Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Holiday

whats the first holiday you can remember ?

My Nan had a big bungaloo near Broadstairs so all her gran kids were dumped on her for a week or two. Great fun. Corn field out back. On beach every day. I was stunned that their busses were green and that the doors shut auotmatically ! Nan had a ginger cat i swear it was a mini tiger ! this thing was a killer, once when we were all having lunch it jumped on table with a grass snake it had caught ! never seen so many kids run for the hills in your life ! Must have had my holidays there for ages but great memories.

Comments

• Mine, about 74/75, Bideford Bay, Westward Ho in Devon, is the first I remember, first time abroad, Majorca 1988
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]whats the first holiday you can remember ?

My Nan had a big bungaloo near Broadstairs so all her gran kids were dumped on her for a week or two. Great fun. Corn field out back. On beach every day. I was stunned that their busses were green and that the doors shut auotmatically ! Nan had a ginger cat i swear it was a mini tiger ! this thing was a killer, once when we were all having lunch it jumped on table with a grass snake it had caught ! never seen so many kids run for the hills in your life ! Must have had my holidays there for ages but great memories.

Broadstairs for me as well in a caravan. Trouble was there were 9 of us in a four berth caravan. I tell you what though money was tight they were fantastic memorable times. Now my kids go where they want and dont appreciate it.
  • A Pontins holiday camp at Selsea in 1969 is my earlist recolection.
    We did loads of holiday camps in those days, Butlins at Bogna, Pontins in Devon somewhere.
    Then went to Sinah Warren on Hayling Island in '74 for the first time and went back nearly every year till '86.
    Then started doing W/E breaks there in late 80's early 90's. Had some wonderful times there and it's where I first got together with Mrs. Chirps.
    First abroad holiday - Binibecca, Menorca, 1979.
  • Butlins Minehead
  • On a P+O cruise round the med, i was only about 2 and Jimmy Saville was also a passenger. Apparently any time he come anywhere near us, i'd start screaming and crying.
  • Now then, now then, now then!

<wags cigar>
  • Guys and gals no politics talk on this cruise.... ooooooh(or whatever that noise was he made)
  • My Uncles farm in Tipperary. Spent my childhood summer holidays there being shipped off with some distant relation on a coach from Victoria and my parents collecting me and perhaps some of my other siblings five weeks later when they came over for their hols. Many happy times.

Lanzarote with the girls... 1987. X rated.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]My Uncles farm in Tipperary.

That was along way to go for a holiday!
  • Norfolk or Wales most probably , first time abroad was Brittany and first lads holiday was IBIZA
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Lanzarote with the girls... 1987. X rated.

Any pictures ?
  • edited April 2008
    My nan and grandads in limerick we were sent the same way Curb it mum and dad never came out until the last week of the 6 weeks holiday and i criticised the mcanns, we had only the coach driver watching me and my brother all the way there
  • Hastings in a caravan...around 1972..
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]On a P+O cruise round the med, i was only about 2 and Jimmy Saville was also a passenger. Apparently any time he come anywhere near us, i'd start screaming and crying.

That would be my reaction to him now...
  • ho dear Brunello.

But you could do in them days NLA. I used to wander round the ferry watching everyone throw up from the crossing! rough it was.
  • clacton
  • they were cracking sailings across to ireland some were so rough that i couldnt move.

when we got there though i would be out all day in a little village called killmallock your not wrong about being able to be free back then sometimes we would be miles away from my nans and not come back from 9 in the morning till 7 or 8 at night. wouldnt let my little un do it now though
  • "thousands are sailing across the western oceans to the lands of opertunity mer letters in a lottery" The Pogues.
  • Thing is im certain my Nans ketchup and her marmaade tasted better than it did at home and it never rained and i was never bored ! and the f**king Cat was huge i tell yer !! I always thought she was very very rich because she had a piano in her front room !!
  • Always used to go to Cornwall for my Holiday as a nipper. Used to take virtually a day to get there as cars only went at 30ph in the 1960's. Used to set off at midnight and my mum and dad would let me sleep on the back seat. Down the A303 passed Stonehenge and into Devon and Cornwall. Always a traffic jam at Indian Queens and then the excitement of seeing the waves coming in off the Atlantic Ocean as we drove into Newquay...Happy days

In the early 1970's we'd got a new car and my aunt had got a caravan at Wells Next the Sea in Norfolk so that's where I spent a few summers. Didin't quite take a day to get there but it was a really slow journey. Best Fish and Chip shop in the world on the quay and Cromer Zoo was always good for a laugh with Billy the kid. The all smoking, tea drinking, crisp eating ape. I think they call what he did animal cruelty these days....Happy days

By 1976 it was back to Newquay for a lads Holiday and then in 1978 it was the invasion of Spain (Lloret de Mar) for our first taste of hedonism and an 18-30 holiday....Happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• I was 16 the first time i went to Lloret de Mar 1973. managed to get mum and dad to let me go with 2 older mates who were 17 !! Those old grannys loved the young boy (they must have been 24) . Those educational holidays can be fun !!!!!!!
  • Went to Mudeford in Hampshire stayed in a bungelow,drove down there in my dad's old beige mini about 1973/4
  • I once pulled a fat northern girl on a skiing trip......took me 30 minutes to get her jeans off, unfortunatley the car ignition was off and the headlamps were on...cue flat battery.

My mate, who's car it was, was none too pleased especially as I couldn't remember where I left it and we were due to drive his GF to Geneva airport....
  • can remember a holiday camp in abergele (north wales), and a few weeks at a caravan park in reculver. don't know which was earliest, but reculver was where i first met oohahh. the turn out at the park was a little disappointing ;-)
  • IOW when news broke Elvis had died
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]IOW when news broke Elvis had died

Massive thunder storm that night.
  • edited April 2008
    Hastings in the fifties.

There was so much that seemed exciting the mini railway, boating lake, lifts up and down the Cliff. I kept thinking the carriage from the top would crash with the carriage from the bottom until my parents finally gave in and took me for a ride on it! I then could see separate rails.

I remember the magic of those hard pebbles that hurt your feet when you went into the water turning into sand when the tide went out although you still had to be careful of the rocks.

Walking along the prom and seeing the sea temperature and the stone that marked Hatings from St Leonards. I must have infuriated my parents by running up and down shouting Hastings or St Leonards depending on which side of it I was!

Simple things but I loved it....

It's a tragedy to see how rundown our coastal resorts have become .
  • The earliest I remember was Cyprus when I was about 6 visiting my late Grandad.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]On a P+O cruise round the med, i was only about 2 and Jimmy Saville was also a passenger. Apparently any time he come anywhere near us, i'd start screaming and crying.

wow. Cruises must have been pretty expensive in the fifties !!

My first was to my Grandparents in Pevensey. Weeks spent riding down country lanes, on the beach, playing footy etc.
    Those were the days.
  • Dorset I think, no M25 in those days so we'd have to set off early and it'd take all day.