point and created the situation where he could get his point across. Only he has the ability to do what he did the way he did it. Amazing talent! Can't help thinking he could have done a lot better in his career with that talent though.
  • Just watched the whole break, incredible.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Yea, but Rodders, he will get prize money if he wins the competition.

If he wins. He doesn't win all the time.

I think he knows what buttons to push. He likes to wind people up bit.
    If thats how he wants to conduct himself and come across as a bit of a cock thats up to him. Shame really if I was him I would want to be known as a talented snooker player and not as an arrogant showman.
  • Maybe John Higgins text him and said he would give him 5k if he didnt get the 147
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Yea, but Rodders, he will get prize money if he wins the competition.

If he wins.He doesn't win all the time.

Exactly my point - let me put it another way: prize money is normally given to the winners. Do the FA give out prizes during the FA Cup early round matches for hat-tricks or cleans sheets? I don't think so.

Hey, maybe it was a betting scam - there's some Asian tearing up a betting slip as we speak!
  • Betting scams in snooker?

Never ;-)
  • I love rocket ronnie, i havent seen the incident but just find it funny good way to put your point accross too

I played my first match of the season last night was toilet, should really practice leading up the season lol
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Think I agree with Ronnie on this one.

Think of the time and dedication it has taken to perfect that natural talent and £4k for that level of skill and entertainment is a pittance in relative terms. Couple of grand after tax.

Lots of money to most of us but think of the money he generates in tv revenue and for the sponsors and the organisers when he turns up to play so i think he has a point when others will be making a mint off his skill.

When you think of what the average championship and some 3rd division footballers earn for sitting on the bench at some clubs and being average or mediocre players i can see why someone who is world class at another sport/ game gets the hump for getting paid a relative pittance for doing something similar to scoring a hat trick in a cup final.

It might be a pittance to you Rodney, but to the average working person that's a months wages even after tax. This shows exactly what is wrong with modern sport, that this stuck up tosser can write off what's is in reality a sizeable chunk of money. It sounds like he's more than a bit muddled anyway. It seems he can hardly open his mouth without contradicting himself:

"I'll give the £4000 to charity because it's not the money," O'Sullivan said. "It would be nice if there was a bigger prize".

""I wasn't going to pot the black because to make 147 and not really get a nice bonus was a bit disappointing because they are magical moments and they deserve magical bonuses,"" "...it gave me no thrill, I've had so many 147s".
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Think I agree with Ronnie on this one.

Think of the time and dedication it has taken to perfect that natural talent and £4k for that level of skill and entertainment is a pittance in relative terms. Couple of grand after tax.

Lots of money to most of us but think of the money he generates in tv revenue and for the sponsors and the organisers when he turns up to play so i think he has a point when others will be making a mint off his skill.

When you think of what the average championship and some 3rd division footballers earn for sitting on the bench at some clubs and being average or mediocre players i can see why someone who is world class at another sport/ game gets the hump for getting paid a relative pittance for doing something similar to scoring a hat trick in a cup final.

It might be a pittance to you Rodney, but to the average working person that's a months wages even after tax. This shows exactly what is wrong with modern sport, that this stuck up tosser can write off what's is in reality a sizeable chunk of money. It sounds like he's more than a bit muddled anyway. It seems he can hardly open his mouth without contradicting himself:

"I'll give the £4000 to charity becauseit's not the money," O'Sullivan said. "It would be nice if there was a bigger prize".

""I wasn't going to pot the black because to make 147 and not really get a nice bonus was a bit disappointing becausethey are magical momentsand they deserve magical bonuses,"" "...it gave me no thrill, I've had so many 147s".
    Is that not sort of the point about the money being offered, these professionals are not the average working person. It's like saying why doesn't the average manual labourer get as much as a heart surgeon? In a way I do agree with Ronnie but he could have shown a touch more class in the way he went about it
  • Sponsored links:

• You're comparing someone who just happens to be good at knocking snooker balls about with someone who saves lives. I think that say it all: The priorities are totally wrong.
  • I'd say that £4,000 for a month after tax is far from the average working person's monthly wage.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd say that £4,000 for a month after tax is far from the average working person's monthly wage.

that's a £70k salary
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd say that £4,000 for a month after tax is far from the average working person's monthly wage.

that's a £70k salary

Gissa job!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]You're comparing someone who just happens to be good at knocking snooker balls about with someone who saves lives. I think that say it all: The priorities are totally wrong.
    And you are comparing the average person with someone who has a natural talent and has worked very hard to reach the top of their game. I'm not saying one is more important than the other but you can't just say that because a professional sports person earns more than the average Joe it is wrong
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd say that £4,000 for a month after tax is far from the average working person's monthly wage.

that's a £70k salary

More than that...the break took him around ten minutes to compile...

Apparently the root of the problem is that the tournaments are struggling for prize money. The 147 breaks used to be insured against, but now they are becoming more of a common occurence the insurance is rising. The tournaments have a choice - either less prize money for winning the round stages and offer a prize for a 147 which might not be claimed, or increase the prize money all round.

That said Ronnie should have taken the last black. The prize for highest break would likely be his anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    he did take it blackforest?? also have people actually seen this it isn't as bad as everyone makes out he waited like 10 seconds to pot the black didnt make that big a deal, also that would be better imo if you lower the prize in first few rounds put onto 147, its much harder to get a 147 then win early rounds. regardless £4k is alot of money to me and everyone else but in sports that is ridiculous, granted more people are capable of getting it now but still you want to encourage players to go for it in effect as they said ronnies 147 was essentially for free there he could have easily gone for a pink at one point to make the clearance easier but he didnt, thats what the public want to see and he obliged for free

I found it funny when he was on 32 roughly and he asked what the highest break prize was then ref comes back when he is on 60 odd to say its the same as the highest break prize and he was just like oh ok then still cleared up. most talented player ever, most entertaining as they say haters gonna hate
  • Sorry I meant he should have taken it automatically rather than as circumastances panned out.
  • He was on 8 when he asked the prize
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]He was on 8 when he asked the prize

lol cheers JT amazing huh :P i only watched on youtube yesterday evenning obviously didnt take much notice of what he was on when he asked
  • Sponsored links:

• If he wanted to make a point he could have missed the last black...........he didn't have to pot it.
  • when ronnie does retire the viewing figures will plummet,the man keeps that sport alive.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]when ronnie does retire the viewing figures will plummet,the man keeps that sport alive.

spot on nolly
  • In this country perhaps but the future for snooker probably lies in the far east, especially China.
  • bunch of personalitys coming out of there
  • Ronnie about to face Jimmy White, would love to see Jimmy win but think it could be a whitewash, 3-0 O'Sullivan
  • [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]Ronnie about to face Jimmy White, would love to see Jimmy win but think it could be a whitewash, 3-0 O'Sullivan

Come on Ronnie! i'll go for 3-1 Ronnie
  • Can't quote over the page but Johnny Bev said "I played my first match of the season last night was toilet, should really practice leading up the season lol"

Am i the only one wondering why on earth an indoor sport has an actual 'season'. The weather doesn't affect it and it's hardly so strenuous the players need a pre season break!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Can't quote over the page but Johnny Bev said "I played my first match of the season last night was toilet, should really practice leading up the season lol"

Am i the only one wondering why on earth an indoor sport has an actual 'season'. The weather doesn't affect it and it's hardly so strenuous the players need a pre season break!

True mate but tbf our league only 10 teams this season! last year 13 before that we had more shame our main club we had 4 teams out of just before last season folded so gone downhill since, this year probably be finished march :o( sevenoakssnookerleague.co.uk if anyone wants a look, i now play out of sundridge
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Can't quote over the page but Johnny Bev said "I played my first match of the season last night was toilet, should really practice leading up the season lol"

Because most snooker clubs / CIU clubs don't have air con and playing snooker when it's hot is not much fun. My old snooker league folded and we joined another one but that only has 10 teams now as well.